Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2023, 02:30 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsitsipas View Post
For the facing piece do you usually use the same fabric as the rest of the garment?

I saw a facing tutorial for a round neckline and she notched the seam allowance. If you are doing facing for a square neckline do you still notch or is that only needed for curved / rounded shapes?

Does a serger come into play much for necklines or is it preferable to do them with a sewing machine?

Thank you!
You notch curves and corners, not straight areas.

Last edited by steiconi; 07-15-2023 at 03:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2023, 05:57 PM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Blog: "Use Your Home Sewing Machine As A Serger"

https://madamsew.com/blogs/sewing-bl...ing-your-edges

And "Serging without a serger"

https://missylookss.com/serging-without-serger/

Old 07-15-2023, 07:30 PM

506 posts, read 342,326 times
I am so grateful for all of the help, thank you!

Old 07-16-2023, 12:57 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
My wife makes most of her own clothes, but also does machine quilting. She has a Bernina B780 with embroidery module, Janome Coverpro 2000CPX, and a Bernina 1300 MDC. I don't know what those last two do, but they hold several spools of thread. Then in our travel trailer she has a smaller Bernina for sewing while on vacations. She used to teach classes at a local sewing machine store. Her friends that also sew seriously all have 2-3 different machines.
The last two machines, Janome Coverpro 2000CPX, and a Bernina 1300 MDC, are sergers.

Quote:
Yep, I will have to go with a sewing machine for now and put in the work. I wonder how long it'll take before I actually make something I can wear in public. I would really love to take private in-person lessons. I know that's how I'd learn best.

Ah yes those hams and clappers. Ugh there's really a lot that goes into making clothes if you want to do it well. I really hope I can do it. I'm so sick of not having any clothes I like. Does a zigzag cut really hold up well after a few washes?

Absolutely, I need to practice, practice, practice and really master the garment in cheap fabric before I attempt with the real fabric I want to use for the finished product. I have 3 simple garments in mind that I want to make, and I'm sure for at least one of them a knit will be the best choice of fabric so I guess that means a serger would be very useful for that one... I do know sometimes there are public "maker spaces" that have a serger people can use. Maybe I'll have to go that route.

That is just so amazing and impressive to me, that she makes most of her own clothes. I want to get to that point. It's daunting how much time and work it's going to take. I think you're right that a lot of the serious sewers have multiple machines.

I really appreciate everyone's input, thank you.

I had lessons in sewing class in my high school. They offered art class, print shop, wood shop, home economics where they taught cooking plus sewing class. My high school also did 8th grade in the high school where we had a taste of every "shop class". I think it was the best way to get your feet wet to go to high school.

I then started making leather vests, pants, chaps and Harley purses that were leather and fringe, big enough to hold a small wallet, pack of cigarettes and shades.

I then started making baby clothes when I was pregnant with my daughter. I also made fabric dolls plus clothes for American girl doll. I thought that sewing the baby and American girl clothes taught me the best. Yes, I have a serger for seams.

Dressy T-shirts and tank tops are easy to make. I used to buy my fabric at the rag shop which I really miss. Walmart put them out of bus

Old 07-16-2023, 08:03 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
For the facing piece do you usually use the same fabric as the rest of the garment?

I saw a facing tutorial for a round neckline and she notched the seam allowance. If you are doing facing for a square neckline do you still notch or is that only needed for curved / rounded shapes?

Does a serger come into play much for necklines or is it preferable to do them with a sewing machine?

Thank you!
Generally you notch where the fabric doesn’t turn easily. So add a square neckline it won’t be the side or the top, but the corners you will notch.

And generally speaking you do use the same fabric for facing, because that can be seen sometimes. As you move and the shirt moves away from your neck a little bit you can see that when you sit down and it wrinkles up you can see it. But there is no hard and fast rule. If that’s where you want to put a little style and use a contrasting fabric there’s no rules — go for it ! You have to keep in mind if you’re using a heavy knit, you can’t use a light woven.

Old 07-16-2023, 12:34 PM

18,047 posts, read 15,639,191 times
I have both a sewing machine and a serger. You 100% need a sewing machine. A serger is nice to have, but not as an only machine.

Old 01-28-2024, 08:54 AM

10 posts, read 3,720 times
Sure thing! If you're on a budget and want quick, clean seams, a serger is a great option for making clothes. It trims and finishes edges in one go. Check online deals for affordable options. Just keep in mind, it won't replace a sewing machine entirely, but it's a handy addition to your DIY arsenal!

Old 01-28-2024, 11:05 AM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
You notch curves only - it keeps the fabric from folding up and making bulges. You clip across the points at corners for the same reason. When you turn an outward corner or curve IN, you have to take away some of the fabric that will keep it from laying smooth inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation