Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2023, 08:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I keep thinking that this bug is on the way out only to have setbacks. There is a lot of stuff that I want to do but it is hard when I just want to go back to bed.

Cat
I actually got sent home from work because I was coughing so much. That bug (mostly a sore throat from drainage) set me back nearly two weeks. I am still sort of messed up from it and it happened in November. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2023, 10:47 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
I've been sickish (my sister's term) this week. I coughed a lot yesterday. Today I'm glad that I have a lot of tissues. I'm not terribly ill, but tired and a bit under the weather. Most things can wait until I feel better.

Yesterday was my late husband's birthday. It's not a big thing any more, but I still remember.

Old 12-14-2023, 06:39 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,276,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I've been sickish (my sister's term) this week. I coughed a lot yesterday. Today I'm glad that I have a lot of tissues. I'm not terribly ill, but tired and a bit under the weather. Most things can wait until I feel better.

Yesterday was my late husband's birthday. It's not a big thing any more, but I still remember.

Of course you remember. I still remember my first husband's dates (birthday, anniversary, etc) even though the marriage was not pretty and I realized that this past Sunday was the 35th anniversary of his death. It is hard to believe it has been that long. But on the same token, it seems like ancient history.

Cat

Old 12-14-2023, 08:55 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post

My main symptom was tiredness. Ugh. I just felt a bit off if that makes sense. At one point I wondered if this was my new normal? If I was just naturally lazy! But I wasn't - I was sick.

I realized today that I am about to turn the same age my husband was when he dropped dead of a sudden, massive heart attack. Wow, that's sobering. He was too young! What a shock that was.

Old 12-14-2023, 10:15 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My main symptom was tiredness. Ugh. I just felt a bit off if that makes sense. At one point I wondered if this was my new normal? If I was just naturally lazy! But I wasn't - I was sick.

I realized today that I am about to turn the same age my husband was when he dropped dead of a sudden, massive heart attack. Wow, that's sobering. He was too young! What a shock that was.
My husband was 54. Thankfully you're not going to drop dead any time soon. You look pretty perky to me. Anyway, that's what I feel about you.

Old 12-15-2023, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

I am grateful that I got to say goodbye to him. I know a lot of people don't get that chance. I got to thank him for the wonderful life we had. I heard his son thanking him for all the support he had given him over the years.

When he died, around his bed were his 4 kids, 4 of the oldest grandkids, his sister & his wife. I was holding one of his hands. His daughter was holding the other. The med techs came in, gave him something (I think morphine) and turned off his oxygen. No body said a word. I was just watching him as he took his last breaths. Then I heard sobbing. I glanced around to see everyone hugging everyone. Someone touched my back and without knowing who it was, I spun around to hug them. It turned out to be my stepdaughter who was a rock through all of this.

The next thing I knew everyone was holding hands. I reached across the bed to my 14 year old granddaughter (the youngest in the room). We grasped hands but put our arms out so he was in our circle. I broke the silence by saying, "Surrounded by Love." I don't want to call dying beautiful but, he was not alone when he left this world. And I'm sure his parents met him on the other side.

None of that was planned. It just happened. Everyone was talking about it the next day. His daughter called it "organic".

Cat

Old 12-15-2023, 11:13 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,918,476 times
I am so sorry for your loss, Cat. I had not seen any posts from you in awhile and wondered if you and your husband ever finished your old house.

Your wounds are fresh, but in time you will find a new normal.

Old 12-15-2023, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am so sorry for your loss, Cat. I had not seen any posts from you in awhile and wondered if you and your husband ever finished your old house.

Your wounds are fresh, but in time you will find a new normal.

Thanks. And a house is never finished.

Cat

Old 12-15-2023, 02:09 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,469,203 times
I'm sorry for your loss.

I've been married for twenty years now and it's true, two do become one. I couldn't even bear to think of losing him now.

This year, I lost my mom to cancer (hence why I'm here). While I didn't watch her take her last breath (she thankfully spared me that by dying while I fell asleep), I was there for her during her diagnosis and what followed until her death two months later.

It's been five months now. I guess I just keep swimming, but it is very hard. some days are worse than others. The only encouraging words I can muster is that our loved ones believe in us, that we'll live through it and continue on.

Old 12-18-2023, 09:48 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I'm sorry for your loss.

I've been married for twenty years now and it's true, two do become one. I couldn't even bear to think of losing him now.

This year, I lost my mom to cancer (hence why I'm here). While I didn't watch her take her last breath (she thankfully spared me that by dying while I fell asleep), I was there for her during her diagnosis and what followed until her death two months later.

It's been five months now. I guess I just keep swimming, but it is very hard. some days are worse than others. The only encouraging words I can muster is that our loved ones believe in us, that we'll live through it and continue on.
Your mother's illness came on so fast and so hard, out of nowhere. I think the shock of it all, and your world turning upside down without warning is as much a factor in your grief as her death in and of itself.

My fiancé's illness and incapacitation came on hard and fast out of nowhere. I remember that feeling of this "this can't be happening!". But he settled into a plateau state and had to be cared for day by day and it was another year and a half before he died. After the shock, I had time to prepare and brace myself for the loss. You didn't get that with your mom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning