Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 05:55 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,257,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Well, what they do in the company of each other doesn't exactly mean I see them playing a Ukulele - perhaps the group I'm in hasn't gotten with the Ukulele program yet
I guess folks don't get invited into HA's "ukulele program" until they've been with the company for at least a decade. One of HA's VPs (who has been with the company for nearly 30 years) is of Portuguese ancestry and he often has kanikapila at his place in Kapolei.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 06:14 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
I guess folks don't get invited into HA's "ukulele program" until they've been with the company for at least a decade. One of HA's VPs (who has been with the company for nearly 30 years) is of Portuguese ancestry and he often has kanikapila at his place in Kapolei.
"L" is a nice guy (the only one with 30 years I can think of at the top of my head that level) - however, I'm sure as heck not driving all the way to Kapolei invited or not!

Old 05-19-2015, 07:02 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,257,363 times
Quote:
"L" is a nice guy (the only one with 30 years I can think of at the top of my head that level) - however, I'm sure as heck not driving all the way to Kapolei invited or not!
Kapolei's not that far from Kailua. For some of the shindigs at "L's" place, folks have been known to fly in from the Neighbor Islands.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:01 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Thank you to the Pochos for vinha d'alhos! And taking the heat for a huge portion of the ethnic jokes!

I'm also pretty fond of the slack key guitar!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-19-2015, 10:41 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,595,242 times
Mercy sakes. Ukes are all over at the beach and with anybody waiting in a car for somebody in a parking lot. The owner of the local feed store and the local tire shop in my town are both Portagee, along with many farmers. If you look in the B.I. phone book there are about 3 1/2 pages of Carvalho's, more than any other name.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
Mercy sakes. Ukes are all over at the beach and with anybody waiting in a car for somebody in a parking lot. The owner of the local feed store and the local tire shop in my town are both Portagee, along with many farmers. If you look in the B.I. phone book there are about 3 1/2 pages of Carvalho's, more than any other name.
As I mentioned, it might be different on outer islands other than Oahu. I go to the beach every weekend unless it's raining and have never seen someone on the beach with one.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:34 PM

27 posts, read 31,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Being Portuguese, our first time in Oahu we were pleasantly surprised to see malasadas, linguica on many restaurant menus, and the huge variety of linguica brands in the stores. Even more surprising was to find bacalhao. We don't have that anywhere around here, I have to order it from Toronto.
You can find the bacalhao at asian markets. I find it here in California.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:43 PM

941 posts, read 1,966,272 times
Quote:
As I mentioned, it might be different on outer islands other than Oahu. I go to the beach every weekend unless it's raining and have never seen someone on the beach with one.
Sounds like Oahu needs a FEEL THE ALOHA campaign for jaded transplants and frazzled locals who aren't feeling it anymore in the hustle and bustle of the city. They could have ukulele performers at beaches on weekends and downtown lunch spots all week. They could hire people to drive the roads and let people merge in front of them. They could raise opihi and fish to restock the shorelines. They could release a few more roosters and chickens all over the city. They could raise another half-cent GET and it'd still be cheaper than subsidizing a ferry.

They could hire some long-time gone Hawaiian locals from the mainland who still have a heart and give them jobs on Oahu spreading Aloha.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
They could have ukulele performers at beaches on weekends and downtown lunch spots all week. They could release a few more roosters and chickens all over the city.
People who live on Oahu like the way it is - for those who don't - they are free to move.

However, as someone who spends a lot of time on the beaches on Maui and Kauai (not so much the BI since - well - there aren't that many beaches) I don't exactly see people running amok with ukuleles there either - and for you folks on Kauai - you can keep your roosters to yourselves please (and the fighting caged roosters on Lanai I've unfortunately seen).

Old 05-21-2015, 11:24 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
There used to be folks that would get together and play ukulele at a corner of Ala Moana shopping center, but that was decades ago and several shopping center expansions have happened since then and probably renovated their area beyond use. Upper level by one of the side entrances, on the back side and was it by Sears or Liberty House? Well, they may not be there anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii