Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 08:56 AM

14,423 posts, read 11,882,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Probably my biggest complaint about TJs. They used to sell a frozen Creme Brulee in a dark chocolate shell, the shell fit a 'normal' dessert size ramekin perfectly and if you played with microwave settings you could find a time/power setting you could get the Creme still cool with the chocolate a little warmed And now they no longer sell it
I always ask when one of my favorite items disappears. Sometimes it turns out to have been seasonal and I will have to wait until next year; sometimes it's temporarily out of stock and they will give me the date when it is expected to be back. Sometimes it has been discontinued by the supplier; there's nothing they can do about that. And sometimes they just stop carrying something. TJs stores are small and carefully curated, so if a certain item isn't selling well enough they will remove it.

That Creme Brulee sounds fantastic and I'm sorry I didn't get the chance to try it. On the other hand, I would probably have loved it and now it's gone, so it's just as well.

I still mourn the English Butter Fudge. There was one day last fall when I walked in and found Maple Butter Fudge (slightly different flavor, but equally wonderful) and was smart enough to buy two boxes. The next time, it was gone--and since I can walk to TJs and am typically there at least three times a week, I know it went fast. They told me it was seasonal and won't be back until next year, maybe, so I can only hope it comes back this fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2024, 02:32 PM

15,178 posts, read 27,948,113 times
Pretty much guaranteed that if I like something from there (as well as other places) - it WILL be discontinued.

Old 05-02-2024, 05:24 PM

68,380 posts, read 54,631,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I always ask when one of my favorite items disappears. Sometimes it turns out to have been seasonal and I will have to wait until next year; sometimes it's temporarily out of stock and they will give me the date when it is expected to be back. Sometimes it has been discontinued by the supplier; there's nothing they can do about that. And sometimes they just stop carrying something. TJs stores are small and carefully curated, so if a certain item isn't selling well enough they will remove it.

That Creme Brulee sounds fantastic and I'm sorry I didn't get the chance to try it. On the other hand, I would probably have loved it and now it's gone, so it's just as well.

I still mourn the English Butter Fudge. There was one day last fall when I walked in and found Maple Butter Fudge (slightly different flavor, but equally wonderful) and was smart enough to buy two boxes. The next time, it was gone--and since I can walk to TJs and am typically there at least three times a week, I know it went fast. They told me it was seasonal and won't be back until next year, maybe, so I can only hope it comes back this fall.

They had the Creme Brulee for quite a while but I think they also sometimes have things that are a one time purchase for them. A year or so ago they had some really good Belgian chocolate bars packaged in bundles of 3 or 4, they were excellent and ridiculously cheap for chocolate of that quality, they were in a bushel basket at the end of one of the aisles where you often see one shot deals. I was gonna stock up the next time I was there and of course there were no more.

Old 05-03-2024, 01:13 PM

2,903 posts, read 1,845,644 times
Thank each of you for sharing, I made a list of the products you named. Similar to another Poster, I too, am.a 40 minute drive from.Trader Joe's. Salami, Roquefort cheese.... Oh.my !

Non edible, so enjoy the new selection of grocery bags they carry, the fresh flowers coming through the doors, soul.food !

Old 05-03-2024, 03:25 PM

37,790 posts, read 46,297,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I literally just bought these for the first time.

They're in my freezer and I can't wait to try them!
I had my last one for breakfast this morning. So good!

Old 05-03-2024, 03:28 PM

37,790 posts, read 46,297,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I love the Kringle. I only have it once a year because it's not exactly health food, but when I have it I enjoy it.
The Danish Kringles!! Should have been at the top of my list! So damn good! TOO good. Almond is the best; but I have to cut it into small pieces and freeze it otherwise I’ll eat the whole thing LOL!

Old 05-03-2024, 04:15 PM

Since we're talking about TJs, I'm curious. I really hate to ask some of the workers where something is as they'll drop what they're doing and go get it for you, I'd really rather they just tell me and I'll go get it myself, I just hate to pull people away from what they're doing. Curious if this is typical of their stores?

Old 05-03-2024, 04:43 PM

11,404 posts, read 11,146,300 times
I always like to try one or two things I have never gotten before when I'm there, but the following are the regulars that are in my cart:

Pork gyoza (along with their gyoza dipping sauce as needed)
Rosemary Asiago cheese
Latkes (potato pancakes)
Lobster ravioli
Clam chowder (refrigerated)
Smoked trout (canned)
Tamales (the green chili variety)
Sourdough bread
Sesame sticks
Marcona almonds (truffle flavor)
21 Seasoning Salute (awesome added to just about any food type)

Old 05-03-2024, 04:51 PM

11,404 posts, read 11,146,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Since we're talking about TJs, I'm curious. I really hate to ask some of the workers where something is as they'll drop what they're doing and go get it for you, I'd really rather they just tell me and I'll go get it myself, I just hate to pull people away from what they're doing. Curious if this is typical of their stores?
Yes, they are 100% about taking care of the customer and the customer experience. They are always well staffed. A far cry from most stores of any variety these days. Another thing I love, is that they have about 12 registers and at least 10 of them are always manned, meaning that you rarely have more than 2 people in front of you on any visit. Nothing drives me more nuts when grocery shopping than being in a store where there are 15 registers and only 2 are manned with 6 people waiting in each line, and the rest at self checkout (like just about ANY Safeway or Albertsons). TJ's is far better priced than either of those two places as well.

Old 05-03-2024, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Yes, they are 100% about taking care of the customer and the customer experience. They are always well staffed. A far cry from most stores of any variety these days. Another thing I love, is that they have about 12 registers and at least 10 of them are always manned, meaning that you rarely have more than 2 people in front of you on any visit. Nothing drives me more nuts when grocery shopping than being in a store where there are 15 registers and only 2 are manned with 6 people waiting in each line, and the rest at self checkout (like just about ANY Safeway or Albertsons). TJ's is far better priced than either of those two places as well.

Believe me, I think TJ's customer service is Top-Notch. I asked because except once in NJ, I've only been to the TJs local to me in NC, I was just curious if that's the norm around the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink