Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 04:04 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,625,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
You're probably right. It's funny, I consider myself to be of hispanic descent, but where I grew up in Cali, I wasn't brown enough for the Mexican kids!
yeah, it definitely happens all over. My wife is part Hawaiian but she looks asian so she was often not "Hawaiian" enough to have an opinion on certain things (without establishing her credentials). Itallians and Irish used to not be considered "regular white people" in Boston back when there were waves of immigrants coming over. Hell, Tiger Woods is half Asian and only a quarter Black but everyone considers him Black (probably has something to do with the old "one drop" rule). What are you gonna do? LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 04:04 PM

255 posts, read 883,246 times
Anyone can do whatever they put their minds to. Its not your fault that they didnt decide to move there. Sometimes there are deaths/sickness and other issues which prevent people from relocating, but ultimately its a persons personal choice to live where they choose.
I moved to California on a very strict budget, am in between jobs and on poverty level, yet several people are jealous of my move. I also desire to try out Hawaii one day, and Ive had people snicker and remark and tell me How do I think Ill make it.
But when theres a will theres a way.
One friend told me not to tell her about the good weather I was experiencing.
Even though she knew I suffer financial hardship, just hearing about the weather made her jealous.
Keep your goals and be proud of yourself.
Cant please them all.
Most people can try to change their lives, but never attempt it and they are the only ones to blame.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:26 PM

820 posts, read 3,039,369 times
I think sometimes people are really just trying to make us feel good and be supportive about our choices. So they say something about the weather, or express themselves as if they are envious. But maybe they're not really envious, just saying nice things.

For example, we have friends who will moan about a summer storm, and tell us how lucky we are to live in paradise. We know that's just casual talk - they love where they live, and are happy for us too. In some more "real" conversations, we also talk about how difficult life can be, and also how blessed we each feel. It's the same as when I moan to them about high prices here and how I miss cheap and plentiful shopping there. It's just talk.

If there are people who's conversation constantly makes you feel bad or uncomfortable, then I suggest that the relationship isn't all that healthy or strong. Either you've got stuff built up and are interpreting their "just talk" with more than they mean, or else they don't really support you and aren't really your pals.

Either address the situation, or stop trying to make it mean more than it is. Find friends who support you, and keep that relationship clean and healthy.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:14 PM

75 posts, read 226,544 times
What I really envy are those people who can be totally happy in any place. They don't let the place determine their outlook; rather they create their own happiness no matter where they are. Not that I am one of these people, mind you. I had to move here because I simply love the tropics. It's like I was born to be here. I can't seem to help that about myself.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:53 AM

820 posts, read 3,039,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaupani View Post
What I really envy are those people who can be totally happy in any place. They don't let the place determine their outlook; rather they create their own happiness no matter where they are.
Amen, ditto, and all that!

Old 07-09-2011, 05:44 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,272,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2HawaiiOahu View Post
So true ...

My husband works as a roustabout on oil rigs it's the low end job but it pays about $4500 AUD per week. They treat him like dirt and now they found out we live in Hawaii they are so jealous of him. Some of those people don't even acknowledge his existence.

We are just worried that they will try to get him run off the rig because jealousy is really terrible in that industry.

Haole on oil rigs are real racists btw my hubby is a Hapa.
If everyone on the oil rig is making the same amount...I'm sure they all got their own things going on.

I met a handful of white American oil rig guys who live in the Philippines during their down-town, and for them, there is nowhere else in the world they'd rather be. I'd think each person probably has their own 'nowhere I'd rather be', than all trying to befriend or sabatoge your husband based on his place.

Old 03-16-2024, 07:30 AM

2 posts, read 457 times
There’s no need to cater to people with the evil spirit of jealousy in them. Either they’re happy for you or they aren’t. Telling them about the weather isn’t rubbing it in their faces because everyone already knows what Hawaii weather is like. If they wanted it so bad then maybe they should stop being afraid and make the move too. We’re allowed to be happy about and talk about where we live. I planned for my children and I to move here for two years, and my family knew my plans, but when I moved here last week, everyone kept saying “oh that was fast, you didn’t tell us” but I did tell them, it was all I talked about. Then they started citing my health (asthma), then they started acting like I was leaving small children behind (my two ADULT daughters) What it is, is that they thought I was just all talk and no action and now they’re all jealous and salty.

Last edited by FromPA2HI; 03-16-2024 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 03-16-2024, 07:40 AM

2 posts, read 457 times
Same. I know I was meant to live in the tropics.

Old 03-25-2024, 09:44 AM

3,766 posts, read 5,881,841 times
I am not envious. I live in TX and am happy for the most part. Yes, I visited HI(did the cruise around the islands) and it is beautiful and the weather was nice but being that isolated from the mainland would drive me batty. I am happy for you that are content but remember , not all of us desire to LIVE there . :-)

Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM

6,390 posts, read 4,859,868 times
Old thread (2011), but I will offer my experience.

My friends and family feel like I deserve the happiness that retiring to Maui brought me. Some were envious, but not jealous. My 3 grandsons have come to live with me making it crowded in my small oceanfront condo, but I love having them here, and feel more content than at any other time in my life.

Occasionally, friends and family come visit me here (like two weeks ago), but more often I go to my former home in California to see them. Some of us also meet in Las Vegas annually. Next month I will visit Las Vegas for 4 nights, then California for 5 nights. After that, 4 of us will fly to Florida for a two-week cruise.
Life is good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: