Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2024, 12:33 PM

113 posts, read 98,237 times

Advertisements

It makes me scratch my head when the storms have been forecast for at least 3 days and the chief meteorologist doesn't make an appearance until the next morning.
FTR I'm a Brad Travis devotee, now that Jason Simpson is in B'ham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2024, 01:45 PM

13,119 posts, read 9,679,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn_native View Post
It makes me scratch my head when the storms have been forecast for at least 3 days and the chief meteorologist doesn't make an appearance until the next morning.
Which chief meteorologist was not on duty last night? I watched Ch 48 for the most part, and Brad was there the entire time, along with along with Chelsea Aaron.

I flipped to Ch 19 momentarily and didn't see Danielle there (maybe she's who you meant), and I don't know who the main met at 31 is now.

I thought Jason Simpson came here from Birmingham, then went on to do something besides television weather. Did he go back to TV?

My all time favorites are Dan Satterfield , H.D. Bagley, and Bob Baron.

Old 05-09-2024, 01:58 PM

3,013 posts, read 3,620,436 times
Quote:
She was on vacation again. Jessica is as good as any however. Whenever a station uses the hokey marketing term "weather authority" its hard to take them seriously. What does that even mean? Don't think they have authority over the weather. Lots of stations around the country use it.
Jeff Castle is back in Huntsville at WAAY. He was with Brad for many years prior before leaving.

Old 05-09-2024, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
She was on vacation again. Jessica is as good as any however. Whenever a station uses the hokey marketing term "weather authority" its hard to take them seriously. What does that even mean? Don't think they have authority over the weather. Lots of stations around the country use it.
Jeff Castle is back in Huntsville at WAAY. He was with Brad for many years prior before leaving.
Thanks. I remember him from before.

I read somewhere recently that Jackson County had been removed from the Huntsville/Florence television market and moved to Chattanooga. That's a move that makes you scratch your head.

Furthermore, Jackson County is in the Chattanooga CSA when it should be in Huntsville's. I believe Scottsboro is much more associated with Huntsville than it is Chattanooga, and it's the only major town in the county. But it's a big county in area. If they could split counties for MSAs and CSAs it would make more sense.

Old 05-09-2024, 02:55 PM

I've been hearing cicadas for about 3 days now, and today they're louder than ever after the rains and storms.

I checked the noise level with my iPhone app: 40dB inside my garage with the door closed and no other noise sources, 71dB outside on the driveway. Of course, that level includes other normal background noises so I'll check what that level is after the cicada invasion is over. I also don't know how accurate the dB meter is.

We're only supposed to be getting the 17-year ones in Huntsville. In some places, the 13-year ones overlap this year so it must be even louder in those areas.

Old 05-09-2024, 04:27 PM

113 posts, read 98,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Which chief meteorologist was not on duty last night? ...snip...
Camuto started the broadcast, Ben Smith showed up later. I didn't see Danielle at all until this morning, but truthfully was listening Brad Travis' live stream while I was doing something else on the computer.

Truthfully I don't watch WHNT anymore. New female anchor has trouble reading the teleprompter the two times I tried to watch it. (Goodness knows WHNT is pushing the new anchors with commercials!) Jason Simpson had the local knowledge of the area (what stores are at an intersection out in the boonies and he WAS the Weather Authority), but with him gone I've not been impressed by Danielle's coverage.
I will watch WHNT in the mornings, as Ben Smith is great IMO, but dislike the guy that replaces him some mornings (frequently wears blue blazer with bright chrome buttons).

Old 05-09-2024, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Thanks. I remember him from before.

I read somewhere recently that Jackson County had been removed from the Huntsville/Florence television market and moved to Chattanooga. That's a move that makes you scratch your head.

Furthermore, Jackson County is in the Chattanooga CSA when it should be in Huntsville's. I believe Scottsboro is much more associated with Huntsville than it is Chattanooga, and it's the only major town in the county. But it's a big county in area. If they could split counties for MSAs and CSAs it would make more sense.
It is being put back in the HSV market in October.
https://jcsentinel.com/news/article_...761940c48.html

Old 05-09-2024, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
It is being put back in the HSV market in October.
https://jcsentinel.com/news/article_...761940c48.html
Good. Only makes sense.

Old 05-09-2024, 06:54 PM

23,661 posts, read 70,702,206 times
Quote:
Camuto started the broadcast, Ben Smith showed up later. I didn't see Danielle at all until this morning, but truthfully was listening Brad Travis' live stream while I was doing something else on the computer.

Truthfully I don't watch WHNT anymore. New female anchor has trouble reading the teleprompter the two times I tried to watch it. (Goodness knows WHNT is pushing the new anchors with commercials!) Jason Simpson had the local knowledge of the area (what stores are at an intersection out in the boonies and he WAS the Weather Authority), but with him gone I've not been impressed by Danielle's coverage.
I will watch WHNT in the mornings, as Ben Smith is great IMO, but dislike the guy that replaces him some mornings (frequently wears blue blazer with bright chrome buttons).
Ben is good, and solid, but Jessica is a leader (I saw that when she first showed up). Danielle? OK, let me put it to you as a person who had responsibility over many locations. The place you have invested in as an "I'm in charge" chief - - - and you don't bother to show up for a major event??? I could be very cruel in pointing out how that is not correct, but I will simply say "The buck stops here" and those who fill in the gaps deserve more than those who do not because of vacation, or anything else. Someone would NOT want to be in my crew when a dereliction like this happened.

At the start, Jessica was guiding the newbie on what to do. When Ben came in, she stepped back since Ben has some seniority due to longevity, but it was obvious she was STILL the one with the smarts and control (and I mean NO disrespect to Ben, who I really like and who did a good job).

As perspective from someone who has changed companies over the years? Jessica has a couple of choices right now - her resumes need to go out to major markets and a video reel of her capabilities and a higher paying job, or she needs to be impressing on station management that she needs promotion NOW, before the backstabbing starts and she is pushed out for being competent. You don't show the incompetence or lack of caring of your superior without there being some fallout.

To the current high paid employee - Yeah, shift the product that shows what will happen in the next 25 hours so that YOU get airtime rather than inform farmers and others when events will happen. I'm talking to you, Blondie. I don't care how well you dress, or your outside activities. Weather. W E A T H E R. It is a job.

Old 05-09-2024, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Ben is good, and solid, but Jessica is a leader (I saw that when she first showed up). Danielle? OK, let me put it to you as a person who had responsibility over many locations. The place you have invested in as an "I'm in charge" chief - - - and you don't bother to show up for a major event??? I could be very cruel in pointing out how that is not correct, but I will simply say "The buck stops here" and those who fill in the gaps deserve more than those who do not because of vacation, or anything else. Someone would NOT want to be in my crew when a dereliction like this happened.

At the start, Jessica was guiding the newbie on what to do. When Ben came in, she stepped back since Ben has some seniority due to longevity, but it was obvious she was STILL the one with the smarts and control (and I mean NO disrespect to Ben, who I really like and who did a good job).

As perspective from someone who has changed companies over the years? Jessica has a couple of choices right now - her resumes need to go out to major markets and a video reel of her capabilities and a higher paying job, or she needs to be impressing on station management that she needs promotion NOW, before the backstabbing starts and she is pushed out for being competent. You don't show the incompetence or lack of caring of your superior without there being some fallout.

To the current high paid employee - Yeah, shift the product that shows what will happen in the next 25 hours so that YOU get airtime rather than inform farmers and others when events will happen. I'm talking to you, Blondie. I don't care how well you dress, or your outside activities. Weather. W E A T H E R. It is a job.
Yes Jessica is still learning but she is and will be a great meteorologist in a major market probably sooner than later.
Grace Anello at WAAY is another talent on the rise.
Brad though is the standard now in the HSV market. He is very good at connecting with the audience without leaving them behind with technical jargon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area