Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2024, 06:50 PM

24,771 posts, read 11,102,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
This is confusing, notably the bolded bits. Part of it (IMHO) is due to your attempts to be witty. I certainly don't mind wit, but sometimes it just makes things harder than they need to be. Maybe it would help to cut the clever and lay out who's whom and why anything needs to change about this elderly lady's current healthcare coverage. Who is "Mumsy" and what is your relationship with her? Is she a US citizen? Who is DD and what is your relationship to her? Is she a US citizen? Why should you have more of a say than DD? I appreciate that you may not agree with DD's views, but if DD is this woman's immediate relative why are you getting involved in making care decisions for her? A family rupture can leave you without any opportunity to offer assistance at all. As it is, you don't seem to have many of the facts so you may be causing more problems than you are solving.

There certainly are knowledgeable folks here but what about looking up the Medicare SHIP office closest to where you folks live? You can actually talk to a real live person and they are knowledgeable about many aspects of Medicare. They should be able to help figure out what Part B would cost. They are not family members, so more impartial. Harder to steamroll someone who's impartial. Here's how to find the closest SHIP. Scroll down to the search/locator button:

https://www.shiphelp.org/
I am not trying to be witty I am dealing with a terrified 86 year old who will be at my door step on Tuesday and the information she is giving me.
DD dear daughter and SIL are now US citizens.

No, I have no facts because he does not give them to her. Not even account statements. Apparently things are set up as Trustee of and now he wants full poa of her last European accounts.

No, she is not a US citizen. Green Card five years ago. Yes, it is ludicrous but she bought into it when BIL said he got one for her.

DD is in a very dependant relationship with her spouse. Violent out breaks including physical ones, ... .

I am dealing with a terrified elderly person and am trying to find out what it would run us to have her covered. Let's not get into space or anything like that. Please! We just got a 94 year old happily settled in NJ earlier this week. SO went through quadruple bypass and mayor back surgery in the last three years. Doing well!

I am trying to collect bread crumbs so the cake will not kill us. At the end SO and I will have to clean up the mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2024, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I'm confused as well - someone with no history in the US (Mumsy??? 1900's England term?) - why would Medicare be involved?
We call my mother Mumsy. She was never mother or mummy or anything along that line. More like a perfectly built fashion model/business women with two kids in tow,

Old 05-10-2024, 07:03 PM

Again - thank you!!!!
This is the most information I have gotten out of her in 12 years. SO is out of town. She will be here Tuesday. One step at a time but I am collecting bread crumbs,

Different inheritance laws - we signed ours over to her when my father passed. After she reached out to us the interest is in her well being and it is a bit difficult. SIL seems to want her out, she was a good tenant in his rental for five years now she takes up time and his political advancement within city management is priority..

Old 05-11-2024, 05:50 AM

15,446 posts, read 25,881,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
What is your question? How much will it cost to sign up for Medicare for the first time at 86 years old?

The penalty is 10% extra for every year late. She would be 21 years late, or 210%.

Today's standard premium is $175 per month.

With penalty, her premium would be $540 per month.

Calculation of Penalty

The late-enrollment penalty is equal to a 10% premium surcharge for each full 12 months of delay in enrollment and/or reenrollment during which the beneficiary was eligible for Medicare.

There is no upper limit on the amount of the surcharge that may apply, and the penalty continues to apply for the entire time the individual is enrolled in Part B. Each year, the surcharge is calculated using the standard premium amount for that particular year. Therefore, if premiums increase in a given year, the dollar value of the surcharge will increase as well.

https://sgp.fas.org/crs/misc/R40082.pdf
Later they say she has only been in the US for 5 years. If that’s correct, the penalty will be much smalller.

Old 05-11-2024, 07:16 AM

3,162 posts, read 1,620,396 times
Check this calculator on the Medcare.gov:

An eligibility, enrollment date, and premium calculator may be found on the Medicare.gov website at
https://www.medicare.gov/eligibilitypremiumcalc/.

Old 05-11-2024, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Later they say she has only been in the US for 5 years. If that’s correct, the penalty will be much smalller.
Correct, the five year anniversary of her Green Card is coming up. I do not know if she will renew or go the Naturalization route. How do the five years impact the penalty?

Old 05-11-2024, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
Check this calculator on the Medcare.gov:

An eligibility, enrollment date, and premium calculator may be found on the Medicare.gov website at
https://www.medicare.gov/eligibilitypremiumcalc/.
Thank you Maddie104!
This will be a difficult journey but it has started.

Old 05-11-2024, 01:05 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,570,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
This will be a difficult journey but it has started.
Keep in mind, she will also have to purchase Part A at a cost of $506/mo. So, her costs will be:

$506 - Part A
$165 - Part B - plus any penalty.

Best to figure at least $750/mo. for basic Original Medicare.

Then, if she joins Advantage, some small premium plus copays and coinsurance - which can add up quickly with rehab costs. Most MA's cap these costs at $5k or thereabouts annually.

If she qualifies for a Medigap supplement, most copays/coinsurance/deductibles are covered but premiums are high - $250++ for someone her age. However, supplements can be more cost-efficient if extensive rehab is involved plus provide far more flexibility on provider and care.

Differences between Advantage and Medigap supplement explained, here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/43835454-post8.html

What state will she be living in? GI states make it easier to qualify for a Medigap for those with health issues and when outside the normal enrollment period:

https://boomerbenefits.com/medicare-...ranteed-issue/

Old 05-11-2024, 08:29 PM

20,105 posts, read 13,567,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
You can avoid the 20% copay with a Medicare Medigap Plan G insurance plan, but then you have to pay a monthly premium for Medigap. I have no clue what that would cost her or if she is able to buy it as a late filer.
It would depend on the state. Here in New York State, medigap insurers are required to allow you to buy whenever you please without penalties, with some very minor restrictions. In other states the insurers can charge more or outright deny you if you don't sign up in the first year at age 65. The tradeoff is that Medigap premiums tend to be a bit higher here.

Old 05-13-2024, 05:08 AM

15,446 posts, read 25,881,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Correct, the five year anniversary of her Green Card is coming up. I do not know if she will renew or go the Naturalization route. How do the five years impact the penalty?
The penalty is when she did not have part B when she was first eligible for it to now. I don’t know when she became eligible, but it wasn’t (If I understand correctly) her 65th birthday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance