Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 01:31 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times

Advertisements

We just ran into a problem with one of our fish I got my wife a big catfish, probably five inches long. THe mostly wiggles in behind a plastic plant right next to the heater.

Recently, he appeared to be rotting. He has long white blisters on his side and chinks of flesh are missing. We thought it was some disease, but could not find anything that matches his condition. Eventually wifey figured out he is probably getting burned by being up against the heater. We moved the heater away from his area and we will see wehther he gets better. He is a really cool fish (We call him Bub for "Big Ugly Bob").

Another odd thing, we are addiing 7-10 gallons of water a week. We cannot find a leak anywhere. Where is it all going? Being winter, the air is very dry, could that much be evaporating?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 06:14 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,272,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We just ran into a problem with one of our fish I got my wife a big catfish, probably five inches long. THe mostly wiggles in behind a plastic plant right next to the heater.

Recently, he appeared to be rotting. He has long white blisters on his side and chinks of flesh are missing. We thought it was some disease, but could not find anything that matches his condition. Eventually wifey figured out he is probably getting burned by being up against the heater. We moved the heater away from his area and we will see wehther he gets better. He is a really cool fish (We call him Bub for "Big Ugly Bob").

Another odd thing, we are addiing 7-10 gallons of water a week. We cannot find a leak anywhere. Where is it all going? Being winter, the air is very dry, could that much be evaporating?
It is evaporating. Is there a top on the tank? Glass or a hood?

Mine goes through 5 gallons or so a week.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:36 PM

THere is a partial glass thing down the middle. There is a wooden hood. We end up doing 20 % water changes because 10% of the water changes itself.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:43 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
I am excited to see a picture of the op's setup.

My little 10 gallon is going super well.
Literally 5 minutes of maintenance a week - gravel vacuum and 25% water change.
I have a sponge for algae scrub, but I haven't seen any algae except on my heater.

The fish are doing great, everyone's getting along, and everyone is lively. It's been great and I have channeled my hankering for another tank into getting other people into the hobby!

Old 03-27-2023, 06:13 PM

Quote:

Another odd thing, we are adding 7-10 gallons of water a week. We cannot find a leak anywhere. Where is it all going? Being winter, the air is very dry, could that much be evaporating?
Hey, just and update. Big Ugly Bob is still alive and doing well. Never found what the issue was but it went away so I think he was burning himself hiding behind the heater. Kinda surprised he has lived this long.

Old 03-27-2023, 06:46 PM

13,308 posts, read 366,139 times
Quote:
Hey, just and update. Big Ugly Bob is still alive and doing well. Never found what the issue was but it went away so I think he was burning himself hiding behind the heater. Kinda surprised he has lived this long.
Good news. Always so nice when things are going well as aquariums can get complicated.

Old 03-28-2023, 06:56 AM

5,511 posts, read 7,104,558 times
Well I finally got my aquarium, ten years later lol.

I found a 55 gal tank with a nice cabinet and canopy. The tank had lime deposits all over it and I just purchased a new one yesterday. I will keep this older tank and clean it later.

I want to have bigger fish so I can see them from across the room. I like the idea of goldfish, as they are mellow, but someone told me they are dirty. I am interested in African Cichlids but heard they are aggressive to other fish. So I am not sure yet.

I may paint the cabinet and canopy. This is an expensive hobby I see, with all the stuff you have to buy.

But I will enjoy it.

Old 03-28-2023, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Well I finally got my aquarium, ten years later lol.

I found a 55 gal tank with a nice cabinet and canopy. The tank had lime deposits all over it and I just purchased a new one yesterday. I will keep this older tank and clean it later.

I want to have bigger fish so I can see them from across the room. I like the idea of goldfish, as they are mellow, but someone told me they are dirty. I am interested in African Cichlids but heard they are aggressive to other fish. So I am not sure yet.

I may paint the cabinet and canopy. This is an expensive hobby I see, with all the stuff you have to buy.

But I will enjoy it.

Goldfish are really dirty. There are large bright colored fish that you can get for fresh water. Cichlids are pretty but very difficult to keep alive. They are very aggressive. Angelfish are pretty Cichlids and not too hard to keep alive and not too aggressive as long as the tank is not crowded. They come in lots of neat clors and configurations and can be found almost everywhere that sells fish.

Cherry Barbs are pretty (you need several). Tiger and golden barbs are pretty too. They are slightly aggressive,but if the tank is not crowded, they are usually fine with other fish. There are some pretty Gouramis. Rainbow fish are cool once they grow up.

There are some really cool looking Plecos. Also some neat catfish - usually more because of their shape than colors. Some catfish are so ulgy they are cool.

Old 03-28-2023, 06:47 PM

1,126 posts, read 607,749 times
Welcome to a great addiction.

Been keeping freshwater tropical for over 40 yrs. Currently have a 75 gallon that has been running for over 25 yrs (but it has developed a slow leak so I can't fill it too much, will need to break it down and re-silicon the seals)

My advice to you... when you pick your fish, TAKE YOUR TIME.

Research the species online, the care it needs, what it eats, diseases, etc.

Also quality VS quantity. Buy a specimen that you LOVE. Perfect fins, etc.

Why? Because buying fish is addictive and your aquarium will be overfilled in no time.

The biggest mistake a beginner makes is overfilling the aquarium. Needs a lot more maintenance and less room for error in water quality management.

BTW, another tip... most pleco's poop more than they are worth, esp the bigger ones. The sailfin ones are gorgeous but they overgrow most setups. The common ones are cute as lil pups, but they also get huge. Personally I like one or two Nerite snails... they will eat plenty of algae on the glass for you.

Old 03-29-2023, 07:06 AM

5,511 posts, read 7,104,558 times
Thank you! You two sound like you will be a good resource.

I know I will probably have too many fish, as I won't be able to help myself. One thing I will need is patience. I heard it may take some time to get the water quality right, and I don't want to lose expensive fish in that process.
What is considered a lot?
I was thinking of having about 5 different types of fish, so is two of each okay?
The fish I had in mind after researching include: Guianacara, Gourami, Blue Acara, Angelfish, and Geophagus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish