Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you grow these?
yes 7 26.92%
no 15 57.69%
maybe/don't know 4 15.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2024, 05:51 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,907,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
No, as when I grow, I grow heirlooms. I avoid all the GMO'd things that I can!

Since mice live about 2 years, a 30% longevity increase isn't that impressive to me. Plus, if I were a lab mouse, I would just as soon get it over with.

I bet the seeds will be expensive, and being GMO, doesn't that mean one and done for the seed? Could you save the seeds and plant and actually get "fruit" like with an heirloom, as I know with hybrids, you cannot.
REad the second article. It says you can save the seeds and grow more plants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2024, 05:52 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,907,648 times
I want to know how it tastes? Because if it doesn't taste good, I won't waste my time or money. Seeds are $20 for 10, wonder if plants will be available?

Old 03-14-2024, 05:54 PM

2,075 posts, read 1,685,984 times
I grew purple tomatoes a few years ago that I'm pretty sure were not GMO. Indigo something. I forget who I bought them from. They tasted fine but I'd rather eat blueberries if I'm after some sort of antioxidant. There are definitely better tasting tomatoes out there (including Cherokee Purple).

Old 03-15-2024, 07:45 AM

52,700 posts, read 34,630,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
No, as when I grow, I grow heirlooms. I avoid all the GMO'd things that I can!

Since mice live about 2 years, a 30% longevity increase isn't that impressive to me. Plus, if I were a lab mouse, I would just as soon get it over with.

I bet the seeds will be expensive, and being GMO, doesn't that mean one and done for the seed? Could you save the seeds and plant and actually get "fruit" like with an heirloom, as I know with hybrids, you cannot.
no one cares if a mouse lives longer. the implication is that it could do the same for humans. you wouldn't want to live to 104 instead of 80?

and yes, you can legally save and propage these seeds, that's another first.

Old 03-15-2024, 08:23 AM

78,560 posts, read 60,762,573 times
Very interesting read.

I can't help but think of the Simpsons when Homer grew "Tomacco".

Old Today, 09:36 AM

52,700 posts, read 34,630,631 times
a bit of a kerfluffle at baker creek seeds (a very good company i've ordered from several times) - it appears the allegedly non-GMO purple tomato they claim to have acquired from a french grower is actually the Norfolk Plant Sciences line, so they've dropped it from their product line.

https://www.wyso.org/2024-05-05/how-...ied-as-non-gmo

Old Today, 10:04 AM

7,297 posts, read 5,177,575 times
Somehow pasta with purple sauce doesn't sound appetizing.

These guys just found a way to isolate and multiply the naturally occuring genes to produce more of the purple chemical (anthocyanins) that gives co!or to blueberries etc.

Research doesn't seem to show that ingesting large quantities of anthocyanins causes any harm, so no need to worry about adverse effects....OTOH-- no real research to show it helps health outcomes, only indirect results on various lab tests that suggest it might help when huge doses are taken. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...cules-25-03809

Grow them or not for other reasons than health concerns.

Old Today, 12:58 PM

44,657 posts, read 61,707,500 times
FYI.. all tomatoes you see on the market today have been genetically modified at one time or another. The original tomato from eons ago was yellow. No big deal, you eat what you like.

Old Today, 01:04 PM

48,574 posts, read 34,949,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
FYI.. all tomatoes you see on the market today have been genetically modified at one time or another. The original tomato from eons ago was yellow. No big deal, you eat what you like.
Yes. And they were very tiny.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old Today, 02:20 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,656 posts, read 81,386,567 times
My favorite tomatoes are Sungold and Black Prince, but I like to try different varieties, then grow again if I like the taste. Being GMO doesn't bother me at all, but I'd probably have to plant one to try since they have not yet been available at any stores. Our farmer's market opens next Saturday, maybe they will have some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden