Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2024, 11:35 AM

20,803 posts, read 8,643,634 times

Advertisements

A veterinarian tells you why your dogs stink and how to solve the problem.

https://vetexplainspets.com/how-to-g...nky-dog-smell/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2024, 04:52 PM

26,039 posts, read 22,230,983 times
Gee, these sound like really smelly pets. I know by changing dog food, getting rid of "lamb", it really helped with the smell. Two large dogs eating that was tough to deal with, and everywhere they laid smelled like that.

So, OP is this just body odor, like with an oily type dog, which tend to be stronger, or are these "potty" type issues. Had to ask. That would make a difference, as that is the kind of smell that permeates the walls and everything else when it is associated with urine or feces.

I liked to give the dogs the greenies in order to keep their mouth "fresher", as they lick everything, which doesn't help with smell.

Carpeting is especially bad when it comes to odors, any odors. We used to use something that came in a red container, a dry shampoo of sorts (Resolve), and at one time we had a machine that used the "Capture" which was pretty good.

If they are eating lamb based food, try maybe chicken based. I suspect "salmon" based might cause a less than pleasant smell also.

Old 05-05-2024, 05:04 PM

23,447 posts, read 19,085,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I suspect "salmon" based might cause a less than pleasant smell also.
Fish stink was one major reason I didn't feed my dogs salmon/fish-based foods. I don't really care how healthy they're touted to be. I can provide omega 3s in other ways.

Old 05-11-2024, 07:53 AM

84 posts, read 40,219 times
Carpet is the worst for lingering odors and is the largest air filter in your house. This is abrasive so don't use every time you vacuum, but use it occasionally. It works well for odors:

https://www.amazon.com/Arm-Hammer-St...FXM/ref=sr_1_4

Old 05-11-2024, 01:02 PM

23,447 posts, read 19,085,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laniakea2MASS View Post
Carpet is the worst for lingering odors and is the largest air filter in your house. This is abrasive so don't use every time you vacuum, but use it occasionally. It works well for odors:

https://www.amazon.com/Arm-Hammer-St...FXM/ref=sr_1_4
I used this on a section of bedroom carpet that always smelled musty. It opened onto an oddly angled bathroom with notoriously poor venting. Stupid remodel by people who shouldn't have been allowed anywhere near a construction project. That carpet was relatively new when I bought the house, no staining, no signs of flooding or water damage and I know the previous owners didn't have pets. It was just perfectly positioned to trap and hold airborne/foot traffic moisture from the bathroom. I used the listed product several times, but the fragrance was overwhelming. It probably did do something, but hard to tell just what. The fragrance was almost as bad as the mustiness and lingered for weeks. If I had planned to stay in the house over the long term I would have ripped the carpet/pad out entirely.

Old Today, 06:11 PM

4,804 posts, read 3,521,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
It won't.

If it's that nasty, you need to replace it.
Yes, the carpet is going to go. I am looking at what an air purifier can do, as the smell is still within the box of the house. All tools available are going to be used if they work..

Old Today, 06:13 PM

4,804 posts, read 3,521,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Fish stink was one major reason I didn't feed my dogs salmon/fish-based foods. I don't really care how healthy they're touted to be. I can provide omega 3s in other ways.
Never thought of that. We do give our dogs salmon treat occasionally.. Mostly chicken though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House