Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2023, 04:48 PM

31,902 posts, read 26,954,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I don't know when they introduced their shaving cream but my Dad told me when he was overseas during WW II they used to shave using Noxzema skin cream by itself.
Latest trend in cosmetics and beauty aids (gasp) for males is return to shaving creams that are just that; thick creams not cans of pressurized foam.

Cans of shaving "cream" that are pressurized foam are a relatively recent invention. Historically anything from soap to various creams or straight fats/oils were used.

Where foams may have a slighter edge is that they do contain more water than creams which some guys believe gives better shave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2023, 07:49 AM

4,606 posts, read 3,298,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I love the smell of Ponds too, but find it heavy as a facial moisturizer. I like Olay for that. It smells nice too. I use coconut oil to remove makeup.

How are you all using the noxemzema? As a cleanser or a moisturizer or both?
There is a difference between Ponds Cold Cream and Ponds Dry Skin Cream. They even smell different. Ponds Cold Cream is very heavy, has an unmistakeable pleasant smell, and is used to take off makeup, for which it excels. Ponds Dry Skin cream is very light, much lighter than most cream moisturizers, and has a different smell.

I used to use Noxema as a moisturizer until I grew up and my face got drier and needed something more.

Old 06-15-2023, 08:34 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I love the smell of Ponds too, but find it heavy as a facial moisturizer. I like Olay for that. It smells nice too. I use coconut oil to remove makeup.

How are you all using the noxemzema? As a cleanser or a moisturizer or both?
Ahhhhh. My grandmother, who had GORGEOUS skin all her life, always used Ponds Cold Cream to clean the makeup off her face, and then she used Oil of Olay during the day. Good times! I loved the way she smelled.

I have a huge tin of Noxzema that I bought in Europe a year or so ago. I may give it a try after reading all this!

Old 06-16-2023, 06:38 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,006,366 times
Love this thread.

Us Gen Xers were likely the last generation to use Noxema in mass.

I remember using it after frying myself on the beach all day but also as a face cleanser.

It was a staple in our home and we would always circle back to it.

My grandmother was a witch hazel user and according to my mother she used to mx up a mask of witch hazel and borax and put it on her face before bed every night and sleep over night in it. All I know is her skin looked like a porcelain dolls.

Old 06-16-2023, 01:31 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I've never used it as a beauty aid, but as a child I was slathered in it after spending the entire day at the beach and suffering from severe sunburn. I wasn't aware it was still being produced.
The last time I had Noxema in my hands was when my DH first came to visit us in Hawaii (1987). He is White and didn't listen when we (me & my family) warned him
to be careful and at least wear a hat.

He spent the day out with my dad, uncles and cousins. I woke up to him softly crying because he was sooooooo sunburned. He was literally lobster red and could not get comfortable.

He had to wait for the store to open, so I could pick up the Noxema. I stuck him in the pool in one of my dad's long sleeve shirt with one of my really wide brimmed sun hat. He looked ridiculous, but it was the best I could do.

He was slathered in Noxema for 3 days - it saved his life since I was tempted to kill him; he cried more than our 6 month old baby!

Old 06-17-2023, 07:44 AM

13,343 posts, read 368,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerz88 View Post
I just did, got lured in lol. I know it will smell good….
Been years since had used it, the new seems to be a nice improved light whipped texture?
, feels wonderful, smells wonderful, glad I got some.
Always been so fussy about my skin creams..I need to thin out my collection of some I started using and never finished cause went on to something different, ….like stop buying more till those are gone but too late now….lol.

Old 07-14-2023, 02:16 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,149,613 times
So.....

I used Noxema (b/c acne) and for others, I'd help them use it on sunburns.

Surprisingly the standbys for bad skin have not changed much over the years.

Old 08-10-2023, 08:26 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,102,934 times
When I was a kid and took dance classes / recitals - they would slap heavy make up on us for the stage and my mum would slather my face with ponds cold cream to remove it all! I remember, she wasn't very gentle and some of it always ended up in my mouth!!!
Small "tubs" of ponds are available to buy at Dollar Tree and that smell really takes me back!

Old 08-10-2023, 10:57 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,980,478 times
I just bought the equate version of noxema. My face has increased softness, Dewey look under foundation, and using less moisturizer.
I love it.

Old 08-17-2023, 11:17 PM

2,056 posts, read 1,000,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I haven’t heard of Noxema for years. I didn’t know they still made it.
Ditto. I had forgotten all about it! After I saw this thread I bought a container of the original formula at my local grocery and it felt/smelled just like it used to. Don't think I've used Noxema since the mid-90s. I had horrible acne as a teen and I don't think it was of any help at all, but I used it anyway. Everyone did, it was pretty popular. My sister and I used to wipe it off our faces with wash cloths and then toss them covered with white goop into the laundry hamper. No idea why we didn't just splash it off our faces with water instead.

I like it - the smell and tingly feeling is kind of invigorating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty