Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2023, 02:53 PM

3,053 posts, read 2,028,840 times

Advertisements

Do you have a Whole Foods or other health food store near you? Great to drink green juice, helps all parts of your body, skin, hair and insides. I noticed my skin gets shinier when I drink green juice.

Keep sugar content low. If you can't find a juice bar then try some of the juices in the grocery stores cold section.
Read the ingredients, again to keep sugar low.
Do not over-do drinking green juice. Just a little per day is enough.

I bought a juicer when I saw how good juice was for me. I only juice veggies about every 2 months then freeze the juice into ice cubes and drink them couple times a week. Don't add too much ginger, makes my skin thin. I use fresh ginger when cooking with no trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2023, 03:06 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
If anyone is experiencing male pattern baldness, that is, mostly on the crown of the head, men can get a prescription for Finasteride, original brand name is Propecia. This is an enzyme based drug that "jams" the natural enzyme in your blood responsible for converting testosterone to dihydrotestosterone or DHT, DHT is a known bad actor in pattern baldness. This is not recommended for women. This is an FDA approved drug, it's a pill you take daily, a small pill about the size of a lentil.

Finasteride has been proven out in proper clinical trials, it's not "snake oil". Do yourself a favor, go to a dermatologist and also get a full body scan for skin cancer. Skin cancers are usually easy to cure completely if caught early.

A second FDA approved treatment is Minoxidil, brand name was Rogaine. You can of course still buy Rogaine, but generic Minoxidil is effectively the same thing and costs less. This is a topical liquid and generally applied 2X daily, or a foam, there is some anecdotal "evidence" that the foam is a bit more effective. I generally use the liquid in the morning, and the foam in the evening, the foam can tend to mat down your hair a bit. The actual mechanism that Minoxidil operates on is less clear than Finasteride.

Neither of these is expensive. The Finasteride does require a doctor's prescription, again this is a good chance to get checked for skin cancer. The nurse who checks me out every 6 months can take a good bit better look at my back and shoulders than I can looking backwards into a full length mirror, and she knows what she is looking for better than I do. Mastering the obvious here.

There is some anecdotal "evidence" that Nizoral or similar shampoo is helpful against MPB. You can try it, you need some sort of shampoo anyway if you want your hair to look good.
Do not use Rogaine if you have cats.

Old 10-24-2023, 03:25 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Do not use Rogaine if you have cats.
I have cats and use Rogaine all the time, have been using it for decades? What do you think makes it incompatible with cats?

Old 10-26-2023, 08:08 AM

5,010 posts, read 590,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantumly View Post
...What can I do to make my hair grow and what can I do to help the texture - other than stopping the medications?
You sound like you would benefit from a good haircut...it will promote the growth of healthy hair. There's a wide range of products on the market that will help with texture.

Old 10-26-2023, 09:38 AM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
My wife reports good results using oral minoxidil.

Old 10-26-2023, 10:28 AM

17,213 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
My wife reports good results using oral minoxidil.
od

Minoxidil is a liquid normally applied directly and topically to the scalp. It is recommended for both sexes.

Finasteride is a pill taken orally. It requires a prescription. It's not recommended for women, partly because it could damage a male fetus if the woman was pregnant. If you don't care about that, it could be used by women if you can get a doctor to prescribe it.

So what exactly is your wife doing to improve hair growth?

Old 10-28-2023, 10:01 AM

25,943 posts, read 22,094,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Natures Bounty - Hair, Skin and Nails Vitamins w/100 mg. Collagen
I have been taking those for some time now, and at 69, my hair is thick and healthy looking. I keep straggly ends trimmed off, and years ago I heard the less you mess with it, the better. I avoid the blow dryer except when necessary, curling irons totally and comb/brush only as necessary. The only styling product I use is a gel (I'm growing my hair out and this makes it more bearable.) IC Styling Gel with Aloe, Vitamin E & Wheat Protein. They have a regular and a super hold product, and it doesn't dry out my hair, and I can comb through it.

I hope you find a solution that works.

Old 11-08-2023, 05:51 PM

1,196 posts, read 528,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
You sound like you would benefit from a good haircut...it will promote the growth of healthy hair. There's a wide range of products on the market that will help with texture.
A haircut does not affect "growth of healthy hair."

Old 11-08-2023, 07:01 PM

5,010 posts, read 590,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
A haircut does not affect "growth of healthy hair."
A haircut most certainly does boost hair growth by helping to get rid of problematic hair. If you have any damaged hair, it may actually impair the growth of healthy hair by constantly tangling with it and increasing friction and breakage throughout your hair. A haircut helps healthy hair grow faster.

Old 11-08-2023, 07:46 PM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
od

Minoxidil is a liquid normally applied directly and topically to the scalp. It is recommended for both sexes.

Finasteride is a pill taken orally. It requires a prescription. It's not recommended for women, partly because it could damage a male fetus if the woman was pregnant. If you don't care about that, it could be used by women if you can get a doctor to prescribe it.

So what exactly is your wife doing to improve hair growth?
Oral minoxidil, via prescription.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care