Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:47 AM

17,411 posts, read 16,566,992 times

Advertisements

I'm curious to know your experience with having a garage floor professionally coated with epoxy or polyurea.

Which would you recommend and how long do they last?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:59 AM

44,643 posts, read 61,669,787 times
I've had 2 neighbors go the epoxy route and both after about 4 years were not happy. Fading and deterioration is their complaint.
I decided to go the Race Deck flooring method and after 20 years the floor still looks great. Cost is about the same and you can save by doing it yourself.
https://racedeck.com/

Old Yesterday, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
I've had 2 neighbors go the epoxy route and both after about 4 years were not happy. Fading and deterioration is their complaint.
I decided to go the Race Deck flooring method and after 20 years the floor still looks great. Cost is about the same and you can save by doing it yourself.
https://racedeck.com/
Do you mean DIY racedeck costs the same as a professionally done epoxy/polyurea?

Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM

19,817 posts, read 22,710,079 times
I did a DIY epoxy floor in our house back in WV. Worst thing ever. I can't tell how many times I did the horizontal flop on that floor. I even added sand for traction and that didn't help. I scraped it all up and that took longer than applying it.

My wife was thinking about having the concrete in her garden room ground down and polished. Looks like this- https://www.grindkingsflooring.com/p...-seal-concrete

I said "Uh- you remember how many times I went toots up in the garage back in Inwood?"
"oh yeah. Forget that idea."

All my floors are now plain concrete. If they get stained I don't care. I clean them to the best of my ability and leave it be.

Old Yesterday, 01:43 PM

17,480 posts, read 66,114,115 times
Out of the two choices- the polyurea.
Epoxy just doesn't have the durability/longevity that polyurea does.

But, if you want the best "all-around" garage floor...
RaceDeck or any of the other similar products. Not only is it a DIY product, you can take it with you if you move!!!

Old Yesterday, 02:43 PM

The RaceDeck and similar flooring is not exactly what I'm looking for but I can see how those might be good options.

I'm looking more for a smooth coating that is slip proof. I think that we can get that with polyurea but I was interested in hearing from those who have that in their garage. I just like the clean look of it.

Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM

24,624 posts, read 10,947,984 times
We went with Gladiator tile three houses ago and too the floor with us and added on as needed.

Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM

2,484 posts, read 1,558,230 times
I put epoxy down in one bay and had a pro do another. The floor I coated is flaking in areas that I didn’t prep well enough and coat thick enough. The floor the pro did is perfect after about ten years. He used something a little different and flaked it with chips of plastic and sprinkled traction additive over it. It does have some traction, almost like a matte finish, while my side is more shiny but a bit slippery. It’s a light tan color and I like it. Will likely get the one side coated again.

Old Today, 05:55 AM

5,587 posts, read 6,519,238 times
I just had an epoxy floor put in in my newly enclosed back porch. Of course I made sure it would not slippery as I am using it as a game room (albeit very small area). I like it so much I am having my front porch epoxied as well to match.

Old Today, 07:12 AM

4,553 posts, read 2,702,712 times
I have worked in multiple manufacturing plants and lab facilities where they tried to paint/coat concrete floors and it never works out well. Basically you convert a zero-maintenance flooring to a high-maintenance flooring. The fundamental problem is that concrete is porous and absorbs water, which will later come out. If the concrete's not painted there's no problem, but if it is, that water's got to go somewhere and what it does is it lifts off the paint/coating. Painted concrete floors just add another layer of constant maintenance - along with going round touching up the paint on the walls where people have banged fork trucks or hand carts into them, now the maintenance staff have to go round and repaint/touch up the floor paint which will promptly come up in a new location. In a home garage, of course, YOU are the maintenance staff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House