Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2024, 04:49 PM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I paid for the first version of FTM to be released after FTM became independent of Ancestry. My online tree would not download with or without images. I spent hours on the phone with customer service. They had no clue why. They promised to investigate and get back to me. Nothing. After 6 weeks and repeated calls by me, I demanded and received a refund. I’m no newbie to computer software. I first started using a PC at work in 1982. I taught myself how to use various business software packages over the years.
That's unfortunate but I've never heard of anyone having that problem so it's certainly not common. And RootsMagic is an alternative, completely different company so highly unlikely you'd have the same problem and if you did, I'd say the issue must be on your end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2024, 09:36 AM

8,493 posts, read 4,552,009 times
Sadly, it now looks like Ancestry has taken away DNA features that you had previously paid for. The DNA match pages have now changed. You can no longer see a DNA match user's tree and can now see just three shared matches. You currently get directed to paid membership pages when trying to do additional tree or shared matches research.

Very disappointed in Ancestry as I bought a DNA test kit under the premise these features were part of it.

Old 02-08-2024, 04:55 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Sadly, it now looks like Ancestry has taken away DNA features that you had previously paid for. The DNA match pages have now changed. You can no longer see a DNA match user's tree and can now see just three shared matches. You currently get directed to paid membership pages when trying to do additional tree or shared matches research.

Very disappointed in Ancestry as I bought a DNA test kit under the premise these features were part of it.

It looks like they took just about everything away except ethnicity. Only showing 3 matches is ridiculous.

I agree with you, these features were included in the test price. I don't understand how they take them away.

The world explorer membership is still on sale for $1 for 3 months. I'm still not seeing anything that says when the offer goes off of sale.

World Explorer membership.
Get a better view of your entire family story with access to exclusive DNA features as well as the world's largest collection of family records.
$1 FOR 3 MONTHS** normally $99.95

** For new and returning subscribers only and not for renewal of current subscriptions. Your subscription will automatically renew at $99.95 every 3 months until you cancel by visiting your Account Settings or by contacting us. See our Renewal and Cancellation Terms for further details.

Old 02-08-2024, 10:57 AM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
I see that they're offering the stand-alone DNA test for $99, and the test plus a 3-month World Explorer membership for $100. In the small print below, it says "Some DNA features may require an Ancestry subscription".

I currently have a "US Discovery" membership at $229 annually, and that gives me all the DNA features, but don't see that as an option when purchasing a DNA test.

Old 02-08-2024, 08:11 PM

1,859 posts, read 837,121 times
its all about money. I use the free version at the public library, and its limited

Old 02-09-2024, 01:01 PM

12,958 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post

Probably been discussed here before, but I saw where 23andMe is also having problems, to the point of their worth being next to zero. I used both of them, but once I got the basics and spent a while doing my family tree as much as was easily done, I sort of lost interest.

Old 02-09-2024, 10:26 PM

5,326 posts, read 6,012,751 times
I suppose I lucked out in gifting myself a year's subscription. I was beginning to experience symptoms of withdrawal.
On another note, while researching whether genes played a role in providing some protection against CoVid, I came across a study conducted by AncestryDNA. (Spoiler alert: They do). Thank you to those of you who knowingly contributed your DNA to advance science. You DID agree to have your exome studied, right? IMHO, it would be grossly unfair for Blackstone (private equity firm that owns Ancestry) to use your DNA for free while requiring you to pay up to continue using Ancestry under the original agreement.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....06.20205864v1

Old 02-10-2024, 03:04 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Wow. Just went in to check my stuff in Ancestry. The only thing they are showing now is the number of centomorgans that are shared. Nothing else at all except historical overlap of geographic origins. Sooo much is now left out. They don't even line you up by parent.

IMHO that which existed before, when you and others sent in their samples, should not be hidden after the fact. Guess we should have taken screen shots to store. Too late.

Old 02-10-2024, 08:10 PM

5,326 posts, read 6,012,751 times
Digging around on Ancestry, I noticed that an All Access Account includes:

"Invite up to 4 family members and friends to join you on Ancestry® at no extra cost—same plan, same great features.

I'll look into this further to see if my gifted All Access Account includes the same terms.
https://www.ancestry.com/offers/subscribe

Old 02-12-2024, 03:39 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Wow. Just went in to check my stuff in Ancestry. The only thing they are showing now is the number of centomorgans that are shared. Nothing else at all except historical overlap of geographic origins. Sooo much is now left out. They don't even line you up by parent.

IMHO that which existed before, when you and others sent in their samples, should not be hidden after the fact. Guess we should have taken screen shots to store. Too late.

I'm seeing people talking about a class action lawsuit against Ancestry for removing features that were included when we bought the kits. If I see something definite such as a class action lawsuit, I will update this thread

I will most likely turn off matching to all of the kits I manage, about 15 total. Someone compared this to when GEDmatch did not fight law enforcement in court when they wanted access to all kits in the GEDmatch database. GEDmatch lost a lot of DNA kits to people removing them. It's about 5 years later, I still do not have any decent matches there. It's also similar to when FTDNA allowed LE to upload DNA from rape kits, before the option to opt in or out of "Investigative Genetic Genealogy Matching (IGGM)". FTDNA also suffered from people deleting kits.

I also saw talk about deleting kits/accounts. I'm not one to delete in a fit of anger. I shut off options if I can until the smoke clears. I did end up removing most of the kits I managed at GEDmatch after it was sold. That was mostly because anyone can have multiple accounts there to log in with; they put a kit number in the search matches box to see all matching kits, not only those opting into LE matching. GEDmatch had a note on their main page about some users bypassing the opt in/out kits about a month ago. I knew that some genealogists were using two accounts to identify unidentified remains and or violent criminals.

I see GEDmatch has changed their opt out privacy options found at the bottom of the upload a kit page. If you opt out, it will opt you out of being compared with kits submitted by law enforcement to identify perpetrators of violent crimes. It will still allow kits to be used to compare to unidentified human remains DNA.

GEDmatch claims people can not view kits that are not opted into the LE violent crime kits, I don't believe that as I can still look up info on any match that I see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Digging around on Ancestry, I noticed that an All Access Account includes:

"Invite up to 4 family members and friends to join you on Ancestry® at no extra cost—same plan, same great features.

I'll look into this further to see if my gifted All Access Account includes the same terms.
https://www.ancestry.com/offers/subscribe

I had seen that about inviting up to 4 family/friends yesterday. See the FAQ article link below. It tells about the family plan. Whatever I had seen yesterday, the family plan looked like it's own subscription plan.

Also see that if it is canceled before the end of the subscription, people can be billed a $25 fee. It looks like you have to cancel a renewal within 2 days of it renewing. Two days is not a lot of time, especially if the unsubscribe/autorenew button doesn't work like what happened to me when I somehow signed up for world explorer at full price a few years ago. I found out a month before it would auto renew. Thankfully I checked my ancestry account to make sure I did the unsubscribe/ not to renew it wrong. I was thankful it did work that second day.

Ancestry would not credit me for the 5 months I did not use it because I had logged in, went through a few hints I was given. They did not care that I didn't realize some hints were for paid members.

SPECIAL INTRODUCTORY OFFER page that you linked to

§You are committing to a six-month subscription, but you will be billed on a monthly basis. If you cancel before the end of your subscription, an early termination fee of up to $25 may apply. See our Renewal and Cancellation Terms for more details.

*Billed in monthly payments of $24.83 for a 6-month subscription to World Explorer. Your subscription will automatically renew at list price after introductory offer unless you are notified otherwise. If you don’t want to renew, cancel at least two days before your renewal date by visiting your Account Settings or by contacting us. See our Renewal and Cancellation Terms for further details.

Ancestry® Family Plan Memberships FAQ page

Quote:
Ancestry® Family Plans allow 5 people to share a single Ancestry membership and its features. This means one payment for up to 5 total Ancestry accounts (with separate usernames, passwords, and privacy settings) at a lower price than buying individual memberships.

Last edited by Roselvr; 02-12-2024 at 04:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy