Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2023, 08:22 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,355,663 times

Advertisements

The visitation is different than the funeral in that it is usually the day/evening before - it gives people another opportunity to meet with the family in case they can't make it to the funeral itself. It's not totally about "viewing" the deceased.

Also, because there is no actual service for the viewing people can all just talk to each other more freely than at the funeral. Sure, you can talk after the funeral if the family is having some kind of gathering. But yeah, just another opportunity to express your condolences and I don't think too many people go to both except of course immediate/very close family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2023, 08:33 PM

846 posts, read 681,244 times
Funerals are more about paying respect to the family than paying respect to the dead.

Old 01-09-2023, 08:56 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,514,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
Funerals are more about paying respect to the family than paying respect to the dead.
Not really. The family is way more concerned with their grief than keeping tabs on who was there or not. I literally do not remember a soul who were at my parent's funerals. I don't remember even which pastor did my mother's funeral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasCrown View Post
We think it was a calculated decision on his part unfortunately. He stayed just long enough for his life insurance benefit to be out of the contestable period before he did it.
Nothing says that it was not a rash decision and even if "calculated," it does not mean he was in his right mind making rational, well thought decisions. Suicide and thoughts of suicide is not rational and should not be used against that person or their memory. A little understanding woud be nice by some folks.

Old 01-10-2023, 03:35 AM

24,600 posts, read 9,440,677 times
I haven't been to a funeral in decades. Growing up I was forced to go to dozens of them, now I don't plan to ever again.

When it's my time, I want to be cremated so no one has to go to mine.

There's nothing wrong with the concept of a funeral, but I've been to more than enough.

Old 01-10-2023, 06:17 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,756,066 times
When a member of my family dies, we get a phone call notifying us and that they will be cremated. THen its mentioned that at a later time when everyone is free we can get together and empty teh ashes somewhere. THis has yet to happen and the urns are slowly accumulating on a shelf, lol.

My wifes family on the other hand is all about wakes and funerals and I was just at one last Tuesday. Luckily it was a closed casket wake as I find it to be somewhat traumatizing to see a loved one in that state, especially for the kids. It was a very traditional Catholic funeral and though it was nice seeing family, it just seems a little over the top. When I die, I just want to be cremated and placed on the shelf.

Id be perfectly happy never going to another funeral again and I dont think there is anything wrong with that. People grieve differently; some need the funeral for closure, others just need to be alone and forget about it.

Old 01-10-2023, 07:07 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,735,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
The family of the deceased do get comfort in people showing up, which is why I went to the funeral of my Aunts husband. he was a jerk, but she loved him, & was pleased I traveled a long way to go to the funeral. Funerals are really for those left behind. I always go to a family funeral if I am able to do so, it is a mark of respect. But that is my way of life, you do you.
When I was 18 my uncle who brought me up died..I refused to go to the cremation.. six months later his wife my lovely aunt died..they had took me in as a baby and were good to me but again I refused to go to her cremation.. I just couldnt face them and it was at a time when cremations had got more popular from burials... and women werent allowed at gravesides or expected to go to the.. Whether it was this or not being able to face them actually leaving I dont know.. but I hate funerals although I do attend now if a relative.. I dont see anything at all wrong with refusing to go to one... I have a cousin who hates them and also hates visiting anyone in hospital... so she never does.. but up to her..I attended my very first burial six months ago of my twenty five year old granddaughter and hope never to do this again in my lifetime.. it haunts me..

Old 01-10-2023, 07:21 AM

8,660 posts, read 3,856,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
A little understanding woud be nice by some folks.
You can’t (nor should you want to) change people/make them more compassionate; they are what they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
It’s both/either i.e. support the family in their grief and/or pay one’s last respects to the deceased. ‘Modern’ funerals don’t involve coffins or burials; it’s often just a gathering of sorts (for those who have been cremated). In other words, it doesn’t require a church, religious belief, ‘viewings’ or whatnot to do so - particularly relative to one’s explicitly-stated wishes.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 01-10-2023 at 08:23 AM.. Reason: added quote/response

Old 01-10-2023, 07:39 AM

846 posts, read 681,244 times
If I die, please don't spend $10k on a coffin for me. And don't give a penny to a funeral service.

Use the money to help people in the world who are alive and can actually benefit from those resources.

Old 01-10-2023, 07:46 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,330,473 times
I never have viewed my deceased family members before or during their funeral services.
That includes my beloved oldest grandson who died unexpectedly at age 29 this past July.
I much prefer to remember them alive….and keep them that way in my memories.

Old 01-10-2023, 01:40 PM

1,462 posts, read 658,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
You can’t (nor should you want to) change people/make them more compassionate; they are what they are.
I don't know if that is true.

Cause when something tragic happens to THEIR own, they very suddenly "get religion". So to speak. But I agree that you can't make them more compassionate than they are unless they are open minded and can listen with full hearts. But then I guess they'd be compassionate. Ha. I just contradicted myself.

But I'm with Joe on this one, I would still want people to be more compassionate. Wouldn't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning