Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 10:14 AM

5,650 posts, read 6,208,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Its typical for 3rd party candidates to do well months before an election. Right now its a protest vote where certainly most voters are not fine with having to choose between Trump and Biden so they check off RFK Jr or the green party. But when push comes to shove and you get into the fall the 3rd party candidates will lost the vast majority of their support to either Trump or Biden. Voters are not naive. They know in a close swing state that voting 3rd party could create unintended consequences especially when your 3rd party choice has no chance of getting even 10% of the vote. In 2016 the green party did have an effect on swing states. Probably cost HRC the election. And the fact she did not bother to campaign in many of those state. 2020 3rd party candidates did much worse. I would like to see RFK Jr or the Libertarian party surge become a factor in November. But those chances are slim and none. Its going to be 2020 all over where the 3rd parties are not at all a factor.
That describes me pretty well before this cycle, but I honestly can't see myself voting for either Trump or Biden in November, even though I'm in a swing state. I can't see how either one leads us to a good place. If we all give in and vote for one or the other the system keeps working the way it is. Not that I think it will change even if there is twice the protest votes as in 2020 but we have to start somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2024, 10:58 AM

13,689 posts, read 7,976,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Its typical for 3rd party candidates to do well months before an election. Right now its a protest vote where certainly most voters are not fine with having to choose between Trump and Biden so they check off RFK Jr or the green party. But when push comes to shove and you get into the fall the 3rd party candidates will lost the vast majority of their support to either Trump or Biden. Voters are not naive. They know in a close swing state that voting 3rd party could create unintended consequences especially when your 3rd party choice has no chance of getting even 10% of the vote. In 2016 the green party did have an effect on swing states. Probably cost HRC the election. And the fact she did not bother to campaign in many of those state. 2020 3rd party candidates did much worse. I would like to see RFK Jr or the Libertarian party surge become a factor in November. But those chances are slim and none. Its going to be 2020 all over where the 3rd parties are not at all a factor.
You believe the odds of Kennedy/Stein being a factor come Nov are slim and none. O.k.

Let me ask you this: There are voters in the swing states particularly WI and MI who recently sent a message to the WH - they aren’t happy with what’s going on in Gaza.

It seems this voting bloc might prefer Biden lose in order to show how disruptive they can be in the all-important swing states.

Now, I don’t want to get into a debate regarding the conflict. Just their strategic approach come Nov.

Yes, a Trump return to the WH won’t help their cause. However, they might feel only a kamikaze vote bloc will force the Dem leadership to make a clear choice: them or Israel.

Thoughts?

Old 04-05-2024, 02:29 PM

19,802 posts, read 9,341,315 times
Default No Labels Party will not offer candidate in November

I must say that I am disappointed.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/no-labe...ial-race-2024/
Quote:
No Labels, the centrist political group, is abandoning its effort to draft a third-party "unity" ticket to run in the 2024 presidential race, the organization announced Thursday.

The group, which has worked for months to gain ballot access in states across the country for potential candidates, said it only planned to pursue a ticket "if we could identify candidates with a credible path to winning the White House."

"No such candidates emerged, so the responsible course of action is for us to stand down," No Labels said in a statement.

Old 04-05-2024, 02:31 PM

So, now my choice will be between the Libertarian candidate and Trump.

(Heavy sigh)

Old 04-05-2024, 02:33 PM

18,051 posts, read 15,645,534 times
This has already been discussed in another thread that's in elections.

N.L. is kaput. They apparently approached over 30 candidates to run, and no one wanted any part of their organization or whatever it is.

Old 04-05-2024, 02:37 PM

16,760 posts, read 8,208,674 times
Why would you waste your time running? RFK Jr. is being funded by a Russian Tech guy, who is also funding Trump.

Old 04-05-2024, 02:39 PM

26,476 posts, read 15,057,355 times
No labels has a label: anti-Trump. They figured that they'd hurt Biden more than Trump so they opted out.

That's their principles.

Old 04-05-2024, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
No labels has a label: anti-Trump. They figured that they'd hurt Biden more than Trump so they opted out.

That's their principles.
I am inclined to agree with you.

I think I remember being worried about their leaders seemed to be more liberal than centrist when I first read about No Labels months ago, and then when I saw another article today -- behind a paywall, so I didn't post it earlier* -- that said that the No Labels national director was going to vote for Biden, that just confirmed my first impression.

* https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-vote-director

Last edited by katharsis; 04-05-2024 at 03:22 PM..

Old 04-05-2024, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
This has already been discussed in another thread that's in elections.

N.L. is kaput. They apparently approached over 30 candidates to run, and no one wanted any part of their organization or whatever it is.
I saw that after I started this thread, but I left it because I think more people read the P&OC forum than they do the Elections forum.

Old 04-05-2024, 03:20 PM

18,051 posts, read 15,645,534 times
No Labels is, or at least was, funded by conservative donors. For instance, they received major funding from Harlan Crow, a leading donor to Republican and conservative causes. No Labels have been described as a dark money organization.

The goal was to confuse voters by presenting a candidate who appeared to be moderate/centrist, with the goal of taking away votes from the dems. There was never any expectation that any candidate they ran would actually win. NONE of the 30+ candidates they asked to run under their banner agreed to do so. The founders knew there was no path to 270 electoral college votes for a 3rd party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections