Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 05:12 PM

20 posts, read 171,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post
Do you really have to pay more to get a decent hair cut? I have recently spent an arm and a leg at higher priced salons and my hair has never looked worse. I was happier when I went to Regis at the mall. The current hair cut I have is one of the worst ever, from a "better" Aveda salon here in Salt Lake.

I think you just said what youre problem was straight from the beginning . If you were happy with what you were getting from youre stylist at regis why go somewhere else? Sometimes the grass isnt greener on the other side

And it's been my experience that it doesnt matter where you go .. regis , trade secret or supercuts if youre stylist isnt good she just isnt good it doesnt matter where you go .

My advise to you is go back to the stylists that you like the look they were giving you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 17,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darri View Post
I am trying to decide whether to work at a Supercuts or a high-end salon that wants me primarily for facials (she is willing to train me).....it will be a while before the high end salon will let me do hair. I will probably do well monetarily, but what I really want to do is to cut hair and that is why I think I want to go to Supercuts.

please reconsider!!! NOt all training programs are the same at every "high end" salon. If you are making this a career that you will love doing, don't sell yourself short by working at supercuts. At our salon, you are able to apply color while you are going through the owner's cutting training. SO you are able to make good money while in training. In my opinion, if you just want a job, go to supercuts-and continue to mess with people's hair and learn nothing. There is so much more open to you if you go to a higher end salon. Working at hair shows, traveling, tons of fun, but yes you need to learn alot more than you came out of beauty school with.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:05 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,550,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darri View Post
I am trying to decide whether to work at a Supercuts or a high-end salon that wants me primarily for facials (she is willing to train me).....it will be a while before the high end salon will let me do hair. I will probably do well monetarily, but what I really want to do is to cut hair and that is why I think I want to go to Supercuts.
If you really want to do cutting and want to do it well. Go to Supercuts. That is what they are. Are quick cutting salon. Who goes to Supercuts for anything but a cut? Nobody. The more you cut, the better you become. You will learn a lot, you will learn how to be quick, make money at the same time and build a clientele,,,probably a nice sized one...then go to a high end salon. They won't have you do facials then...I promise!

Old 10-23-2009, 10:07 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,550,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairxpert View Post
please reconsider!!! NOt all training programs are the same at every "high end" salon. If you are making this a career that you will love doing, don't sell yourself short by working at supercuts. At our salon, you are able to apply color while you are going through the owner's cutting training. SO you are able to make good money while in training. In my opinion, if you just want a job, go to supercuts-and continue to mess with people's hair and learn nothing. There is so much more open to you if you go to a higher end salon. Working at hair shows, traveling, tons of fun, but yes you need to learn alot more than you came out of beauty school with.
By the way, Supercuts is not a 'training' salon. It is a very popular franchised place. Some of those people work there for years and years...The only way to learn how to cut, cut well and time manage is if you do it. Supercuts is the perfect place.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:30 AM

196 posts, read 564,056 times
If you have thick georgeous hair it will look amazing if SuperCuts stylist or high-end stylist will do the cut. If you have fine thin hair there is only so much a stylist can do for you.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:02 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,883,359 times
SuperCuts was good (was going there for 4 years when I lived in Phoenix), but they seem so much in a hurry and cut way too fast too. My hair looked okay, but I noticed that sometimes they went a little shorter than what I asked for though.

But now I go to a better salon (Casa Blanco HairSalon) here in P.V. and they are great. They take their time (I just got my haircut from there about 3 days ago). I was in there for 45 minutes. It was $22 (more than I paid for in SuperCuts), but it was worth the time being in there and the personalities were so much better too.

I say, the longer the stylist takes, the better the cut will be. It's worth being in there for 45 minutes or more.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:48 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,169,865 times
I went to a very fancy, highly-recommended local salon for a totally new haircut. She did a FABULOUS job, but she's very expensive. After the re-style, I went to the Supercuts that I had used before for a plain old blunt cut on my longer hair, and they just followed her style and trimmed it. Voila, cheap, perfect cut.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:20 PM

722 posts, read 1,108,737 times
I will not go to places like Cost Cutters or Supercuts. I used to go to Regis, the gal there did a good job but it got to the point where she was just speed-cutting my hair and I am not a wham-bam kind of girl. I found a great gal that worked at the barbers and I loved her. The price was reasonable ($22) and she took her time cutting my hair. It didn't feel rushed. But they fired her (it was over something stupid). So now I go to a high end salon and I am happy with the cut but it is twice what I am used to paying.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:42 AM

2 posts, read 33,855 times
I agree that it's all about the stylist and not the salon. Back in the 80s I had a friend who was paying $50 a haircut because they gave her a glass of wine when she came in. I thought that price was insane, and I still think it's insane for a haircut. I'll drink my wine at dinner, thank you! I don't care about frills, I just care about the haircut, whether the stylists know what they're doing, and whether the place is sanitary. I went to a variety of salons growing up when my parents paid for them, and never went to Supercuts, which I think was the first discount chain to come into our area in the late Seventies. Most people looked down on them at that time, but I think they've become much more accepted since.

Since college I pretty much have bounced between Supercuts and Hair Cuttery. I generally find that if you go to the branches of these chains that are in more upscale towns, you'll find the better stylists that they employ. My theory is that salons in these areas have to compete with the surrounding salons, and customers there won't tolerate people who don't know how to cut. That said, the worst cut I ever got was from an upper-priced salon in the early 80s, where the guy cutting gave me his own feathered short haircut (I'm a woman and have always worn my hair long). In the Nineties, I had a miserable experience at an upper-priced salon (Chameleon in Media, PA) where I went to fix my at-home color mistakes, and they had no clue how to color correct. Whatever they put on my head, I couldn't breathe. They gave me a wet washcloth to put over my face. One of the stylists was suggesting putting Clairol's Luminize on it, a product that is not for that purpose at all. That is something I will never understand. In the end, the color wasn't even corrected, and they charged me $40 or so.

At the time, I didn't know as much about color as I do now. All I was trying to do was get the brassy red out of the crown of my hair, and I may have had black ends where the brunette dye I used had "grabbed." The salon should have had a blue shampoo like Red Out to use on my head, and bleached out the black from my ends and reapplied the correct shade. It was clear no one there knew what to do. Today, I could do this at home with no problem, although now that I know the correct way to apply color, I haven't had black ends in many years. I can't speak to the coloring skills of the discount salons since I do my own color.

To KayKay - yes, you do need to be more assertive as a customer. If the stylist starts doing something you don't like, tell them to STOP immediately. Bring a picture with you - there is less explaining to do of the vision you have in your head, and harder for the stylist to explain to their manager if they give you a cut that looks totally different. If you are really unhappy, any decent place should give you your money back.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:59 AM

2 posts, read 33,855 times
Default Not necessarily...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug24 View Post
If you have thick georgeous hair it will look amazing if SuperCuts stylist or high-end stylist will do the cut. If you have fine thin hair there is only so much a stylist can do for you.
Not necessarily true across the board about thick hair. If it's curly, it will hide a myriad of mistakes, and doesn't need to be as precise a cut. But if you have thick straight hair, such as Asian hair or caucasian hair that's poker-straight, every mistake will show. I have noticed unevenness in these cuts and lately, short sections on the back of womens' heads that look like they were chopped instead of flowing together. By the way, a friend of mine consistently got that effect from a salon she paid a lot of money for; I couldn't bear to tell her what the back looked like after she paid so much and said how much she loved the stylist. Some of the hardest cuts to do are ones that appear simple, like a bob on straight hair. This and other angular cuts on straight hair require precision in the lines.

Cutting fine or thin hair is a special skill as well, and some are better at it than others. I wish the "old lady styles" would go the way of the typewriter, but I guess many women of an older era continue to request roller-set dos, even though their hair is so fine that you can see clear through them. We can't all be lucky enough to have hair as thick as Eunice Kennedy Shriver's was in her eighties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care