Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2023, 07:09 PM

79 posts, read 193,113 times

Advertisements

I have closed a mailbox at the UPS store and mails from my old address in Alabama are getting forwarded to UPS store mail box via USPS. Since I've closed the mailbox, how can I have USPS forward the mails from old Aabama address to the new California residential address? Is there a process to do it online? I'm confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2023, 07:35 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
You should be able to do this online at https://moversguide.usps.com/mgo/disclaimer

USPS has added some security steps to help insure that your request is legit.

Just make no mention of the UPS Box

Also you should contact the UPS Store re forwarding any mail that does arrive there.

Old 08-14-2023, 10:01 AM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Your OP is unclear…..you lived at a residential address in Alabama. You forwarded your mail to a UPS mailbox store in Alabama. Now you’ve moved to a residential address in California. Is that right?

1. You can “amend” your change if address from the AL residential address to CA address. You can try it on-line, if it doesn’t work get an actual COA card and mail to post office at your Alabama residential address zip code.

2. You cannot change address with the USPS from a UPS store. You need to contact the UPS store directly. They may charge you for this.

Old 08-14-2023, 11:13 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
As Okey Dokie stated, PMB's are problematic as the USPS systems does not always recognize the individual boxes/suites/unit# used by PMB's internally. As a result, a COA would result in all mail to that physical address being forwarded. The burden to effect a workable forwarding process for PMB's rest with the PMB provider, not the USPS. For USPS mail being forwarded to the PMB from a USPS delivery address, you can have that changed to reflect the new address.

Old 08-14-2023, 07:57 PM

102,184 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
You should be able to do this online at https://moversguide.usps.com/mgo/disclaimer

Also you should contact the UPS Store re forwarding any mail that does arrive there.
This. OP, you can go to the USPS office and request a change of address form, if you can't find it online. They'll answer any questions you may have. They need to have your address change on record anyway. I think some states require you to fill one of those out and show a copy when you apply for a driver's license in the new state. They want proof that you really relocated. I know Colorado requires that.

Old 08-14-2023, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Your OP is unclear…..you lived at a residential address in Alabama. You forwarded your mail to a UPS mailbox store in Alabama. Now you’ve moved to a residential address in California. Is that right?
No. I signed up for a UPS store mailbox in California before moving to California in Feb. So right now, USPS is forwarding mails from my old address in Alabama to UPS store in California. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 08-14-2023, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post

So I should file COA online as if I'm starting from fresh and filing for the first time from my old address to new address?
Also, I'm enrolled in Informed delivery at my current address with USPS, is that gonna interfere with the new COA from the old to a new address?

Old 08-15-2023, 06:55 AM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Tauson_Sr View Post
So I should file COA online as if I'm starting from fresh and filing for the first time from my old address to new address?
Also, I'm enrolled in Informed delivery at my current address with USPS, is that gonna interfere with the new COA from the old to a new address?
Yes, old to new as if first time

No, no problem

Old 09-01-2023, 06:56 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,330,555 times
Default Post Office Boxes

I recall reading somewhere not too very long ago that USPS will provide a free, small post office box to anyone who has no home where mail can be delivered. So, for example, a homeless person would qualify.

Getting USPS on the phone to ask questions is like pulling teeth---the wait times are horrendous, so I am asking here. Can anyone confirm if this is true or not? Thanks.

Old 09-01-2023, 07:03 PM

867 posts, read 721,273 times
Is there Mail Service for the Homeless?

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/Is-th...r-the-homeless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues