Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 10:03 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,596,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
. by the way... you certainly do find out how popular you are w/folks who you didn't even think knew you were alive.
I so agree with this statement we had friends come out of the woodwork that we didn't know we had. We had people offer to help us move and not just a friendly offer they were buying the tickets and wanted to know the exact date We had to decline the offer because we didnt know where we were living at first lol. We ended up with 11 separate visitors the first year.

Koa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 09:35 PM

17 posts, read 46,270 times
I can honestly answer this one too.

We are from Newport Beach as well as Honolulu Hawaii. My family are jealous and envious of us because we live in both these cities. So i know where you are coming from. WE also have a lot of Wannabee Friends using us to come here to Hawaii and stay with us for free during their holidays.

My husband works on oil rigs with people from Australia, now that they found out we live here they pretend to talk to him whereas before they would snot on him. How do i turn them down without hurting their feelings?

Old 06-24-2011, 09:52 PM

263 posts, read 1,006,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2HawaiiOahu View Post
How do i turn them down without hurting their feelings?
If they don't care about your feelings you're not obligated to worry about hurting theirs.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBob View Post
If they don't care about your feelings you're not obligated to worry about hurting theirs.

So true ...

My husband works as a roustabout on oil rigs it's the low end job but it pays about $4500 AUD per week. They treat him like dirt and now they found out we live in Hawaii they are so jealous of him. Some of those people don't even acknowledge his existence.

We are just worried that they will try to get him run off the rig because jealousy is really terrible in that industry.

Haole on oil rigs are real racists btw my hubby is a Hapa.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:39 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,237,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2HawaiiOahu View Post
So true ...

My husband works as a roustabout on oil rigs it's the low end job but it pays about $4500 AUD per week. They treat him like dirt and now they found out we live in Hawaii they are so jealous of him. Some of those people don't even acknowledge his existence.

We are just worried that they will try to get him run off the rig because jealousy is really terrible in that industry.

Haole on oil rigs are real racists btw my hubby is a Hapa.
This is your 4th or 5th comment on haoles being racist toward you (Asian)and your supposedly hapa husband. Get real. Whites are 40% of the population of Hawaii and Asians 35%...who is going to bother with discriminating against you two?
Maybe you ought to check your attitude at the border.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:15 PM

Well I didnt mean to upset any Haoles ... but it's true Maui is freaking racist. The Haoles there are really racist.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:33 AM

521 posts, read 1,153,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
This is your 4th or 5th comment on haoles being racist toward you (Asian)and your supposedly hapa husband. Get real. Whites are 40% of the population of Hawaii and Asians 35%...who is going to bother with discriminating against you two?
Maybe you ought to check your attitude at the border.
the asians are only 35% of the population in Hawaii?? are you serious? I always thought they were the majority of the folks out there.
Hmmm.. that's interesting... also.. used to be that it wasn't 40% of the population was NOT haole, it was lot smaller than that.. Haoles were definitely a minority in Hawaii...
Shoot, lots of people are racist against Haoles. I know that earlier times, the whites were not kind to the Hawaiians, but those were not all of our ancestors, and I don't think it's fair that someone be treated poorly just cuz they are white.
The whites comes from all OVER the world, so being white doesn't necessarily mean your ancestors were brutal to some other race. Discrimination is a bad scene, no matter what your race.

You're saying the Whites are Racist in Maui? Really? I used to live in Maui, and always met nice haoles. Lots of my white friends were dating or engaged or married to Asian, Hawaiians, etc. Maybe it's changed.. don't know..
we live Kula area.... nice place.. nice people... Maui's great island to live in.

Old 07-03-2011, 02:52 AM

Here's a link to the 2010 census. It shows 24.7% white and 22.7% white, not of hispanic descent, which I would read as almost 47% white. It lists Asians as being 38% of the total population.

Hawaii QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

But as Mark Twain said " Lies, damn lies and statistics".

Old 07-05-2011, 07:05 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,625,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
Here's a link to the 2010 census. It shows 24.7% white and 22.7% white, not of hispanic descent, which I would read as almost 47% white. It lists Asians as being 38% of the total population.

Hawaii QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

But as Mark Twain said " Lies, damn lies and statistics".
@Joliefile: I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that you are reading the statistics wrong. "White, not of hispanic descent" is simply a subset of "white". Meaning that the state, as a whole, is about 1/4 caucasian with about 2% of those being caucasian by race but hispanic in terms of culture.

Hawaii, and Honolulu in particular has an asian majority if any. There is no way in hell there is a caucasian majority in Hawaii. Maybe in certain neighborhoods (like the east side of Oahu or certain parts of Maui). I personally believe that the "mixed race" and "polynesian" numbers are exaggerated because the census allows people to self identify. Many multi-ethnic asians identify as mixed-race when in fact they are not mixed race, they are asians just like someone who is of german and french descent is considered caucasian regardless of their multi-ethnic background. In addition, many claim to be part Hawaiian but probably are not. Honestly speaking, if you spend any time in Honolulu, the vibe is that 6 out of 10 people are probably asian looking, 2 out of 10 caucasian looking, 1 out of 10 probably hapa looking, and 1 out of 10 look polynesian. But that is just my assessment.

This is all, of course, a moot point because the issues in Hawaii (in my experience) are far less about race and far more about ethnicity, island of origin, neighborhood or origin, social class (what high school you went), and most importantly ARE YOU LOCAL OR NOT.

The reality is that large groups that identify themselves as anything (insert race, religion, sports fan etc...) will probably discriminate on some level against folks perceived as being different. I have no doubt that haoles, in large groups on maui, discriminate against other groups (whether it be other haoles that are not from there or other racial/ethnic groups). I have no doubt that haoles get discriminated against by other groups as well, and I can attest to the fact that haoles have to "prove themselves" a bit more than most other brown folks do in Hawaii... but it is not bad in the grand scheme of things so get over it. Hawaii, as a whole, has far bigger issues than racism. That is actually an area that they do pretty well in overall when compared to the rest of the country/world.

As for the rest of this thread, GET OVER YOURSELVES. Few things gets on my nerves as much as smug transplants who are impressed with themselves for living someplace nice and then commiserate about dealing with "envy". Give me a break.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:40 PM

You're probably right. It's funny, I consider myself to be of hispanic descent, but where I grew up in Cali, I wasn't brown enough for the Mexican kids!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: