Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2023, 07:51 PM

21,881 posts, read 12,936,608 times

Advertisements

OMG; it's so obvious it was intentional! How is this even debatable? He may not have had the exact intention of murdering him, but he didn't care if he DID murder him. He was not unaware that it was a razor-sharp blade he threw up to block him knowing it would make contact with him. Disgusting!

Editing to correct: not to block him, but to knock him out of the way. Even worse.

Last edited by otterhere; 11-04-2023 at 08:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2023, 07:55 AM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
OMG; it's so obvious it was intentional! How is this even debatable? He may not have had the exact intention of murdering him, but he didn't care if he DID murder him. He was not unaware that it was a razor-sharp blade he threw up to block him knowing it would make contact with him. Disgusting!

Editing to correct: not to block him, but to knock him out of the way. Even worse.
How is it debatable? Because no hockey player is able to intentionally do that, on skates and in full gear, and while in motion. The same type of thing has happened before, only not resulting in death. It’s quite simple: You wouldn’t be able to intentionally do that. I wouldn’t either. Neither would Connor McDavid. It’s the result of losing balance. I’d say at worst, he is just a bad skater, hence what happened.

And… the players, even from the opposing team, are standing by Petgrave. They also know that this simply cannot be done intentionally.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/americ...ea652acc36?amp

Last edited by Arcenal813; 11-05-2023 at 08:38 AM..

Old 11-05-2023, 03:55 PM

6,538 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
How is it debatable? Because no hockey player is able to intentionally do that, on skates and in full gear, and while in motion. The same type of thing has happened before, only not resulting in death. It’s quite simple: You wouldn’t be able to intentionally do that. I wouldn’t either. Neither would Connor McDavid. It’s the result of losing balance. I’d say at worst, he is just a bad skater, hence what happened.

And… the players, even from the opposing team, are standing by Petgrave. They also know that this simply cannot be done intentionally.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/americ...ea652acc36?amp
You can’t skate forward and put weight on right leg and extend your left leg out? Are you a beginner skater? No wonder my local team hands you guys your asses in tourneys. FYI, they don’t teach what the dirtball did in any skating school.

Last edited by wamer27; 11-05-2023 at 04:06 PM..

Old 11-05-2023, 04:43 PM

Nonsense; of course a skater could deliberately do that. Hope he has a better defense than "it can't be done," because I'm sure the prosecution can prove that it CAN be done and was.

Old 11-06-2023, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
You can’t skate forward and put weight on right leg and extend your left leg out? Are you a beginner skater? No wonder my local team hands you guys your asses in tourneys. FYI, they don’t teach what the dirtball did in any skating school.
(I was trying to edit my initial response, but C-D bugged lol... Mods, please delete the previous message.)

No, your local team does not hand the team I played for their asses. At all. Who is "you guys?" Where do you think I played? Entertain me with this one. If your assumption was even somewhat close, as in within a 300 mile radius, and a close enough guess to which league I last fully played in, I'll gladly send you a link to my last youth team roster.
From there you can guess which player I was. There weren't many who looked like me. It was a heck of a final youth season and a ride I will forever cherish.

And no, I can’t deliberately extend it THAT high, let alone in full gear, and in addition, aiming at a moving target, all while in motion. I've always been known as a prolific skater though, but me saying this in an internet forum doesn't prove any point, and I am aware of that.
It’s a reflex when off balance. And it happens quite often, minus the fatal injury. Zednik comes to mind. I forget who, but more recently, I remember a player getting cut in the face by a rogue, high skate blade from a guy that was off balance. And the opposing team players, who were there at the game at ice level, all seem to be in agreement with that.

And the culprit here isn't the greatest skater by any means. If anyone thinks Ryan Reaves is a terrible skater, this guy is 50 times worse.

Last edited by Arcenal813; 11-06-2023 at 05:42 AM..

Old 11-06-2023, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancho Relaxo View Post
Yes. I was just up there in Hibbing a couple weeks ago. Petgrave led that league in PM and has been ejected from a few games. Also heard he was kicked out the ECHL. He's a goon and a thug and should be barred from pro hockey forever.
Suspended for a slew foot incident. Not "kicked out." He continued to play in the ECHL after that. Needless to say, his career (and life as he knew it) is over.

Old 11-06-2023, 05:59 AM

I can't believe the deniers here. Have you ever watched figure skating? They extend their leg/foot "that high." No, not in "full gear," but these are strong young men who are ATHLETES. Does the gear restrict your movement? If so, it's not very practical for playing ice hockey! So what is the defense; he slipped, and his leg flew up in the air? Oops! Clearly not what happened.

Old 11-06-2023, 06:16 AM

6,538 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
(I was trying to edit my initial response, but C-D bugged lol... Mods, please delete the previous message.)

No, your local team does not hand the team I played for their asses. At all. Who is "you guys?" Where do you think I played? Entertain me with this one. If your assumption was even somewhat close, as in within a 300 mile radius, and a close enough guess to which league I last fully played in, I'll gladly send you a link to my last youth team roster.
From there you can guess which player I was. There weren't many who looked like me. It was a heck of a final youth season and a ride I will forever cherish.

And no, I can’t deliberately extend it THAT high, let alone in full gear, and in addition, aiming at a moving target, all while in motion. I've always been known as a prolific skater though, but me saying this in an internet forum doesn't prove any point, and I am aware of that.
It’s a reflex when off balance. And it happens quite often, minus the fatal injury. Zednik comes to mind. I forget who, but more recently, I remember a player getting cut in the face by a rogue, high skate blade from a guy that was off balance. And the opposing team players, who were there at the game at ice level, all seem to be in agreement with that.

And the culprit here isn't the greatest skater by any means. If anyone thinks Ryan Reaves is a terrible skater, this guy is 50 times worse.
The Twitter video I have in slow motion sure looks like he intentionally put his leg out impede someone. He wasn’t checked, zero reason he’d falling…he only fell once his kick hit the target.

Watch this video, he mentions my team I together we got him to play on. There’s about 6-7 current (Brock Boeser) and former NHL guys playing in this league. I do realize it’s roller hockey, but we all play ice too.

Side note, did you guys ever play Shattuck St Mary’s? All the top US east coast prep schools and Shattuck and a team Austria were in town for a tourney this weekend, Shattuck won championship game 13-0.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1duUxcaDqw

Old 11-07-2023, 05:29 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
People are judging by a blurry video that does not clearly show whether it was intentional or not. Is there a clearer video from another angle(s)?

Old 11-07-2023, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I can't believe the deniers here. Have you ever watched figure skating? They extend their leg/foot "that high." No, not in "full gear," but these are strong young men who are ATHLETES. Does the gear restrict your movement? If so, it's not very practical for playing ice hockey! So what is the defense; he slipped, and his leg flew up in the air? Oops! Clearly not what happened.
Yes. The gear restricts movement by a significant margin. That was a joke question, right? Have you ever seen hockey gear? Ever picked up a full hockey bag?
And hockey players are not pro figure skaters. Aside from the fact that they are wearing 50 ponds of restrictive armor, and the extreme differences in skate types, figure skaters train for hours, daily, for years, to be able to pull of the acrobatics you see. And they still often fail. Sure, some hockey players can figure skate, as they might have partaken in the sport growing up... With no gear, and in actual figure skates. Two, every single move during their routines are perfectly timed, and it's the primary reason why cuts from high leg skate blades are uncommon in synchronized skating. Because aiming a skate blade at a specific moving target, while in motion, and in an off balance position, is incredibly difficult to do, even for a professional figure skater. Figure skating is all about balance and timing, and the high leg motions you see gain the skater points for grace, and the ability to maintain balance... The high legs in figure skating are controlled balancing movements... because the natural motion when losing balance on skates while trying to stay up, is to raise up the off leg to regain balance. Skating in hockey is largely based off reflex. No one is out there on the ice thinking about how they're skating.

And as of right now, yes, the defense, and the remarks/comments from the actual players who were there, at ice level, not behind a tiny blurry screen, have strongly echo'd that. Skate clipped the other skate, he lost balance, leg flew up in the air.

Not sure if there's any point even responding to this post, really. Nothing you said there would make any sense to anyone who's ever played hockey, regardless of their stance on this matter. The worst offense being the cluelessness about hockey gear. Seriously baffled that anyone would even ask that.

In all seriousness, I would suggest you do yourself a favor, find a pro shop some place, and try on a full set of hockey gear, top to bottom.

Last edited by Arcenal813; 11-07-2023 at 01:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey