Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2024, 07:16 PM

30,616 posts, read 18,198,614 times

Advertisements

Sorry to hear that, OP. I'm angry for you. I hope that you and your family friends find some peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2024, 08:15 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
So, the bigger picture here is why? Honestly, in my whole life, I’ve never thought of taking drugs. Why are our children doing this?
To feel good. To escape from the way they feel, sadness, anxiety, depression, hopelessness. To be accepted into a social group.

Old 01-03-2024, 08:53 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,655,549 times
Smart to let it out here.

Old 01-04-2024, 05:25 AM

4,834 posts, read 3,262,003 times
Would an advanced directive had made a difference in this case (taking the 'say' away from the daughter)?

Would the fentanyl issue be harmful to organs that might've been donated?

Old 01-04-2024, 06:00 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
OMG, people have been doing drugs for 1000s of years. Maybe you weren't around in the 60s?

Hell, literally everyone I know has done drugs back in their youth. They are all upstanding adults now.

The problem now is the drugs are more dangerous.
Yes I was around in the 60s, and no I didn’t do drugs, and I don’t understand why anyone would.

Old 01-04-2024, 06:29 AM

16,274 posts, read 10,398,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Yes I was around in the 60s, and no I didn’t do drugs, and I don’t understand why anyone would.
You missed the point. When you said "why are our children doing this?" you imply drug abuse is a new problem.

Old 01-04-2024, 06:49 AM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Would an advanced directive had made a difference in this case (taking the 'say' away from the daughter)?

Would the fentanyl issue be harmful to organs that might've been donated?

Both good points. I have an advanced directive but I gave healthcare advocacy to a relative that is a doctor.

I honestly don't understand how they allowed someone who was obviously under the influence make such important decisions. From what I hear, the daughter was still strung out but was forced to come to the hospital, in fact was dragged there by a cousin, and they only found her because someone called the police about a homeless woman passed out in a Dollar General parking lot.

Thanks everyone. I feel a lot better about it. It's out of my control.

Old 01-04-2024, 08:07 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,147,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post
i am not saying this is common, but i know of a situation like this.

my friend took a pill out of a Tylenol bottle at home and died. turns out his daughter, who had overdosed and died a few weeks before, was using regular pill bottles to store her street drugs in. it was a real tragedy.

sorry to say, there was no justice for my friend. the trail was too cold and too many street drugs out there.

i hope the daugher gets the help she needs. but, i would say the daughter's kids are the immediate need. i hope they don't fall through the cracks.
Now that you brought it up-

Addicts get this way because many police officers will "toss" the contents of a purse, bag or vehicle to make an arrest after starting a search. They get paranoid about being arrested (that would mean detoxing the hard way in lockup, and NO ONE wants to experience that)................

So they get good at stashing pills or paraphernalia. In the case discussed by OP here, it led to tragedy.

This is where the war on drugs is failing, addicts are bending over backwards to avoid rehab. Things could be better.

No consolation to OP or anyone else in this situation.

Old 01-04-2024, 08:09 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
I am so, so sorry you're dealing with this.

Old 01-04-2024, 08:31 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,276,683 times
I am sorry that this happened and I feel your anger. This is easier said than done but you have to try to take a step back and remind yourself that it is not your family. And when you can do that, you can be there for you friend with empathy.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning