Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 05:58 AM

4,804 posts, read 3,521,029 times

Advertisements

Curious if there are any recommendations for air purifiers, especially ones I can run while on vacation, to reduce/eliminate dog smells.
Both dogs are washed once a week, vacuum every 2 to 3 days, and wash pet linen on couch and beds..
Still has smell, which I assume is just in carpet, couch and bed.
I dont want febreeze or anything perfumes, just something that gets rid of the smell/odors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2024, 08:13 AM

5,907 posts, read 7,001,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Curious if there are any recommendations for air purifiers, especially ones I can run while on vacation, to reduce/eliminate dog smells.
Both dogs are washed once a week, vacuum every 2 to 3 days, and wash pet linen on couch and beds..
I dont want febreeze or anything perfumes, just something that gets rid of the smell/odors.
Can't help, but did mis-read the subject as "Pot" smell reducer.
Of course, whatever may work for pot, may also work for pets !

Old 04-28-2024, 08:17 AM

Oh Lord, I am sorry. Pet definetley

Old 04-28-2024, 09:06 AM

22,681 posts, read 24,677,688 times
A carbon-filter in an air-cleaner is one of the best ways to remove odors.

Old 04-29-2024, 08:26 PM

10,380 posts, read 6,940,141 times
"Pooph"

Dunno if the TV commercials are really representative of it's effectiveness, though.

Old 04-29-2024, 08:53 PM

2,713 posts, read 1,218,395 times
I got the Germ Guardian air purifier. It works really well with two cats.

When covid hit I purchased the Germ Guardian with the regular hepa filter. I noticed a difference even with two cats inside 24/7.

After covid I no longer had my furbabies and purchased a product that stunk really bad to me and few other people. What worked on that stink was the same Germ Guardian air filter but with a different filter.

I used the Hepa B for VOC I made one mistake by keeping it on full speed for a few hours when one hour at a time would have been better in that room.

So it worked with two different filters one for pets and the other or VOC smells. I wouldn't be surprised to find the VOC filter would have worked for animal smells.

If I were you I would have them stay somewhere for a whole day and if possible one night while trying a new VOC filter for one hour you don't want them to get sick from the smell of that it is strong will go away soon and not notice any other smells at least I didn't. While they are out of the home try using the Germ Guardian regular filter if that isn't making a difference withing two hours then I would use the VOC Hepa filter. Keep the VOC Hepa filter after having it in use for one hour in each room. It will be strong so I do not recommend more than an hour in each room for that filter. I bet you notice a difference. Oh and please if you can get the dogs to a pet groomers they will do a double clean and good brushing before and after. Good luck.

Old 04-30-2024, 04:10 AM

Do the UV light systems really make that much difference?

Old 04-30-2024, 05:37 AM

4,920 posts, read 3,348,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post

Call me a skeptic, but I don't see how any air purifier is going get the smell out of carpet.

Old 04-30-2024, 08:16 AM

4,595 posts, read 3,794,705 times
This air purifier is good for large rooms and a good carbon filter, and not outrageously expensive.
https://www.amazon.com/Winix-5500-2-...ef=sr_1_1_sspa

There are many others though, just do a search and make sure they have a carbon filter.

Try the Arm and Hammer carpet deodorizer powder, that works well but USE SPARINGLY!

Old 04-30-2024, 08:18 AM

3,385 posts, read 1,993,226 times
Bathing them once a week might be a bit hard on their skin. I would check with your vet to see if that's advisable for them. There is a very distinctive "wet dog smell" that might be getting onto the rugs and other things if they rub up against them while drying off.

We recently moved into a new house with a walk in shower and I decided to give one of our dogs her bath in the shower. I came back hours later and that shower still smelled like wet dog even after I had rinsed it off after her shower/bath and it had already dried. No more shower baths for her!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House