Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2023, 07:09 PM

2,050 posts, read 993,379 times

Advertisements

I don't know about that, however I have a PO box that also accepts packages from other carriers like UPS/FedEx. I'm able to use the street address of the post office and the "unit number" of my PO Box as my shipping address in situations where the shipper cannot ship to a PO Box. I pay extra for that service, but have to because there's no US mail delivery where I live.

There is also "General Delivery" to any post office in the US. Is that still in existence? You can receive mail, but not in a private mailbox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2023, 12:34 AM

2,221 posts, read 1,331,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I don't know about that, however I have a PO box that also accepts packages from other carriers like UPS/FedEx. I'm able to use the street address of the post office and the "unit number" of my PO Box as my shipping address in situations where the shipper cannot ship to a PO Box. I pay extra for that service, but have to because there's no US mail delivery where I live.

There is also "General Delivery" to any post office in the US. Is that still in existence? You can receive mail, but not in a private mailbox.
Thanks, that is good to know.

Old 09-02-2023, 01:29 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
I recall reading somewhere not too very long ago that USPS will provide a free, small post office box to anyone who has no home where mail can be delivered. So, for example, a homeless person would qualify.

Getting USPS on the phone to ask questions is like pulling teeth---the wait times are horrendous, so I am asking here. Can anyone confirm if this is true or not? Thanks.
Stop by your post office and chat with the post master.

Old 09-02-2023, 01:48 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
I recall reading somewhere not too very long ago that USPS will provide a free, small post office box to anyone who has no home where mail can be delivered. So, for example, a homeless person would qualify.

Getting USPS on the phone to ask questions is like pulling teeth---the wait times are horrendous, so I am asking here. Can anyone confirm if this is true or not? Thanks.
Yes, it's true. I've lived in very small remote towns that didn't have house to house mail delivery a number of times. My "official" address would be my name, PO Box number (sometimes General Delivery), town name, zip code. More recently, residents have had to present official ID and sign a USPS agreement re-validating our home delivery-status/box rental waiver every year. I have also needed to rent a PO box in very small towns because I lived in an apartment or house that wasn't on a delivery route or that didn't have an address that was discreet from someone else's.

One is a delivery choice made by the USPS. The other is a residence choice made by the addressee.

As for finding this information, probably any USPS counterperson (unless they're a total newbie) could explain this to you in person OP. The information is also available on the USPS website:

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/PO-Bo...NTQzMi4wLjAuMA..

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-02-2023 at 02:20 PM..

Old 10-08-2023, 12:36 AM

79 posts, read 193,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Yes, old to new as if first time

No, no problem
That worked and I have been receiving mails from old address to new one. Also, I didn't have to physically go and verify anything. Perhaps I used credit card for this, that's why. Not sure.

Old 10-11-2023, 12:10 PM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Tauson_Sr View Post
No. I signed up for a UPS store mailbox in California before moving to California in Feb. So right now, USPS is forwarding mails from my old address in Alabama to UPS store in California. Sorry for the confusion.
If you closed your UPS mail account, they will not forward your mail. You need to arrange for forwarding through USPS, so that UPS stops receiving your mail. They're not going to provide you with a service you're not paying for. I went through that myself, a couple of years ago. A UPS store employee closed out my account, when I'd been talking to the owner of the store, who assured me they'd continue to forward my mail. But neither he nor I knew, that my year of pre-paid service by coincidence came to an end just after I requested the closure. An employee saw that in the computer and shut everything down.

If you have time left on your account, they'll continue forwarding until your pre-paid period runs out. If you were paying monthly, then it's over at this point, or will be soon.

Old 10-15-2023, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Tauson_Sr View Post
No. I signed up for a UPS store mailbox in California before moving to California in Feb. So right now, USPS is forwarding mails from my old address in Alabama to UPS store in California. Sorry for the confusion.
I never put in a change of address with USPS anymore because a lot of marketers track you via USPS. I notify everyone individually at least two weeks in advance of a move.

At the moment, I am using a PMB at a store in my town. They told me they will NOT forward mail should I close the account. That is not a big issue for me, though, because as I said, I notify everyone individually starting with creditors then with friends. If you are afraid of missing out anyone, then go through your address book to jog your memory. Takes a bit of time, but in my opinion, it is well worth it.

Old 10-15-2023, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaic View Post
Is there Mail Service for the Homeless?

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/Is-th...r-the-homeless
No, at least not in my area. I spoke to USPS at least 2-3 times about this. They deny that ^^^ is their article even. I was told "general delivery" is possible whereby the post office just holds your mail somewhere in the back for you to pick up now and again, but generally only the main post office downtown will do this for you if you are homeless. They will not give you a free post box.

Old 10-15-2023, 01:33 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
No, at least not in my area. I spoke to USPS at least 2-3 times about this. They deny that ^^^ is their article even. I was told "general delivery" is possible whereby the post office just holds your mail somewhere in the back for you to pick up now and again, but generally only the main post office downtown will do this for you if you are homeless. They will not give you a free post box.
Why do you keep assuming that what you found in "your area" applies across the board? Many locales only have one post office within their zip code. No "main", no branches. I've worked/lived in quite a few rural areas for a few weeks or months at a time without a home address and without renting a PO box. GD was the workable option.

Maybe it's semantics, but the result was in fact a free post office box. It just didn't have the convenience of a key. I couldn't stroll into their office lobby after hours and expect to pick up my mail. A USPS employee had to retrieve it from a box and hand it to me across the counter. I've even used GD in situations with shippers who don't deliver to PO box addresses. Sometimes they would deliver to my name via GD at the same post office where my private post office box was located.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I've had access to a free private post office box in some towns for years. The rental fee for every private box holder in town was waived every year because the USPS didn't provide home mail delivery. In a town where the USPS does deliver to addresses, a post office box is an option even if you're technically homeless. You just have to pay for it.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-15-2023 at 02:14 PM..

Old 10-15-2023, 07:01 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
You do not get to pick your post office if you use general delivery. You get your mail. Is that not what it is about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues