Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2024, 09:02 AM

15,402 posts, read 7,468,300 times

Advertisements

There are commercial services that provide information on income and assets. Credit bureaus are one source as is The Work Number. There is also the Federal Data Services Hub.

Old 02-18-2024, 09:28 AM

2,199 posts, read 3,357,507 times
Every state is different in regards to SNAP.

In California the local food stamp office must first confirm your eligibility using your bank statements to get food stamps and avail yourself of assistance from food banks.

Overall, they look at your Gross Income, Net Income, and the Asset tests (excluding your home).

If you have 1M in the bank, depositing into a high interest rate account will bring in more than you would get from SNAP.

https://localfoodbank.org/why-do-foo...nk-statements/

Old 02-18-2024, 09:44 AM

253 posts, read 283,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4lynn View Post
Every state is different in regards to SNAP.

In California the local food stamp office must first confirm your eligibility using your bank statements to get food stamps and avail yourself of assistance from food banks.

Overall, they look at your Gross Income, Net Income, and the Asset tests (excluding your home).

If you have 1M in the bank, depositing into a high interest rate account will bring in more than you would get from SNAP.

https://localfoodbank.org/why-do-foo...nk-statements/
Its the "confirm" part that I'm asking about. I know what they all *SAY*, but what does "confirm" mean in reality? Same with "look at". What does "look at" mean in reality? They can ask to see your bank statements, but what if you tell them you don't have any? What if you show them 1 statement for an account with $50 in it and don't show them the one with $50k in it? It is the verification aspect that I am wondering about, not just what their own literature says. What measures are in place to keep a dishonest person who is trying to game the system from getting benefits that they are ineligible for?

Old 02-18-2024, 10:00 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,118,283 times
OK... what's the point of this?

...Just to be amazed at what the gov't may or may not check when handing out various benefits and approving people for programs (in this case food stamps)...

Are you planning to scam the system if you think they don't really confirm financial information?...OR....

Do you know someone who should be turned in for scamming the system. (Which if the person is truly a big enough fish they could be prosecuted for.)

What's the point of the deep, deep dive on this?

Old 02-18-2024, 10:24 AM

2,199 posts, read 3,357,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie11 View Post
Its the "confirm" part that I'm asking about. I know what they all *SAY*, but what does "confirm" mean in reality? Same with "look at". What does "look at" mean in reality? They can ask to see your bank statements, but what if you tell them you don't have any? What if you show them 1 statement for an account with $50 in it and don't show them the one with $50k in it? It is the verification aspect that I am wondering about, not just what their own literature says. What measures are in place to keep a dishonest person who is trying to game the system from getting benefits that they are ineligible for?

They have your social security number when applying for SNAP. They have your employment information. They can verify information.

Any account that may pay you money will have your social security number linked to it. They also can check your records looking for bank accounts that you have not reported.

However, a third party can set up an irrevocable trust in the individuals name who wishes to apply for Snap. The Trustee would manage the account and the Snap recipient would not have direct access to the account (thus wouldn't be considered the "owner" but is the beneficiary of the trust). This is done every day for medi-cal patients to ensure they remain on services (which they would loose if the funds were in their name). The Snap recipient would qualify for snap under this situation. (edited to add - this would be a special needs trust).

Last edited by twins4lynn; 02-18-2024 at 10:35 AM..

Old 02-18-2024, 10:57 AM

5,703 posts, read 4,278,576 times
You seem to be asking if the system is uncheatable. No, it is not. Liars can always get away with things. They can also get caught.

Old 02-18-2024, 01:00 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie11 View Post
That's how I thought it worked, but apparently not. I've been told they just take people's word for it and don't check anything that isn't earned wages from a job. And as far as bank accounts go, I've also been told if you just say you don't have any bank accounts and/or don't mention a bank account with a lot of cash or only show one with very little, they'll not check that either. But I have no idea.
You "have been told" by who?
Of course nobody checks applications

Old 02-18-2024, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
You "have been told" by who?
Of course nobody checks applications
People who are familiar with how it works. People who work for DHHS, and others who have just applied, lied, and have been continuously receiving snap benefits while having both an income that exceeds the stated cap and have savings that exceed the stated cap. I'm asking the questions because I am unfamiliar with how it works and have never applied nor received any snap benefits.

Old 02-18-2024, 04:49 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,889,008 times
Let's put it this way.

If you want to try to beat the system and lie on the application, no one's going to stop you. BUT...if you get caught, there is a fine and possible prison sentence awaiting you. What's worse, you may be banned from ever again getting SNAP benefits.

Some people can cheat the system their whole lives and never get found out. Others cheat once and get the boom lowered on them. There are asset and income limits to qualify for SNAP and one of those assets is what you have in your checking and savings account. If you lie about that, you will be found out.

Now having said that, I've been told by many people that if you're able to make it on the SNAP benefits, you have to cheat. I don't know that that's true, though. I was receiving the whole amount for a single person during Covid and I was able to feed myself all month. But I cook and my benefits were rarely for junk food.

So you make the call.

Old 02-18-2024, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
So you make the call.
I am not looking to make a call. I was asking this here to see if anyone on this forum happened to have additional information or insight on a subject I had recently become aware of and interested in. It appears that nobody does. So I will investigate elsewhere. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living