Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 01:35 PM

21,626 posts, read 12,718,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I eat crullers and don’t know what grist are.

(Grits? If so, I know how they taste, but I’d still be hard pressed to say what exactly they are.)
My bad I meant grits.

They served grits at both my HS (Boston) and College (Hartford). I don't know what a cruller is. I also ate grits with cheddar cheese, pepper and bacon pretty much every weekend as a kid. Its a southern (black?) food.

So to say that's what we eat or know one knows is just factually inaccurate. You can order grits at many places in New England.. (Allston Diner, the Frogmore, Mikes City Diner, Back eyed Saly's Diner, Gracies, JP Spoonems...like, many places)

just googled a Cruller..lol they serve those at Kripsy Kreme and at Royal Farms, hardly a New England thing.

Living in some weird version of the past. The idea that eating grits means you're not formNew England is some combination of old-timey and probably racist and the idea that New Englanders eat Crullers and other people dont is just totally erroneous. Ive seen it more here than in Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2021, 01:36 PM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 3 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 975,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
NOVA
DC
Baltimore
Wilmington
Philly
Atlantic City
Trenton
Newark
Jersey City
NYC
Yonkers
New Rochelle
White Plains
Stamford
Norwalk
Bridgeport
Danbury
Waterbury
New Haven
Middletown
Hartford
New London
Providence
Springfield
Worcester
Brockton
New Bedford
Boston
Lynn
Lowell
Lawrence
Nashua
Manchester

Albany and Scranton are too far inland or small IMO
You included Atlantic City, Springfield, MA, New Bedford and Manchester, but no Allentown, Reading, Lancaster, York, Harrisburg, Frederick, Hagerstown, or Poughkeepsie/Newburgh?

Old 07-21-2021, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
You included Atlantic City, Springfield, MA, New Bedford and Manchester, but no Allentown, Reading, Lancaster, York, Harrisburg, or Poughkeepsie?
No to Harrisburg (too far inland, too small), I should've included Poughkeepsie. Newburgh is 25,000 people even if it is urban I wasn't gonna include it. If that were the case I would've included Chelsea MA and others. Same with York.

Atlantic City and New Bedford are very much on the coast and sort of anchor mini-regions. As does Springfield.

I'm not from PA I was going to overlook some of those places. Never been to Allentown Reading or Lancaster but know they exist. Generally, I don't hear or know about Central PA but sure toss them in there.

Manchester is on here but I could do without. That's very subjective.

EDIT: Poughkeepsie has 30,000 people that's too small for it too be that inland, like Harrisburg. If I were to include all urban towns/cities that small this list would be way too long.

Old 07-21-2021, 01:49 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
I do not consider it the Northeast Megalopolis. I've never heard that term. I've heard of the Bos-Wash Corridor.

It is from DC area (which would include Alexandria/Arlington) to Boston area.

It is a term that Amtrak developed:"BosWash Megalopolis"

https://www.amtrak.com/northeast-train-routes

Old 07-21-2021, 01:49 PM

Frederick (72k) and Hagerstown(39k) are rather amorphous and not very urban/populous compared to Manchester Springfield or even New Bedford. Places that are about 100k+ people and have their own Suburbs/MSAs/NECTAs. Ive been to Frederick before I wouldn't think it worthy of mention.

New London gets the shout out because its on I-95 and pretty independent from, other areas (namesake of New London County) and also it home to some major industry (Coast guard, shipbuilding).

PLaces of similar size I dont mention are Holyoke, Fitchburg, Pawtucket, New Britain (although maybe I should mention New Britain)

Old 07-21-2021, 01:55 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,889,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Which cities does it consist of? Any room for debate? Or is it just the Boswash corridor? Does it include Providence or Richmond?

Ive been hearing talk about this mythical ME-FL corridor for over 40 years, since it hasnt happened by now, I doubt it ever will

Old 07-21-2021, 02:04 PM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 3 days ago)

I think it's ok to include Harrisburg based on size (yeah city is only ~50k, but its MSA is almost 600k - Harrisburg has a lot of surrounding suburbs and towns). Though, regarding distance, it may be too far, idk. It definitely could be an orbiting city. Keep in mind Harrisburg is at the end of the Appalachian Mountains. It sits in the Cumberland Valley. So idk, I don't think it is a total stretch to include it.

Allentown is definitely in the BosWash corridor I feel. Lot of commuters to NYC and Philly. Reading and Lancaster have strong cases too - commuters to Philly and Philly Main Line. As does York for areas North of Baltimore.

Here's a Wikipedia map of what they consider the BosWash Corridor and orbiting cities:

Notably their map does include all the cities you mentioned and that I mentioned.
Also mods, idk if this map is allowed and I apologize in advance if not allowed.

Old 07-21-2021, 02:26 PM

14,008 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
lol you’re the same dude who said we eats “crullers”(?) in New England and don’t know what grist are.

Boston to NYC travel is constantly expanding and in generally I see tons of MA plates and meet many MA people in Maryland/DC. Damn near once a week.

The Eastern CT gap is barely a gap, it’s maybe an hour gap?

Hartford to Worcester is 45 minutes then it’s another 45 to Boston, south of Hartford is New London(on 95) and Norwich. New London is maybe an hour from Providence and 48 minutes from New Haven. The bag gap is new London to Worcester a whopping 72 minutes.

Go to any private college in New Jersey Massachusetts Connecticut or Maryland and tell me how little travel there is from the northern half to the southern half.

In between NYC and Boston you have two metros of 1M+ and when CSAS are taken into account there’s no gap between NYC and Boston at all. It’s contiguous.
It’s a statistical fact that both Amtrak and coach travelers basically stick to their side of NYC. Something close to 90% of the travel stays on its own side of NYC.

And NYC-DC gets nearly 2x the frequency of trains that Bos-NY gets.

Boston is certainly an outlier on the coast

Old 07-21-2021, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
I think it's ok to include Harrisburg based on size (yeah city is only ~50k, but its MSA is almost 600k - Harrisburg has a lot of surrounding suburbs and towns). Though, regarding distance, it may be too far, idk. It definitely could be an orbiting city. Keep in mind Harrisburg is at the end of the Appalachian Mountains. It sits in the Cumberland Valley. So idk, I don't think it is a total stretch to include it.

Allentown is definitely in the BosWash corridor I feel. Lot of commuters to NYC and Philly. Reading and Lancaster have strong cases too - commuters to Philly and Philly Main Line. As does York for areas North of Baltimore.

Here's a Wikipedia map of what they consider the BosWash Corridor and orbiting cities:

Notably, their map does include all the cities you mentioned and that I mentioned.
Also mods, idk if this map is allowed and I apologize in advance if not allowed.
They don't highlight New London but that New London/Uncasville/Groton/Norwich/ Newport RI area is a pretty relevant region if not superpopulated but it has modest urbanity (New London/Norwich) and relevance as an area for vacationing (Newport) and entertainment (Foxwoods/Mohegan Sun) and the Coast guard/shipbuilding

New London:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3511...4!8i8192?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3525...4!8i8192?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3498...4!8i8192?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3532...4!8i8192?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3537...2!8i6656?hl=en

Norwich:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5252...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5243...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5245...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5277...7i13312!8i6656

Old 07-21-2021, 02:39 PM

BostonBorn-yeah idk why New London isn't labeled. Ditto for Atlantic City and Toms River even.

At any rate, I guess this is one of those subjective threads.

Portland, ME also could be pulled in, though idk seems like once you cross into Maine on I95 there is a decent gap of rural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.