Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2023, 08:06 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times

Advertisements

Other sources of inexpensive but sometimes quality fabric:

Clothes from a thrift store--either alter to fit, or cut an all new garment. Full skirts are my go-to.

Estate sales. I've bought at least a hundred yards of fabric at estate sales, mostly while traveling; gorgeous vintage fabrics, huge stashes of cotton quilting quarters, silk, imported wool...all for pennies on the dollar.

As with any craft, we're at risk of SABLE; Stash Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy. When I buy fabric now, I tell my husband that it's to make sure I have a fabulous estate sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2023, 08:24 AM

506 posts, read 342,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Recommendation: AVOID any computerized sewing machine.
I will absolutely take this advice ^ and thank you for all of the info (edited out of quote just for space purposes.) I have no interest in a computerized sewing machine. When I tried sewing several years ago the machine I bought was a non-computerized Brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Other sources of inexpensive but sometimes quality fabric:

Clothes from a thrift store--either alter to fit, or cut an all new garment. Full skirts are my go-to.

Estate sales. I've bought at least a hundred yards of fabric at estate sales, mostly while traveling; gorgeous vintage fabrics, huge stashes of cotton quilting quarters, silk, imported wool...all for pennies on the dollar.

As with any craft, we're at risk of SABLE; Stash Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy. When I buy fabric now, I tell my husband that it's to make sure I have a fabulous estate sale.
Great ideas and that last part in bold cracked me up!

Old 07-14-2023, 09:03 AM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
If you are traveling full-time and might be staying in an RV park, I would put up a note on their bulletin board asking if anyone could assist you with sewing skills. Among the retired individuals, there are a ton of experienced people in all sorts of endeavors. Just a thought for anyone that might stay in RV parks as we have in the past.

Old 07-14-2023, 01:52 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
If you are traveling full-time and might be staying in an RV park, I would put up a note on their bulletin board asking if anyone could assist you with sewing skills. Among the retired individuals, there are a ton of experienced people in all sorts of endeavors. Just a thought for anyone that might stay in RV parks as we have in the past.
Very true- years ago I rehomed a bunch of sewing material and fabric to a retired woman who teaches home economics out of her living space. Some people enjoy designing custom garments.

It's still very much a thing. Also part of some subcultures.

Old 07-14-2023, 10:44 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
I find thrifted skirts make a nice top when attached to a tee (maybe one with a stain) - sew them together, cut off the unnecessary stuff; nice cool top.

Years ago I bought some sheets at Target to make curtains for an apartment I was only spending a year in. Now the same curtain (nee sheet) is a cobbler's apron. I wear it all the time and it goes through the washer and dryer a LOT and still looks great.

I was just noticing two rolls of fabric in our local Goodwill today and thinking I'd better sew my rolls up before they end up there.

Old 07-15-2023, 11:07 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsitsipas View Post
Yeah if it's not perfect I won't wear it, and unfortunately it'll take a long time and a lot of practice for my skill level to get to that point. In the meantime I never have anything I want to wear. That's my motivation to learn - I know what clothing I wish I had, but I can never find what I want and even when I find something there are all kinds of fit and construction issues and flaws. So I figure the solution is to make my own clothes.
Oh, I hear you on that. Several years back I was looking for a dress to wear to my nieces wedding. I am a woman of size, and I went to Lane Bryant. They had these really cute fit and flare dresses that are made to be pulled over your head. The stretch on the fabric was amazing so I knew it would work. When I tried it on all I could hear were stitches ripping… same as when I took it off. I turned it inside out went to a seam, and gave it a little tug. I looked at the waist and gave it a little tug. I took the dress out to the clerk and showed her, and then explained they took a knit dress that was made specifically to stretch and sewed it with nonstretch stitches so all of the seams were breaking. The clerk looked at me and said oh that’s why we’re getting all of those back!

I found a dress at Penny’s.

And regarding perfection, don’t be too hard on yourself. I mean there’s things that are clearly messed up, been there done that.

But, even if you look at really high end garments, you can find flaws. Somebody made those things, and everybody screws up. I was looking at cashmere sweaters somewhere and sometimes the fabric is knit and then cut out and sewn together, and you can tell the grain of the fabric because you got clear little knit stitches interlocking. The sweater was on the expensive end, and the knit was sideways Not up and down — which is wrong. Not a design choice, it was a mistake. Everybody’s human.

Old 07-15-2023, 11:19 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I find thrifted skirts make a nice top when attached to a tee (maybe one with a stain) - sew them together, cut off the unnecessary stuff; nice cool top.

Years ago I bought some sheets at Target to make curtains for an apartment I was only spending a year in. Now the same curtain (nee sheet) is a cobbler's apron. I wear it all the time and it goes through the washer and dryer a LOT and still looks great.

I was just noticing two rolls of fabric in our local Goodwill today and thinking I'd better sew my rolls up before they end up there.
Yes, I bought tablecloths in Target to make my curtains 15 years ago. Not to save money, I just couldn't find the color I wanted anywhere else. Love them.

Old 07-15-2023, 12:00 PM

Are these necklines done the same way just different widths? Is it called a banded neckline?
Attached Thumbnails
Making clothing - serger instead of sewing machine?-necklines.jpg  

Old 07-15-2023, 12:08 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsitsipas View Post
Are these necklines done the same way just different widths? Is it called a banded neckline?

Yes, the top one is serged on the edge and the bottom one is turned under, both are turned to the inside and stitched down. They're not banded necklines, they're facings: on the inside, not a design feature to be seen.

Old 07-15-2023, 12:24 PM

For the facing piece do you usually use the same fabric as the rest of the garment?

I saw a facing tutorial for a round neckline and she notched the seam allowance. If you are doing facing for a square neckline do you still notch or is that only needed for curved / rounded shapes?

Does a serger come into play much for necklines or is it preferable to do them with a sewing machine?

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation