Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 10:30 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,282,515 times

Advertisements

Do you really have to pay more to get a decent hair cut? I have recently spent an arm and a leg at higher priced salons and my hair has never looked worse. I was happier when I went to Regis at the mall. The current hair cut I have is one of the worst ever, from a "better" Aveda salon here in Salt Lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 10:33 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,345,719 times
Yes and no. I think it depends on the particular stylist.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:39 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,324,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
I agree. I used to go to Supercuts etc. and was never really happy. I figured I would try a salon by my work -on a whim-just to see if it was better. I have now been going to the same woman-who also owns the salon-for about 5 years. I pay more but I do notice a difference. I see the same person everytime, she knows my hair, etc. I also can get my brows waxed when I get a haircut.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:12 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
I follow my stylist.....I wasted big bucks in big buck salons for years before I found Ly on a fluke at Fantastic Sams.....I'd rather pay $14.00 for a cut I love than big bucks on one I just want to go home a cry about.

It's the styist not the salon.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:48 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,431,487 times
I agree with previous posters on this one. It is what it is: the stylist makes it or "breakes it".
The most exclusive and expensive salon can't "make" one a better stylist/ hair artist, since experiences, knowledge and techniques have to be learned over many years.
I have had similar experiences previously.....going to a prestigious salon to have my hair color/ foil and haircut mangeled, just to end up finding an awesome stylist in a "tucked away" little "hole in the wall" place to work her "magic", leaving me absolutely happy and thrilled.
That's what makes it so difficult......a salon stays, a stylist leaves.....and you never know, just WHO you are going to get.
I ended up "trailing" and following my stylist.......(feeling like a "stalker" of some sort....LOL)
So.....what I am trying to say is, I don't care, which salon and where my stylist would do her work......even if my stylist would do her work on a street corner......I would still go, and have my hair done by her......LOL.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:07 PM

631 posts, read 1,885,527 times
A big tip to getting a great hair cut. Never let someone cut your hair if their hair looks terrible. I never trust a stylist with bad hair regardless of what salon they work for.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:24 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,900,448 times
Okay, I understand that its the stylist and not the salon BUT>>>>

why would a highly skilled stylist work at greatclips or supercuts?

They don't. Highly skilled artists may not only work at high end salons, they may occasionally work at mid range salons as well, but if they are talented they would not be settiling for 14.95 a cut.

I have gone to one of those chain places a couple times in my life when i was extremely desperate, and lets just say, never again. I will pay $40 for a decent cut any day.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:28 PM

123 posts, read 487,876 times
I think it depends also if you want something easy or more involved. The tip about the stylist some though have really funky and wild hair so it would be hard to always go by that.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:39 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,431,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
Okay, I understand that its the stylist and not the salon BUT>>>>

why would a highly skilled stylist work at greatclips or supercuts?

Because sometimes it's really, really hard for even the best and most skilled stylist to find an available job opening in an upscale salon.
Basing my info firsthand on people in the industry, which have had a very hard time, finding the "perfect place" to work at.
My stylist is super....having owned her own upper scale salon in the Florida Keys. She sold her business and moved here to a small town where nothing is really happening (her choice, by the way).
However, she started working at a higher end salon in Vero Beach, after waiting for months and months for a job opening.
She ended up not liking it....the atmosphere, the attitude.....etc.
After that, she went to little salon with an older clientele, and lasted there for several months. But didn't see eye to eye with the owner, and how she was treating clients and her staff. (Rude ! )
Now she works at a mid price range little salon (new opening), and so far, she is very happy about her choice.
So.....even if one is super talented, and very skilled.....it does not guarantee a placement or for a job opening at the right salon.
Sometimes you gotta do, what you gotta do.....Right?

Old 09-12-2008, 01:26 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
My thoughts exactly... if my stylist moved to Supercuts, I'd follow him in a heartbeat! But the problem is that most "cheap" places have a lower percentage of excellent stylists, since they pay much less than a high-end salon. As with anything else, you get what you pay for - or what they are paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care