Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2022, 05:11 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times

Advertisements

At 68, I am Nature Bounty's "Hair, Skin and Nails" and am happy with that (it is a liqui-gel which I always prefer). I also found a shampoo that I like "Avalon Organics therapy biotin b-complex thickening shampoo". Now, I have had sensitive skin forever, and this has not bothered me in any way. I avoid conditioners, and don't fuss that much as I read long ago, the fussing with your hair, the less likely it thins as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2023, 10:46 AM

10,981 posts, read 6,852,461 times
I saw an article that discusses "rosemary water" for combating thinning hair. I am going to try it. My scalp issues are causing thinning hair. It involves taking 6 sprigs of fresh rosemary, boiling and distilling down into a solution that is kept in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Apply twice weekly using a spray bottle, covering the scalp and working all the way to hair ends.

Old 01-25-2023, 09:27 AM

Well friends, I went to the dermatologist yesterday. He gave me a tentative diagnosis of "Lichen planopilaris." He took 2 samples for a biopsy from the top of my head. We'll see. It causes not a small amount of hair loss, which is not my problem. I hope I don't have it because the antibiotic it is treated with I've taken in the past. It's a killer, at least for me. Doxycycline. Very strong drug that has some severe side effects. The exact cause of this illness is unknown. It is non-gene related, and is rarely drug-induced.

So now I've gone from plain old "folliculitis" caused by dust mites (he said no), to this. All I know is that whatever I try doesn't solve the scalp problem. I have lost some hair, but not a huge amount. Once I find out what the result is, I'll see about using the rosemary water because it would be nice not to lose any more hair due to simple aging.

It might be helpful to avoid any shampoo with peppermint in it. That substance caused some severe hair loss for me about 12 years ago. I have to avoid anything with peppermint in it.

Old 10-11-2023, 09:53 AM

Unfortunately, my latest shampoo seems to be causing hair loss, more than usual. I love this shampoo, and I recommended it on another thread, but can't find the thread even though I did a search.

This shampoo, Curiously Clarifying by Acure, doesn't have any peppermint or peppermint oil in it, but it has been causing hair loss. I don't understand why, it's very pure and seems to have a lot of really good ingredients. I don't think there is any other reason for the hair loss. Unfortunately, I'm going to stop using it and go to another brand. I might even start using pure castile soap again and use vinegar to get rid of buildup (though I don't use any styling products).

I'm not dissing this product at all, but I want to warn others in case they are also sensitive to peppermint or some other ingredient. Here is a list of the ingredients in this shampoo:

https://acure.com/products/curiously...42813706305749

Old 12-16-2023, 08:09 AM

27,336 posts, read 27,387,014 times
I think everyone has different ideas of soultions for thinning hair but my own thoughts might be that my solution has always been, about every other year, getting a body perm. Im in my 60s and have been doing perms since my 20s, because my hair has always been thin. Boy it does help. But then I use the Dove shampoo and conditioner.
Just my 2c.

Old 12-16-2023, 09:26 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
This week I packed up all the one-time use products I've been experimenting with and took them to a women's half-way house along with toothpaste, non-alcoholic mouthwash, brushes and picks. They were glad to accept them so I hope the result of all this experimenting wasn't wasted. I know it's important for those gals to be able to take care of their appearance while they are working on their insides. Both are important and sometimes they can't get out to do their own shopping for a while.

I was looking at some photos we took some years ago and see my hair looked thinner then so apparently there can be an ebb and flow dependent on health, diet and other factors.

This week I sampled a Garnier product - Mega Full Thickening lotion. I usually avoid the Garnier products because of their strong fruity smell but this one is odorless, non-sticky and light weight. Volume with movement is good. I was pleased to like it and will probably finish the small bottle.

Old 12-17-2023, 08:59 AM

24,470 posts, read 10,804,014 times
I am going through some thyroid issues and mayor stress right now. Malibu was highly recommended and I was told it will take three months to be back on track. Yes, it feels better!

Old 01-12-2024, 03:16 PM

22,822 posts, read 6,432,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
I am 75 and have straight, fine, thinning medium blonde hair turning grey in spots. I don't find any shampoo that helps. I do take biotin tablets. To cover grey I use L'Oreal root cover, not just the roots though. I also use Tresemme gel and 4 curlers on top. Keeping my hair fairly short helps too, I like it, for me anyway.
Well, now I am almost 77. I still have straight, fine, thinning medium blonde hair turning more grey but now I use L’Oreal boost it mousse instead of gel. It’s not as heavy.

Old 02-22-2024, 08:32 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,642 times
Rob English. You can find many of his free articles on the internet.

https://perfecthairhealth.com/

I have read his science based writings and as a result massage my scalp every day when I wash my hair. I do this in an attempt to keep the hair thick and healthy and avoid problems that come with time and degridation of follicles due to hormone changes and aging. Along with nutrition and a healthy diet. Massage changes the gene expression of hair follicles and loosens calcification that occurs in the scalp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care