Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 08:28 AM

5,520 posts, read 7,115,390 times

Advertisements

I have always loved aquariums. Especially large ones with beautiful colors. I am ready now to get one going. I am willing to put the time, money and energy into maintaining the tank. I want to go with a large one, I prefer a 6' long tank, as I have plenty of room. I'm not sure how many gallons that would be.

Can anyone refer me to a good resource for learning the ropes for aquariums? Where is the best place to buy a tank and stand? Would like to know how much work is involved, how many fish can survive in such a tank. How long is the lifespan of fish? etc.

Thanks and Happy New Year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 05:35 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,274,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
I have always loved aquariums. Especially large ones with beautiful colors. I am ready now to get one going. I am willing to put the time, money and energy into maintaining the tank. I want to go with a large one, I prefer a 6' long tank, as I have plenty of room. I'm not sure how many gallons that would be.

Can anyone refer me to a good resource for learning the ropes for aquariums? Where is the best place to buy a tank and stand? Would like to know how much work is involved, how many fish can survive in such a tank. How long is the lifespan of fish? etc.

Thanks and Happy New Year!
My 6 foot tank is 180 gallons. It is 6x2x2. Perfect size for larger fish.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:33 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,853,400 times
This is a great place to learn about fish keeping.

Tropical Fish Forums

Read through the stickies in each the 'your new freshwater tank' section, particularly everything about cycling a tank. My number one tip for you starting out is NOT to trust your local fish store employees blindly. Educate yourself first. Many fish store employees are not well trained. They may tell you that 'cycling' means letting a tank run for a day before adding fish...cycling is actually much more complex and very important to the health and safety of your fish.

There are many fish that can survive in a large tank (and it's good you're starting out with a big tank...they're actually easier to maintain than a small one.) You might want a lot of smaller schooling fish, or you might decide on just one or two big guys. Life span will also depend on your species, but many fish can live much longer than people realize.

You'll find maintaining your tank doesn't take long at all...maybe half an hour twice a week. But again, you want to start out right, which means learning about the bacteria cycle and how to test your water.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:15 AM

556 posts, read 1,228,486 times
^ what this guy said.

Patience is key in this hobby.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
This is a great place to learn about fish keeping.

Tropical Fish Forums

Read through the stickies in each the 'your new freshwater tank' section, particularly everything about cycling a tank. My number one tip for you starting out is NOT to trust your local fish store employees blindly. Educate yourself first. Many fish store employees are not well trained. They may tell you that 'cycling' means letting a tank run for a day before adding fish...cycling is actually much more complex and very important to the health and safety of your fish.

There are many fish that can survive in a large tank (and it's good you're starting out with a big tank...they're actually easier to maintain than a small one.) You might want a lot of smaller schooling fish, or you might decide on just one or two big guys. Life span will also depend on your species, but many fish can live much longer than people realize.

You'll find maintaining your tank doesn't take long at all...maybe half an hour twice a week. But again, you want to start out right, which means learning about the bacteria cycle and how to test your water.
Thank you , that looks like a great site.
I also picked up a book on Freshwater/Marine/Pond Fish.
I'll be up and running in no time.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:17 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Heres another resource.. i found helpful

Aquaria Central

Old 01-05-2013, 11:09 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,904,022 times
I like Aquaria Central, I'm a member there. Another good site is The Planted Tank Forum

Even if you don't put any plants in the tank, it still has a lot of useful info, and it's an active forum. If you decide on goldfish, here's a good goldfish forum: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/

PJJCat gave you some good advice. Just be sure to research the types of fish you get, and not to mix the wrong kinds together. For instance, you shouldn't mix most tropical fish with goldfish etc. Good luck, I'd love a tank that size!

Old 01-07-2013, 07:31 AM

I was wondering if it is okay to use an old dresser or a buffet/side-board for the stand?
The stands they sell in the stores aren't very decorative. I know the weight of the tank is several hundred pounds.
I can't imagine the stands in the pet stores being any stronger than a well made peice of furniture.

Any thoughts?

Old 01-07-2013, 10:57 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,274,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
I was wondering if it is okay to use an old dresser or a buffet/side-board for the stand?
The stands they sell in the stores aren't very decorative. I know the weight of the tank is several hundred pounds.
I can't imagine the stands in the pet stores being any stronger than a well made peice of furniture.

Any thoughts?
A smaller tank (20 or under) might be okay. But honestly these dressers weren't made to hold several hundred pound by any means. I agree though the particle board stands now a days are junk.

How about you make one? You can really buff them up with lumber and never have to worry about anything. I understand everyone can't build one, but if you know the right people or have the space it isn't that hard.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:06 PM

I know, I'm not talking about the cheap furniture that's made in China, but more so the good quality workmanship of yesteryear. I have a nice buffet from the 60's that strong, solid and sturdy and I can't imagine why it's not going to hold a tank when the store stand is made of particle board and is basically hollow inside, No extra support brackets.
I was just wondering if it's a gimmick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish