Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you grow these?
yes 7 26.92%
no 15 57.69%
maybe/don't know 4 15.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2024, 11:36 AM

52,700 posts, read 34,630,631 times

Advertisements

this is the first time such a plant has been available to home growers. the fruits are loaded with anthocyanins, which have substantial health benefits. i have some that have just germinated.

https://ibb.co/rpFX9DX

Quote:
This nightshade is purple because its creators at Norfolk Plant Sciences worked for about 20 years to hack color genes from a snapdragon flower into the plant. The genes not only provide pigment, but high levels of anthocyanin, a health-promoting compound.

This dusky fruit, named the Purple Tomato, is the first genetically modified food crop to be directly marketed to home gardeners – the seeds went on sale Saturday. Last year, a handful of small farmers started growing and selling the tomatoes, but until now, genetically modified foods were generally only available to commercial producers in the U.S.

In a research published in Nature, Martin found that mice who ate a diet supplemented with purple tomatoes lived 30% longer than those who didn't.
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...-gmo-gardeners

https://gardenprofessors.com/unpacki...ered-tomatoes/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2024, 02:47 PM

3,066 posts, read 2,052,873 times
I've grown "black" tomatoes such as Black Cherry and many full-sized black tomatoes for decades. Most of them are heirlooms from cold countries in Eastern Europe.

The black heirloom tomatoes probably don't have as many anthocyanins as this genetically modified Purple Tomato but my choice would be to stick with black heirloom tomatoes rather than a gene altered version, mainly because heirloom tomatoes have been tested over thousands of years and been found safe for human consumption.

Old 03-14-2024, 05:48 AM

83,566 posts, read 75,505,242 times
I voted no. Although I would probably try once just to have a different look in the garden.
I can find other beneficial fruits and vegetables to have. I don't want something "modified". Give me natural

Old 03-14-2024, 06:06 AM

7,130 posts, read 4,851,323 times
The frankenfruit angle doesn’t bother me much. I have issue with black, purple, yellow tomatoes. Just don’t like the look, they should be orange-y red!

Old 03-14-2024, 08:10 AM

3,125 posts, read 2,078,861 times
I'll stick with the heirloom Cherokee purple tomato. I planted them once and now they come up every year from seeds scattered by wildlife....not always where I would prefer them to grow, so sometimes transplanting is required.

Old 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM

24,660 posts, read 11,001,272 times
For me a tomatoe has to be red, red, red.

Old 03-14-2024, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
I'll stick with the heirloom Cherokee purple tomato. I planted them once and now they come up every year from seeds scattered by wildlife....not always where I would prefer them to grow, so sometimes transplanting is required.
these wouldn't be a good choice to replace a large tomato like a cherokee purple - they're much smaller, basically cherry-sized. but traditional purple tomatoes only have anthocyanins in the skin, whereas these contain anthocyanins throughout the entire tomato flesh.

Old 03-14-2024, 12:55 PM

32,679 posts, read 48,175,275 times
I voted "yes" only because it doesn't bother me to have added color genes in my fruit. However, I do not grow any food because of the way it looks or the color of it. I have no interest in novelty.

Prove to me that it both produces superior flavor and that it will grow well in my area, and then I will order some seeds and grow it.

I grow snapdragons. I have no problem about eating snap dragons. I don't think that eating purple tomatoes will turn my brain cells purple.

But it is too bad that scientists didn't graft on something useful like the cold-hardiness of green peas, instead of a pretty color.

A bit off topic, but I grow purple asparagus. I had proof that it is a an excellent tasting plant and not just a novelty color, so I grow it.

Old 03-14-2024, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I voted "yes" only because it doesn't bother me to have added color genes in my fruit. However, I do not grow any food because of the way it looks or the color of it. I have no interest in novelty.

Prove to me that it both produces superior flavor and that it will grow well in my area, and then I will order some seeds and grow it.

I grow snapdragons. I have no problem about eating snap dragons. I don't think that eating purple tomatoes will turn my brain cells purple.

But it is too bad that scientists didn't graft on something useful like the cold-hardiness of green peas, instead of a pretty color.

A bit off topic, but I grow purple asparagus. I had proof that it is a an excellent tasting plant and not just a novelty color, so I grow it.
it's far more than just a novelty color.

Quote:
This nightshade is purple because its creators at Norfolk Plant Sciences worked for about 20 years to hack color genes from a snapdragon flower into the plant. The genes not only provide pigment, but high levels of anthocyanin, a health-promoting compound.

In a research published in Nature, Martin found that mice who ate a diet supplemented with purple tomatoes lived 30% longer than those who didn't.

Old 03-14-2024, 05:03 PM

25,999 posts, read 22,187,436 times
No, as when I grow, I grow heirlooms. I avoid all the GMO'd things that I can!

Since mice live about 2 years, a 30% longevity increase isn't that impressive to me. Plus, if I were a lab mouse, I would just as soon get it over with.

I bet the seeds will be expensive, and being GMO, doesn't that mean one and done for the seed? Could you save the seeds and plant and actually get "fruit" like with an heirloom, as I know with hybrids, you cannot.

Last edited by AnywhereElse; 03-14-2024 at 05:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden