Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 10:21 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,893,205 times

Advertisements

Transportation

- TEX Rail news

TEX Rail | Commuter Rail Project > Home

Quote:
A long-awaited proposal to build a commuter rail line from downtown Fort Worth to Dallas/Fort Worth Airport has taken a major step forward.

The Fort Worth Transportation Authority board unanimously authorized its president Monday to sign agreements to run the TEX Rail line on tracks owned by Dallas Area Rapid Transit. The tracks, which run from near the Stockyards through Northeast Tarrant County, will allow TEX Rail to connect with DART’s light-rail line at the airport, possibly by 2018.

“I know the TEX Rail project has taken a lot more attention than we expected, but we’re to a point where some things have happened, and they’re all good things for the T, the city and this county,” T Chairman Scott Mahaffey said.

Mahaffey and other T officials declined to discuss details of the agreements, saying they won’t be made public until other parties sign them. That could take several days, perhaps weeks.

But the T’s action Monday illustrates that the agreements have been reached in principle, officials said. It’s a rare sign of progress in the T’s effort to bring a second commuter line to Tarrant County, to complement the Trinity Railway Express.

“The agreements are not done, but they’re close,” said new T President Paul Ballard, who arrived in Fort Worth in April after serving many years as Nashville’s transit leader.

Ballard said the T board’s action allows him to sign the contracts during the board’s expected summer absence. The board normally meets monthly, except in August.

“They just wanted to make sure we could get these agreements done in a timely fashion,” Ballard said.

Seventeen months ago, Fort Worth and Tarrant County officials fired and replaced all nine T board members, saying they were dragging their feet on the TEX Rail project. Mahaffey and eight other new board members were brought in and told to focus almost exclusively on getting TEX Rail built.

Meanwhile, in Dallas, DART is ready to open its Orange Line service at DFW Airport’s Terminal A on Aug. 18.

TEX Rail is tentatively scheduled to reach DFW’s Terminal B by 2018 — enabling passengers to transfer to the Orange Line — but that’s assuming that T officials receive the federal funding needed to complete half the estimated $810 million TEX Rail project.

After Monday’s action, Ballard is authorized to sell property known as the “Madill and Lumber Yard,” which DART intends to reserve for a future transit service. Ballard may also lease Cotton Belt Railroad right of way owned by DART in Northeast Tarrant County.

He may also sign an agreement with Fort Worth & Western Railroad, which owns trackage rights to the Cotton Belt line.

The T board hasn’t authorized Ballard to sign an agreement with Union Pacific Railroad to run TEX Rail from the Stockyards to downtown Fort Worth.

Read more here: TEX Rail agreements finally reached in principle | Your Commute | News from Fort Worth, ...
http://www.dfwi.org/system/resources...%2003%2004.jpg

Last edited by Acntx; 09-10-2015 at 12:00 AM.. Reason: Copyrighted picture - post link instead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 06:21 PM

156 posts, read 244,741 times
Those roundabouts look confusing and pedestrian unfriendly.

Hopefully some of those new buildings in the Stockyards will have wooden facades instead of brick or stucco facades to look like the old west.

This is a real good thread idea, btw.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeopleAreStrange View Post
Those roundabouts look confusing and pedestrian unfriendly.
Did you click on the demo?

Old 07-26-2014, 07:04 PM

156 posts, read 244,741 times
I admit, I didn't click on those links. I just figured those were your sources.

Oops.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeopleAreStrange View Post
I admit, I didn't click on those links. I just figured those were your sources.

Oops.
It just explains it better.

I believe pedestrians have right-of-way.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:09 PM

540 posts, read 1,105,406 times
So if I understand this "modern" roundabout...what makes it different from the Weatherford Traffic circle at 183/377 for example is:

neither roadway has precedence over the other (like 183 over 377)
no high speed entrance
must yield to pedestrians at entrances to roundabout
must yield to traffic circle regardless of which road you are entering on

is that about right?

Old 07-27-2014, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_nightowl View Post
So if I understand this "modern" roundabout...what makes it different from the Weatherford Traffic circle at 183/377 for example is:

neither roadway has precedence over the other (like 183 over 377)
no high speed entrance
must yield to pedestrians at entrances to roundabout
must yield to traffic circle regardless of which road you are entering on

is that about right?
Petty much.

These roundabouts are being put in (what will be) basic neighborhood streets. Not like 183 and 377, which are state and U.S. highways, so there will be nothing "high speed" about them. At the most, you'll be driving 35-40.

It's made to be more pedestrian friendly, as well. That's how these neighborhoods are being built.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:14 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Transportation

- TEX Rail news

TEX Rail | Commuter Rail Project > Home

Tex rail seems to benefit the burbs more than it does the citizens of Fort Worth. I don't understand why the southwest line was put on hold.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Tex rail seems to benefit the burbs more than it does the citizens of Fort Worth. I don't understand why the southwest line was put on hold.
They're working with The T... that should explain it. And this is a commuter line, not a streetcar or light rail, so it is meant a little more for the outside of the core than the inner city.

The Southwest line is needed, but they MUST focus on getting this set up and finished by 2018. Seriously, The T is one f*ck up away from me (and several other people in this city) wanting to join up with DART.

I'd rather work with Dallas than have an inadequate transportation system.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:16 PM

142 posts, read 362,226 times
Great thread.

I saw in a FB group a plan for (finally) The Presidio development off of Heritage Trace and 35 which included a WinCo grocery. Was kind of exited about that. Between them and Buc-ees I'm a happy camper. Only thing (still!) missing is a classic HEB store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth