Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 12:19 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,665,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Okay, But Not In Same League As The Above:
1) Newt Gingrich and William R. Forstchen's current series on the Revolutionary War. Their best work was their first, the alternative history series on the Civil War. They have abandoned alternative history in favor of historical novels. Everything is pretty good...pretty good writing, pretty good history, pretty entertaining....but never great.

[
I enjoyed Days of Infamy by them, it is of course about Pearl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 12:52 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,171,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
I enjoyed Days of Infamy by them, it is of course about Pearl
What happened to that series? When you finished book # 2, was it clear to you that this was the end? Gingrich apparently abandoned the series in order to mount his run at the presidency, switching from alternative history to the super patriotic revolutionary war series which he and his co author just concluded.

At the same time Gingrich was doing the Pearl books, Harry Turtledove was publishing a very similar series on the Pacific War, poor sales may have caused Newt to abandon his attempt.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:00 PM

88,682 posts, read 85,015,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
How can she be historical fiction if the battles actually took place? Nevertheless she sounds interesting, I've got another reading idea now, thank you!
LOL, not a bad question, but the characters witnessing or partaking in the battles are not necessarily actual historical persons, or they may be but since we really don't know what they said or did, their actions and/or dialogue is fictionalized.

Historical fiction usually DOES center around actual events, but the characters and what happens to them may be fictional. Think of Gone With The Wind. The burning of Atlanta did happen, but there was no real Scarlett O'Hara who fled the city in a wagon with a guy named Rhett Butler and who was changed forever by the war. General Sherman, whose army is the "wind" in the sentence that provided the book title, did exist, but when Scarlett wonders if Tara was gone with the wind that had swept through Georgia, it refers to a fictional plantation.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:20 PM

192 posts, read 324,777 times
I rather enjoyed The Winds of War and its sequel War and Remembrance by Herman Wouk. They are are about a family among the background of the build up leading to and during World War II.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:35 AM

10,215 posts, read 17,911,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
How can she be historical fiction if the battles actually took place? Nevertheless she sounds interesting, I've got another reading idea now, thank you!
Historical fiction is not only about fictional people or events. It's any story, real or imagined, set in a historical time period. It can be about fiction characters or historical figures and it can be about actual events or not. Typically, it will include SOME actual, historical events because if ALL the events are fictional, it could turn into fantasy/alternate history.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:05 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,286,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Historical fiction is not only about fictional people or events. It's any story, real or imagined, set in a historical time period. It can be about fiction characters or historical figures and it can be about actual events or not. Typically, it will include SOME actual, historical events because if ALL the events are fictional, it could turn into fantasy/alternate history.
Yeah, I don't think I'd put Cowboys and Aliens in the category of historical fiction as you've defined it.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:42 AM

10,215 posts, read 17,911,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Yeah, I don't think I'd put Cowboys and Aliens in the category of historical fiction as you've defined it.
LOL I was so appalled when I first saw the trailer for that - meanwhile my husband was saying "I think it looks quite good!" Don't get me started on Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Slayer.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:53 AM

43,743 posts, read 44,512,487 times
I think books by Leon Uris ("Exodus", "Mila 18" and many others) as well as books by James Michener are excellent historical novels although they were written many years ago.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:04 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,171,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
books by James Michener are excellent historical novels although they were written many years ago.
No, they are not excellent history. I have read two and they were both riddled with historical errors. I don't mean things changed for purposes of the novel, I mean factual goofs for which there isn't any excuse. Michener was a crappy historian, and a lousy writer as well.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:33 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,665,135 times
I read a series of books a few decades back about the Wagon Trains, If I remember correctly the first one was called Independence, and then the were named after the what are now states the wagons crossed through. They were decent, but I prefered the fiction of Louis La'more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History