Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 10:47 PM

3 posts, read 14,740 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of having a new house built and it is about to be completed. The house is all hard floors so I installed four 30' retractable hoses (Hide A Hose). As you cannot run an electric brush for carpet using the retractable hose, so I see this being ideal for my hard floor only situation. That being said, the only thing left to do is decide what brand of power unit to buy.

I have been doing some online research and talking to some central vacuum dealers. I have discovered thus far that machines such as VacuFlo, Nutone, and Honeywell are what the experts consider to be "contractor quality" machines oppose to a specialty store product. I have been told by many dealers that these are basic machines made with the lowest quality internal parts. So I have narrowed it down to three brands; M.D., BEAM, & Cyclo Vac. Has anyone had any experience with any of these three machines or know someone that has? All input and suggestions would be very helpful and appreciated as I need decide on a unit within the next couple weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 05:51 AM

17,720 posts, read 29,915,186 times
24 years of experience with CentraLux - Aerus Home
Worked very well
I would buy again

Old 04-19-2016, 06:17 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,328,156 times
I have a central vac and personally feel it's more trouble than it's worth to use. It's so much easier to just pull out my Shark and vacuum the wood floor and then switch to the beater brush and vacuum the area rugs at the same time.

I have a Nutone central vac
and it's over 20 years old but I've never had a problem with the unit itself and it's never needed servicing. It works every time. Central vacs are a pain in the neck when they get a clog in the pipes though. If you've got little kids with little toys just watch what you pick up.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:25 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,074,241 times
We have a 22 yr old M.D. (Modern Day). Never had a problem with it or serviced it. Can't say if it is better or worse than any other. Things made 22 yrs ago may be better than what is made today.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:45 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,542,166 times
Default Very true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
I have a central vac and personally feel it's more trouble than it's worth to use. It's so much easier to just pull out my Shark and vacuum the wood floor and then switch to the beater brush and vacuum the area rugs at the same time.

I have a Nutone central vac
and it's over 20 years old but I've never had a problem with the unit itself and it's never needed servicing. It works every time. Central vacs are a pain in the neck when they get a clog in the pipes though. If you've got little kids with little toys just watch what you pick up.
The mindset of the firms that still market central vacs is simply out of step with reality of how most home owners keep the homes clean -- it is not easy to store and drag around the "anaconda" that central vacuums require. Sure, it is nice to have the dust collector unit in the garage or basement, but unless you have some crazy deep shag carpet or a house full of llamas you just are better off taking the dust chamber off a portable vacuum and emptying that directly into the trash anyhow.

If the OP simply MUST have a central vac I suspect Beam will be the last one to fold, though Modern Day still has a strong dealer network too Company Info - BEAM Electrolux

Old 04-19-2016, 10:47 AM

4,573 posts, read 5,694,725 times
Default I'm waiting for somebody to invent a central vac inlet adapter to make your Roomba self-cleaning/emptying.

Need a retrofit kit for central vac inlets, convert Roomba to self-cleaning/emptying like the Toshiba Torneo Robo.

I do like the baseboard "sweep inlets".

Old 04-19-2016, 11:22 AM

400 posts, read 576,346 times
We have a central vac and a Dyson. The Dyson stays parked. I don't understand the central vac hate. Is it really that much harder pulling a 20 foot hose around the house, vs the Dyson and its 20 foot cord? I don't see it. But to each his own. We also have a lot of hardwoods, and I appreciate how quickly I can clean the entire floor with our vac.

I can't remember the brand off the top of my head, but I'll try and check when I get home.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:46 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,591,137 times
We like ours. We have Lux. I don't get it either - the hate that is. We have had it for 2 years now and really like it. I actually want to get another shorter hose to keep one in the garage and use the one we have now for the house. I don't find it inconvenient at all.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:32 AM

400 posts, read 576,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
We like ours. We have Lux. I don't get it either - the hate that is. We have had it for 2 years now and really like it. I actually want to get another shorter hose to keep one in the garage and use the one we have now for the house. I don't find it inconvenient at all.
We have this setup and it works awesome for cleaning out the cars. Just plug and go.

My only advice is to make sure you get a hose long enough to reach to the other side of your garage, and then figure in some extra feet for good measure. Our hose only reaches about half way across the garage, and it's a pain to have to move your car so the vacuum hose will reach. It works, but for the minimal cost of the extra feet of hose it's probably worth it.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:11 PM

3 posts, read 14,740 times
I figured that dragging the hose around could become kind of a pain. So I did an extensive amount of research about the systems and different solutions to this hose issue. I then discovered this,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6UNZPut89w. The hide-a-hose system where the hose actually gets sucked back into the wall. So I had four 30' installed and I am VERY excited to try it out once I move in. Has anyone had any experience with the Cyclo Vac units? I went to another dealer today who sells; M.D. (Modern Day), BEAM, Electrolux, Cyclo Vac, & Vacuflo. He said the same thing the other dealer did about quality. Except he included BEAM/Electrolux in the category of being contractor grade machines saying that the internal parts are very poor quality.

He then went on to explain that Cyclo Vac is the only manufacture left that doesn't use Chinese or Mexican made motors and circuit boards. He said all of the parts come from Italy, Canada, & USA. He actually had a machine opened up showing the insides of the machine (pretty cool). I suppose this is why they are the only manufacture to offer an optional 25yr warranty. I found all of this to be quite appealing because I know how poor the quality typically is of other products that are outsourced to places like China & Mexico (other than their food). So, any thoughts or experience with the Cyclo Vac? Based off my research and talking with various dealers these products appear to be the best on the market.

Last edited by Rob_Thompson01; 04-21-2016 at 08:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House