Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2024, 04:38 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie11 View Post
But none of that matters. It doesn't matter to me what you or anyone else thinks. It doesn't matter what I think. It doesn't matter whether I think someone has lied, or is committing fraud. NONE OF THAT MATTERS. The only thing that matters is the question - and the answer. The reasons, motives, assumptions, theories, opinions, etc.....none of that changes the question. So the only thing I am interested in is one thing. ONE.

The answer.

Everything else is totally, completely, absolutely irrelevant.

Maybe, maybe not. in case you didn't grasp my point, you seem to be doing exactly what you think the gubbermint is doing: reaching conclusions about income, assets and eligibility without verifying the information.

Old 02-24-2024, 05:09 PM

7,747 posts, read 3,778,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
The system is broken, there is no easy fix.
I'm not sure there is any fix whatsoever.

Old 02-25-2024, 11:26 AM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
I'm not sure there is any fix whatsoever.

Blaming the poor seems to work for many

Old 02-25-2024, 10:41 PM

5,327 posts, read 6,014,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie11 View Post
You've completely and utterly missed the entire point of the post and the discussion. It is precisely because these people are NOT "already down" that makes the fraud so outrageous.

But the post and the question was also NOT about: (1) what the readily available major official state or federal FNS / SNAP websites indicate the eligibility is. (2) whether SNAP benefits are a lot of money, worth giving someone a hard time if they are getting them - legitimately or by fraud, (3) whether it is worth the risk to commit fraud in order to get them, (4) opining on the fairness or value of the benefits or stated eligibility requirements, .....or anything OTHER than how the verification system actually works for checking assets and income. This could be in terms of the authority and/or agreements they have with banks, credit reporting agencies, the IRS, etc.....OR how the granular, technical cross referencing of data actually works in practice. My thanks to those who have both stayed focused and/or who have actually provided some relevant information.
The answer is most states do not verify assets because most states use categorical eligibility (as noted in a prior post).

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/7/272.8
The states must verify income using "information provider agencies".

The information provider agencies, at a minimum, are:
(i) The State Wage Information Collection Agency (SWICA) which maintains wage information;
(ii) The Social Security Administration (SSA) which maintains information about net earnings from self-employment, wages, and payments of retirement income, which is available pursuant to section 6103(1)(7)(A) of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Code; and information which is available from SSA regarding Federal retirement, and survivors, disability, SSI and related benefits;
(iii) The IRS from which unearned income information is available pursuant to section 6103(1)(7)(B) of the IRS Code; and
(iv) The agency administering Unemployment Insurance Benefits (UIB) which maintains claim information and any information in addition to information about wages and UIB available from the agency which is useful for verifying eligibility and benefits, subject to the provisions and limitations of section 303(d) of the Social Security Act.

2) State agencies may exchange with State agencies administering certain other programs in the IEVS information about SNAP households' circumstances, which may be of use in establishing or verifying eligibility or benefit amounts under SNAP and those programs. State agencies may exchange such information with these agencies in other States when they determine that the same objectives are likely to be met. These programs are:
(i) Temporary Assistance for Needy Families;
(ii) Medicaid;
(iii) Unemployment Compensation (UC);
(iv) Food Stamps; and
(v) Any State program administered under a plan approved under title I, X, or XIV (the adult categories), or title XVI of the Social Security Act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living