Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2024, 08:00 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,006,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Caps don't really deserve to make the playoffs. But, they're in the drivers seat right now for the final wildcard.

Have to give a call out to Ovechkin, who.. I think he had something like 6 goals through the first 43 games.. in the past 35 games, he has 24.

The questions about whether he'd get to Gretsky's record.. Those have quieted down quite a bit.

The only real question will be whether he does it next season or in the 25-26 season.
Yeah, as of right now, Caps are the last wild card.

Ovi didn't have any points today, but there are still 2 games left for Washington. I think Ovi is at or around 850 goals? My guess is he gets the record next season. As you pointed out, he's had a "down" year with 30+ goals. If next season is ay better, he'll get 40 no problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2024, 02:39 PM

43,439 posts, read 77,401,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Looks like the Coyotes are done with the 20 year soap opera of finding a real home.

I have never seen anything like this. I could have sworn Bettman was going to put up his house to make it work in Phx.

It ain't over until it's over.

"Over the next few days, when a sale announcement comes, it will become clear how complex this transaction will be. One rumored piece of the sale appears to be set in stone, per John Gambadoro of Arizona Sports. Current Coyotes owner Alex Meruelo will indeed retain the intellectual rights to the franchise as part of the sale. If he can get an arena built within five years and various other benchmarks are met, he’ll have first right of refusal for a Phoenix-area team and can trigger an expansion draft. In doing so, he’d need to return the $1B he’ll receive from the league for the franchise this offseason as an expansion fee."

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/arizona-coyotes

Old 04-15-2024, 11:03 AM

17,501 posts, read 15,634,113 times
Quote:
Caps don't really deserve to make the playoffs. But, they're in the drivers seat right now for the final wildcard.

Have to give a call out to Ovechkin, who.. I think he had something like 6 goals through the first 43 games.. in the past 35 games, he has 24.

The questions about whether he'd get to Gretsky's record.. Those have quieted down quite a bit.

The only real question will be whether he does it next season or in the 25-26 season.
I agree about the Caps really not deserving it. Just looked, and their goal differential in -40!!! That’s HORRIBLE for a playoff contender.

Old 04-16-2024, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
I agree about the Caps really not deserving it. Just looked, and their goal differential in -40!!! That’s HORRIBLE for a playoff contender.
If there is one team that does not deserve the playoffs, it's the Flyers. They looked like a playoff team for a good portion of the year, but over the last two months they have completely pi$$ed away their chances. Even John Tortorella's press conferences have illustrated this.

Old 04-16-2024, 08:57 PM

17,701 posts, read 15,427,856 times
Quote:

They're in because.. Someone had to make it. I don't expect a deep run, here. avoiding being swept is a lofty goal at this point.

As for what sluggermatt asked.. I believe he wound up with 853 goals.So.. 41 to tie, 42 to break.

I suspect we'll REALLY be seeing the countdowns next year.

Caps goaltending has been awful this year. Lindgren has been.. Fair.. Kuemper.. Fairly awful. Scoring has been down quite a bit as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
If there is one team that does not deserve the playoffs, it's the Flyers. They looked like a playoff team for a good portion of the year, but over the last two months they have completely pi$$ed away their chances. Even John Tortorella's press conferences have illustrated this.

Agree.. Especially after what they pulled tonight. Basically, they got the Pens kicked out of the playoffs.

Now.. MAYBE their coach didn't realize that they had already been eliminated and pulling the goalie with 5 minutes left in a tie game was no advantage to them..

but.. He did. Caps took advantage and Pens are out.

Old 04-17-2024, 08:43 AM

17,501 posts, read 15,634,113 times
Quote:
They're in because.. Someone had to make it. I don't expect a deep run, here. avoiding being swept is a lofty goal at this point.

As for what sluggermatt asked.. I believe he wound up with 853 goals.So.. 41 to tie, 42 to break.

Caps goaltending has been awful this year. Lindgren has been.. Fair.. Kuemper.. Fairly awful. Scoring has been down quite a bit as well.

Agree.. Especially after what they pulled tonight. Basically, they got the Pens kicked out of the playoffs.

Now.. MAYBE their coach didn't realize that they had already been eliminated and pulling the goalie with 5 minutes left in a tie game was no advantage to them..

Yeah... Shame for the Pens. No excuse for how poorly they performed mid-season.
Another disappointing team that had no reason being so bad was NJ Devils. Like, HOW??? The team is star-studded young power.

As for the Flyers, I hope whoever decided it was a good idea to pull the goalie gets forced into a fight against Ryan Reaves.

Old 04-17-2024, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Yeah... Shame for the Pens. No excuse for how poorly they performed mid-season.
Another disappointing team that had no reason being so bad was NJ Devils. Like, HOW??? The team is star-studded young power.

As for the Flyers, I hope whoever decided it was a good idea to pull the goalie gets forced into a fight against Ryan Reaves.

What is it with Philly helping Washington? Remember when the Eagles pulled Hurts a few years back and put Sage Rosenfels (I think) in at QB? No. Rosenfels is nearly 50, it wasn't him.. Nate something that starts with S.. Sudfeld.. Nate Sudfeld.. That's who it was.

Old 04-17-2024, 04:37 PM

Quote:

I think you're right here. Torts had no clue. He knew that his team needed a W in regulation to not be eliminated at the time.

Old 04-17-2024, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
I think you're right here. Torts had no clue. He knew that his team needed a W in regulation to not be eliminated at the time.

An article came out basically confirming it. The timing was quite close, so, it's at least believable.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/us/nhl/n...ings-equalizer

Old 04-18-2024, 07:23 PM

8,813 posts, read 10,279,428 times
That was a crazy sequence of events. The Flyers had to win in regulation and aren't playing for other teams to clinch, contrary to what some fans on other outlets seem to believe. Can't rely on others to bail you out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey