Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2023, 06:47 PM

198 posts, read 71,560 times

Advertisements

My hair has broken off and the texture has totally changed after taking medications. What can I do to make my hair grow and what can I do to help the texture - other than stopping the medications?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2023, 07:31 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times
Adequate diet and gentle brushing.

Old 10-21-2023, 07:09 PM

9,718 posts, read 14,256,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantumly View Post
My hair has broken off and the texture has totally changed after taking medications. What can I do to make my hair grow and what can I do to help the texture - other than stopping the medications?
Natures Bounty - Hair, Skin and Nails Vitamins w/100 mg. Collagen

Old 10-21-2023, 10:21 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantumly View Post
Perhaps you should get checked for your biotin levels (B7 test)
If your dermatologist suspects that the cause of your hair loss could be a disease, vitamin deficiency, hormone imbalance, or infection, you may need a blood test or scalp biopsy.

You might need to take biotin supplements, also use biotin fortified shampoo and conditioner.

If you suspect that the hair loss is from medication, you might developed a mild case of a disease called alopecia areata, which causes your immune system to attack your hair follicles.

Old 10-22-2023, 07:46 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
You can apply Keratin Hi-Pro-Pac Intense Protein Treatment. I get them from Walmart. I have shoulder length fine hair and I find that this stuff helps to prevent breakage and frizz.

Old 10-23-2023, 07:23 PM

Biotin Pills.

I got mine at Wal Mart before summer started. I had the most growth I had in a while. I also took Vitamin C gummies.

Good food, hair care and "hair pills." '

Also tie your hair back before you sleep, it helps from having to brush it a lot (tangles/breaks.)

Old 10-23-2023, 10:50 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
Biotin Pills.

I got mine at Wal Mart before summer started. I had the most growth I had in a while. I also took Vitamin C gummies.

Good food, hair care and "hair pills." '

Also tie your hair back before you sleep, it helps from having to brush it a lot (tangles/breaks.)
All of this. I have taken biotin supplements for years & I know they work.

Old 10-24-2023, 04:53 AM

This discussion made me put some argan oil in my hair. BTW my argan oil had gone a bit rancid (smelly) so I put peppermint oil in it to cover the funk and that worked perfectly!

Just sharing as a budget tip to extend the life of a bottle of argan oil, as hair products can be pricey.

Growing out hair requires a lot of extra upkeep.

Old 10-24-2023, 02:33 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,047,755 times
If anyone is experiencing male pattern baldness, that is, mostly on the crown of the head, men can get a prescription for Finasteride, original brand name is Propecia. This is an enzyme based drug that "jams" the natural enzyme in your blood responsible for converting testosterone to dihydrotestosterone or DHT, DHT is a known bad actor in pattern baldness. This is not recommended for women. This is an FDA approved drug, it's a pill you take daily, a small pill about the size of a lentil.

Finasteride has been proven out in proper clinical trials, it's not "snake oil". Do yourself a favor, go to a dermatologist and also get a full body scan for skin cancer. Skin cancers are usually easy to cure completely if caught early.

A second FDA approved treatment is Minoxidil, brand name was Rogaine. You can of course still buy Rogaine, but generic Minoxidil is effectively the same thing and costs less. This is a topical liquid and generally applied 2X daily, or a foam, there is some anecdotal "evidence" that the foam is a bit more effective. I generally use the liquid in the morning, and the foam in the evening, the foam can tend to mat down your hair a bit. The actual mechanism that Minoxidil operates on is less clear than Finasteride.

Neither of these is expensive. The Finasteride does require a doctor's prescription, again this is a good chance to get checked for skin cancer. The nurse who checks me out every 6 months can take a good bit better look at my back and shoulders than I can looking backwards into a full length mirror, and she knows what she is looking for better than I do. Mastering the obvious here.

There is some anecdotal "evidence" that Nizoral or similar shampoo is helpful against MPB. You can try it, you need some sort of shampoo anyway if you want your hair to look good.

Old 10-24-2023, 02:43 PM

1,197 posts, read 527,858 times
Use Rosemary essential oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care