Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 12:52 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,415,821 times

Advertisements

DC to Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2021, 10:18 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Which cities does it consist of? Any room for debate? Or is it just the Boswash corridor? Does it include Providence or Richmond?
Providence is in the BosWash corridor

Old 07-23-2021, 06:33 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,447,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
It’s a statistical fact that both Amtrak and coach travelers basically stick to their side of NYC. Something close to 90% of the travel stays on its own side of NYC.

And NYC-DC gets nearly 2x the frequency of trains that Bos-NY gets.

Boston is certainly an outlier on the coast
While I agree Boston is in some ways an outlier, I think the same can be said of Washington. The former is the only powerhouse city within New England, and therefore is a hub for the entire region. DC, on the other hand, lays on the practical border of North and South, and its history, built form, etc. is very different from the other major three cities.

Boston and DC are about the same distance from NYC, which of course represents the crux of the megalopolis. I imagine travel between NYC and DC is more frequent for two reasons. One reason being that Boston is somewhat more contained within its own smaller region, the other being that NYC and DC are the two most powerful cities in our country, and it is logical that influential people would travel between the two. In my mind, it doesn't make either one more or less a part of the megalopolis. They both have the Northeast Corridor train service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
Thanks, I rather like your word choice "ancillary". I use "orbiting", but ancillary is even better.

I suppose Portland, ME and possibly Richmond could also be ancillary given their relative proximities and connections to the opposite ends of the BosWash megalopolis. Specifically, Portland has regional ties to Boston (via New England) and Richmond ties somewhat to NOVA (via Virginia and the Greater Capital Region). The 2-hour stretch of I-95 between DC and Richmond is always very heavily congested, despite having no anchor city between the two. I know much of it is through-traffic, but there definitely must be commuter/local overlap.

Of course every American city is tied to NYC to varying degrees and depth, so there lies no support for my argument. Put another way, you can't use connections to NYC as an argument for being in the BosWash corridor since NYC connections are not exclusive to this region. Literally every part of the USA has some connection to NYC somehow.

Alternatively, you would be hard-pressed to correlate Portland with Baltimore, or Richmond with Philadelphia. After all, Philadelphia is as equidistant to Portland ME as it is to Erie (which is to say that is quite far-8 hours). And nobody would argue the Great Lakes Region is part of the BosWash corridor. So, I guess what I'm saying is that Portland and Richmond are mainly connected to the endpoints of BosWash, respectively.

Also, the word "Megalopolis" gives me major Sim City on Super Nintendo nostalgia. (:
As Duderino said, the whole urbanized Southeast Quadrant of Pennsylvania -- approximately everything within and Southeast of 78-81-83, is either within the heart of the megalopolis, or ancillary. It is pretty crazy what a high percentage of Pennsylvania's population lives within this quadrant, which represents three distinct regions: the Philadelphia metro, the Lehigh Valley, and South Central Pennsylvania.

Yeah, I think Portland and Richmond would count as "ancillary," and definitely the final points of cultural influence for the megalopolis. OMG, I have driven from Philadelphia to NC's triangle a few times, and I am always taken aback by how the traffic does not clear up on 95 after NOVA. It is terrible about the entire way until I switch to 85.

Last edited by Muinteoir; 07-23-2021 at 06:44 AM..

Old 07-23-2021, 07:40 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

just googled a Cruller..lol they serve those at Kripsy Kreme and at Royal Farms, hardly a New England thing.
Crullers were probably popularized in the US as a Dutch/New York thing. It is not hard to imagine that at some point in the last 150-200 years a cruller or two made it into New England.

According to wikipedia: "Crullers are most commonly found in Canada, New England, the Mid-Atlantic and North Central states of the United States"

So they have indeed spread throughout the Northeast to adjacent regions.

I find it amusing that someone would be willing to die on a hill made up of the notion that grits are more of a New England thing than crullers.

Also, the crullers at Krispy Kreme are not even real crullers.

Old 07-23-2021, 07:50 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
I've always associated grits as a souterhn thing.

Old 07-23-2021, 07:51 PM

1,675 posts, read 1,080,928 times
I know a few really good, old school bakeries in North Jersey where you'll find Crullers that melt in your mouth. Light as air. Outstanding. I used to get two black and two white. My younger, more robust years for sure lol.

Old 07-24-2021, 10:41 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Is the majority of I-95 south of DC and north of Boston developed land? Does it contain houses, warehouses, and other structures? Or is it mostly woods and fields?

Old 07-24-2021, 07:55 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,681,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Is the majority of I-95 south of DC and north of Boston developed land? Does it contain houses, warehouses, and other structures? Or is it mostly woods and fields?
The majority of land between DC and Boston on I-95 is woods and fields.

Old 07-24-2021, 10:13 PM

21,626 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Crullers were probably popularized in the US as a Dutch/New York thing. It is not hard to imagine that at some point in the last 150-200 years a cruller or two made it into New England.

According to wikipedia: "Crullers are most commonly found in Canada, New England, the Mid-Atlantic and North Central states of the United States"

So they have indeed spread throughout the Northeast to adjacent regions.

I find it amusing that someone would be willing to die on a hill made up of the notion that grits are more of a New England thing than crullers.

Also, the crullers at Krispy Kreme are not even real crullers.
The hill is crullers arent exclusive to new England nor Are grits unheard of. I didn't think most people know what crullers, or what grits are it’s probably pretty close seeing as me, Shudra, and btownboss all know what grits are..:...it’s an over-exaggerated difference.

Arguing Eastern ma is different than North Jersey because of crullers is just a a misfire. Other examples exist.

Old 07-25-2021, 07:06 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
The "fabled" Bos-Wash corridor is nothing more than an Acela route, and in the real-world (outside of C-D) has no real meaning or impact (it truly is a "fable"). Someone in a suburb outside of Boston has zero connection with someone in Arlington, VA.

These are different regions in different states with different cultures. They are simply stops on the Amtrak/Acela route, nothing more nothing less.

It would feel different and probably have more real-world meaning if it were located in an analogous region on the west coast (i.e. California) where you are essentially in one state/region with similar culture.

But as it is, this "fabled" region is simply the stops on an Amtrak route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.