Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2024, 06:43 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Digging around on Ancestry, I noticed that an All Access Account includes:

"Invite up to 4 family members and friends to join you on Ancestry® at no extra cost—same plan, same great features.

I'll look into this further to see if my gifted All Access Account includes the same terms.
https://www.ancestry.com/offers/subscribe

Here is the info I saw yesterday about family plans. They sound like two different accounts when comparing to one of the regular subscription plans

Get the Ancestry® All Access Family Plan

Monthly $59.99

6 Months $49.99/mo§ SAVE $60*

§ You are committing to a six-month subscription, but you will be billed on a monthly basis. If you cancel before the end of your subscription, an early termination fee of up to $25 may apply. See our Renewal and Cancellation Terms for more details.

Can existing subscribers update their subscription to a family plan?

Yes, existing subscribers can purchase an All Access Family Plan and upgrade their current subscription to a All Access Family Plan via the Account Settings page or by calling into Member Services. Upgrades result in the cancellation of the current subscription and creation of a new subscription. A refund for the remaining time on the current subscription is applied as a credit towards the amount due for the new subscription.

Customers who purchased a subscription through a third party app store (iTunes, Google Play, Amazon Store) are required to cancel their subscription with the third party first before purchasing a family plan subscription.

Can I join a family plan as a participant if I already have a subscription?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2024, 06:45 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Thanks roselvr. I won’t remove access to any of my data because our collective data is what helps all others who send in their samples. This is how we see our long ago relations to other groups. If new owners/executives have taken over the company they might be trying to see if they can make more money.

Hopefully they’ll discover that at least the old results we saw were what stimulated contributors to pay extra to follow up on their findings.

Old 02-12-2024, 09:22 AM

5,326 posts, read 6,012,751 times
I'm so pissed. The (not) coincidentally recently updated TOS prohibit class action lawsuits and mandate arbitration, blah blah blah. I have never, in my entire life, considered suing anyone for anything. My philosophy has always been *hit happens. This, however, is so intentional it is hard to dismiss.

https://www.ancestry.com/c/legal/termsandconditions

Old 02-12-2024, 09:43 AM

8,491 posts, read 4,552,009 times
It is time for customers to move on from Ancestry.com. They reneged on their contract of services with previous DNA test kit buyers.

Old 02-16-2024, 04:53 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
It is time for customers to move on from Ancestry.com. They reneged on their contract of services with previous DNA test kit buyers.

We'll see what happens as people find out about the changes. The people who always have a subscription do not care, or that's the replies I read in an ancestry Facebook group.

I'm hoping they will give us back the family tree and shared matches since they were offered when we bought our kits. We should be grandfathered in like My Heritage did.

Crista Cowan who works for ancestry has been reading and commenting in the group. Hopefully she is telling someone at ancestry that customers are not happy.

Old 02-16-2024, 10:54 AM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
I think you will find that the original contract had terms that allow them to modify the contract at will and with no recourse.

Old 02-16-2024, 12:40 PM

8,491 posts, read 4,552,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
I think you will find that the original contract had terms that allow them to modify the contract at will and with no recourse.

Possibly. I however would love to see some sort of class action suit brought against Ancestry. I would sign on to it.

Old 02-16-2024, 12:47 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
If Ancestry does this the others will follow.

I'm curious why you think any service should be free? They are a business.
Allowing people to look for DNA matches while not a paying member is big business, that's how they get new users. I was a member of Ancestry for a decade but I got sick of it and went to Heritage. Ancestry is too expensive and so many people don't pay attention when adding a 'relative' to their tree that you can't count on any of the information to be accurate. In any case DNA on their site is NOT their property, they will have to allow people to download it and use it elsewhere.

Old 02-16-2024, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
We'll see what happens as people find out about the changes. The people who always have a subscription do not care, or that's the replies I read in an ancestry Facebook group.

I'm hoping they will give us back the family tree and shared matches since they were offered when we bought our kits. We should be grandfathered in like My Heritage did.

Crista Cowan who works for ancestry has been reading and commenting in the group. Hopefully she is telling someone at ancestry that customers are not happy.
You can download your info and your DNA is your property, so you can download it and use it in Heritage or any one of a number of other sites

Old 02-16-2024, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Here is the info I saw yesterday about family plans. They sound like two different accounts when comparing to one of the regular subscription plans

Get the Ancestry® All Access Family Plan

Monthly $59.99

6 Months $49.99/mo§ SAVE $60*

§ You are committing to a six-month subscription, but you will be billed on a monthly basis. If you cancel before the end of your subscription, an early termination fee of up to $25 may apply. See our Renewal and Cancellation Terms for more details.

Can existing subscribers update their subscription to a family plan?

Yes, existing subscribers can purchase an All Access Family Plan and upgrade their current subscription to a All Access Family Plan via the Account Settings page or by calling into Member Services. Upgrades result in the cancellation of the current subscription and creation of a new subscription. A refund for the remaining time on the current subscription is applied as a credit towards the amount due for the new subscription.

Customers who purchased a subscription through a third party app store (iTunes, Google Play, Amazon Store) are required to cancel their subscription with the third party first before purchasing a family plan subscription.

Can I join a family plan as a participant if I already have a subscription?
It's not worth it, you can share your user name and password with your family members - what is the advantage of this? I pay $103 a year for Heritage and share my log in with 2 of my cousins and one of my grandkids
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy