Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2024, 06:41 AM

504 posts, read 532,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Our gov't gets its $ from its citizens (or by printing more of it).

The big diff in Florida is, our gov't takes less money from its citizens, & in this case, even gives some back, or further reduces its taking.

Americans are fleeing other States who take too much $ from its citizens, & move to States who don't...like FLA.

It's not just Florida's weather that is attracting great wealth from highy taxed Northern States. You'd think those States (NY & CA especially) would apply some critical thinking to stop the exodus of its most prized citizens. These 2 States have lost Billions in taxable income to FL & TX...their tax & spend policies have failed.

FL & TX are crushing NY & CA, & DeSantis & Abbott are crushing Newsom & Hochul DeSantis just turned up the heat on them w/ this $1B tax deal.
How are they giving this money back? I pay taxes through property and sales, haven't seen a reduction of either.

Old 05-15-2024, 09:47 AM

285 posts, read 148,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firmbizzle View Post
How are they giving this money back? I pay taxes through property and sales, haven't seen a reduction of either.
You literally said you pay taxes through sales tax, yet are incapable of seeing how having no sales tax on certain things is "giving this money back".

You can disagree with the method. I certainly don't care for these "tax holidays". I buy stuff when I need it and honestly don't care if I save a couple of bucks on sales tax a couple times a year. I would rather have a reduction on big expenses like property tax. However I'm not going to sit here and deny reality just because it doesn't align with my political views.

Old 05-15-2024, 12:51 PM

26,013 posts, read 13,007,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firmbizzle View Post
FLA's not mailing out rebate checks, but they are lowing future taxes. You have to read the bill to see the areas they're cutting back...Cliffs Notes:

https://www.flgov.com/2024/05/07/gov...ar%202024—25.

As Corie22 said, this is just $1.5B of a $7B reduction. And, DeSantis built up the disaster relief funds back up post Ian. FLA's finances are A+ in toto.

All taxes included, FLA's one of the best 5 States on taxes, & that was prior to DeSantis's $7B cuts:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...e-lowest-taxes

Old 05-15-2024, 09:09 PM

3,482 posts, read 2,474,861 times
When Florida reduces state sales tax to 4% to offset the county and "tourism" taxes, I'll be impressed. A week off of paying tax on a pizza and a 6-pack of Hanes underwear doesn't impress me. At all.

My property tax is imposed by the town I live in, not the state. So there's no savings there either.

Old Yesterday, 05:41 AM

Hey y'all...Arkansas, Alabama, & Mississippi are cheaper, there's no Gov DeSantis there, & its easy to find Banjo lessons:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta.../affordability

States w/ lower taxes are; Alaska, Tennessee, New Hampshire, & Wyoming...if weather & beaches are moot. Shoveling snow's great excersize...& no Gov DeSantis:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...e-lowest-taxes

Last edited by Yac; Yesterday at 09:49 AM..

Old Yesterday, 08:08 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,099,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Come on over to my house in Tampa; there's enough mosquitoes here to fill your yard and mine 10x over. I open the door and the first thing they do is swarm inside; they are not stupid. They like AC.
I live in the city of Tampa near downtown and yes there are mosquitoes. I mean this is Florida... Good gosh...

Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM

5,027 posts, read 7,477,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
When Florida reduces state sales tax to 4% to offset the county and "tourism" taxes, I'll be impressed. A week off of paying tax on a pizza and a 6-pack of Hanes underwear doesn't impress me. At all.

My property tax is imposed by the town I live in, not the state. So there's no savings there either.
Well said

Old Yesterday, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post

Keeping in mind that this is a State (not local city, county, town) forum...

Does Florida being in the top 5 States (top 10%) for tax burden impress you?

Does Florida's highest State Bond rating impress you?

Does DeSantis reducing future taxes/tolls/fees by $7B impress you?

Does Florida being at, or near, the top for domestic migration year after year impress you?

Does Florida being touted as being amongst the best places to live and retire impress you?

If not, why stay here and be Life is too short to be sad.

Why not explore living in the 4 States (listed above), that have lower tax burdens than Florida? You might be in Alaska.

Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM

3,482 posts, read 2,474,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Keeping in mind that this is a State (not local city, county, town) forum...

Does Florida being in the top 5 States (top 10%) for tax burden impress you?

Does Florida's highest State Bond rating impress you?

Does DeSantis reducing future taxes/tolls/fees by $7B impress you?

Does Florida being at, or near, the top for domestic migration year after year impress you?

Does Florida being touted as being amongst the best places to live and retire impress you?

If not, why stay here and be Life is too short to be sad.

Why not explore living in the 4 States (listed above), that have lower tax burdens than Florida? You might be in Alaska.
My home state has no tolls, so no - reducing tolls doesn't impress me at all.

I don't know what state bond ratings are so no - it doesn't impress me. I was able to afford my tax burden up north, and I lived in a high tax burden state. It was the mortgage that we couldn't afford once the spouse's department shut down and the "breadwinner" of the house was aged out of work, not the taxes. I hate the MASSIVE migration to Florida. It's ruining Central Florida, which used to have beautiful farmland, pastures, wooded areas and other marvels of nature. They paved Paradise and put up an HOA.

The only reason I live in Florida is spouse said he'd miss me if I didn't come with him. I've lived here in the past, back in the 1980s and hated it then too.

I don't care about tax burdens. I'd rather pay MORE taxes in Florida, and see more people getting better services, and more funding to combat violence in schools, and more funding for QUALITY health care - which is abyssmal in this state.

Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,067,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachnot4us View Post
Yes, because as a boomer I don't know what are paragraphs. Since my tool in my pants no longer works, let me not use paragraphs and jerk about the State Bond which only the autist of the autist cares about. I love jerking off about the state for the 1000th time because my children, family and my real life friends can't stand my gusts and only CD is my family. I'll keep using emojis since it will make me look smart but deep down I have no life and keep putting on Faux News for my information.
Genius!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida