Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like the name 'Kraken'?
Yes 15 31.25%
No 25 52.08%
Indifferent 8 16.67%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 11:54 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,257,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
I definitely think it sounds like an ECHL team, but team names jumped the shark for me when Anaheim was allowed to call their (then) team the Mighty Ducks. Let’s also be honest, the name Kraken didn’t gain widespread popularity until Pirates of the Caribbean 2 came out. So to me, this name will always be tied to that movie in many ways.

I’m just a bigger fan of names that have to do with the local/regional history or culture of the city. NJ Devils, Carolina Hurricanes, Chicago Blackhawks, Edmonton Oilers, St Louis Blues, etc.

Edit: I think the colors are awesome.
I agree. Like couldn't Seattle have chosen a name to honor their city or state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2020, 04:30 PM

6,746 posts, read 3,361,971 times
The logos & colors are okay, but I think the name is awful. I would guess that there are a lot of people that will have to look up what a kraken really is. I sort of knew, more or less, but looked it up anyway.

The name does leave itself open to a lot of umm …. jokes. I can think of a few but will leave it alone. They picked the name, they have to live with it.

For the record, I'm a life-long Blackhawks fan. Retired to Southern Nevada right before the 1st season the Golden Knights played. I wasn't crazy about that name either and thought they could've done better, but it is what it is.

Old 07-26-2020, 05:29 PM

8,801 posts, read 10,236,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I'm amazed they didn't go with Emeralds.
Between that, Sockeyes and Kraken, Emeralds was IMO the best of a 'meh' group of finalists. Sockeyes are simply a fish, nothing more nothing less. Emeralds is more of a Soccer or Baseball name I guess, but Seattle is known as the 'Emerald City'. Kraken was the worst of the bunch, and yet they go with it, go figure......

Perhaps the MLS team should take up the 'Emeralds' name and let NHL Seattle take the name 'Sounders'. Sounders is IMO a great name and despite representing the Puget Sound, it even has sort of a dual meaning being that Seattle was the birthplace of grunge music. I'd be on board with that.

Old 07-27-2020, 12:10 AM

3,687 posts, read 2,408,199 times
Voted yes.

I like it.

Old 07-27-2020, 08:30 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,257,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Between that, Sockeyes and Kraken, Emeralds was IMO the best of a 'meh' group of finalists. Sockeyes are simply a fish, nothing more nothing less. Emeralds is more of a Soccer or Baseball name I guess, but Seattle is known as the 'Emerald City'. Kraken was the worst of the bunch, and yet they go with it, go figure......

Perhaps the MLS team should take up the 'Emeralds' name and let NHL Seattle take the name 'Sounders'. Sounders is IMO a great name and despite representing the Puget Sound, it even has sort of a dual meaning being that Seattle was the birthplace of grunge music. I'd be on board with that.
I kind of liked the "Sea Lions" as it paired well with the "Seahawks". I also liked the sound of the "Evergreens" and how it relates to Washington, however, that would be a wussy and non-intimidating name of a team. Then again Toronto is named after a maple leaf, soooo maybe I'm wrong.

All in all, Seattle could have chosen better. Kraken....blah.

Old 07-28-2020, 04:47 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I'm amazed they didn't go with Emeralds.
Amazed? Not sure it was seriously considered. From everything I read it was between Kraken, Sockeyes and Totems.

Old 07-29-2020, 09:27 AM

3,657 posts, read 2,937,139 times
What's Kraken?

You can tell I was a teen in the 80s.

Old 07-29-2020, 09:50 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
For those unimpressed by Seattle's new hockey team name, many of us are beyond thrilled with it. For those that only know the Kraken from Pirates of the Caribbean, it goes back further than that.

The Kraken (in Greek Mythology) is a giant sea monster of tremendous size and strength. He appears as the final antagonist in the 1981 film Clash of the Titans, and its 2010 remake of the same name.

https://villains.fandom.com/wiki/Kra...%202010%20film.

We anticipate a ton of sea monster hockey jerseys and references with a big ship's horn for goals. IMO none of the names mentioned here come close to the marketing (and cinematic) possibilities we have with Kraken.

Here's an old clip of Maggie Smith (as a statue) referencing the Kraken but I can't find the Kraken attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnHZlesHdEo

Old 07-29-2020, 03:36 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
For those unimpressed by Seattle's new hockey team name, many of us are beyond thrilled with it. For those that only know the Kraken from Pirates of the Caribbean, it goes back further than that.

The Kraken (in Greek Mythology) is a giant sea monster of tremendous size and strength. He appears as the final antagonist in the 1981 film Clash of the Titans, and its 2010 remake of the same name.

We anticipate a ton of sea monster hockey jerseys and references with a big ship's horn for goals...
The Greeks had fog horns?

Probably be more authentic if they had a guy play the pan flute or lyre.

Old 07-30-2020, 11:36 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,068,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post

https://villains.fandom.com/wiki/Kra...%202010%20film.

We anticipate a ton of sea monster hockey jerseys and references with a big ship's horn for goals. IMO none of the names mentioned here come close to the marketing (and cinematic) possibilities we have with Kraken.

Here's an old clip of Maggie Smith (as a statue) referencing the Kraken but I can't find the Kraken attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnHZlesHdEo
Oh I fully know what a Kraken is and that it’s an old mythological creature...but there is no way Seattle pulls that name out of the ether if it hadn’t been popularized/reintroduced by Pirates 2 fairly recently. Same thing with Kraken Rum (2010).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey