Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2024, 06:40 PM

19,769 posts, read 18,055,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
The survey that started this thread was not, in fact, a survey of the "customers" of public education. Not even close. It was a survey of the general population about the general state of education. For all we know, it was a bunch of grumpy old retired folks who just want to pay less taxes. Which would be like surveying a bunch of 20-somethings about their satisfaction with Medicare.

When PARENTS are actually surveyed about THEIR OWN SCHOOLS there are large majorities that support them.

These are the actual customers of public schools. The top line in this graph:
So adults without kids in public schools should continue to be forced to pay but also keep quite?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2024, 07:45 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
So adults without kids in public schools should continue to be forced to pay but also keep quite?
We all pay for government whether we use it or not. I'm forced to pay for the fire department but have never once had a fire. I'm paying for highways in eastern Washington that I never use either.

The point is that, using my example, one might survey 20-somethings about Medicare and even get some opinions. But those opinions are unlikely to be informed by any actual experience as customers of the Medicare program.

Likewise, oldsters and single people without children might well have opinion about the current state of public schools. But those opinions are unlikely to be grounded in reality or any real-world experience with any actual schools.

Old 04-07-2024, 07:58 PM

43,055 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Ultimately changes come from the Ivory Tower researchers who are far removed from reality

Old 04-07-2024, 08:19 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Do other Americans pay for the street or road that passes your house?

Old 04-07-2024, 09:46 PM

12,833 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
We all pay for government whether we use it or not. I'm forced to pay for the fire department but have never once had a fire. I'm paying for highways in eastern Washington that I never use either.

The point is that, using my example, one might survey 20-somethings about Medicare and even get some opinions. But those opinions are unlikely to be informed by any actual experience as customers of the Medicare program.

Likewise, oldsters and single people without children might well have opinion about the current state of public schools. But those opinions are unlikely to be grounded in reality or any real-world experience with any actual schools.
So who is allowed to comment on our education system?

BTW, the article included a link to the methodology that answers your demographic question.

Agist much? At what age is someone no longer allowed an opinion?

Old 04-07-2024, 09:54 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post

BTW, the article included a link to the methodology that answers your demographic question.

Everyone is allowed to comment on anything they want to. It's a free country.

I'm merely pointing out that a random survey of random Americans isn't necessarily going to give us an accurate picture of the actual state of American education. Such as the trope reflected in the survey that we need to "get back to basics" and have more "reading, writing and arithmetic." Because such opinions are unlikely to have much basis in reality or actual experience with real schools. But are more likely to reflect the constant drumbeat in the media from politicians looking to gin up culture war hysteria over education.

That is why people who have actual experience with American public schools, the parents themselves (or customers as you call them), have vastly different opinions about schools than the public at large.

Last edited by texasdiver; 04-07-2024 at 10:15 PM..

Old 04-07-2024, 10:21 PM

Quote:

I'm 74, and I didn't find his post ageist at all.

Old 04-08-2024, 05:51 AM

27,546 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
When PARENTS are actually surveyed about THEIR OWN SCHOOLS there are large majorities that support them.
It makes sense that most parents support their own schools.

They are usually a reflection of their own neighborhoods and socioeconomic status.

We know there are vast differences in school ratings based on where they are located.

Old 04-08-2024, 07:17 AM

12,833 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Everyone is allowed to comment on anything they want to. It's a free country.

I'm merely pointing out that a random survey of random Americans isn't necessarily going to give us an accurate picture of the actual state of American education. Such as the trope reflected in the survey that we need to "get back to basics" and have more "reading, writing and arithmetic." Because such opinions are unlikely to have much basis in reality or actual experience with real schools. But are more likely to reflect the constant drumbeat in the media from politicians looking to gin up culture war hysteria over education.

That is why people who have actual experience with American public schools, the parents themselves (or customers as you call them), have vastly different opinions about schools than the public at large.
What about those who had kids in school? What about those who actually hire and employ the graduates of the school system?

Whether it's PISA scores or public views, it's amazing how educators can find ways to dismiss anything that indicates problems within the system.

Old 04-08-2024, 08:37 AM

Quote:
What about those who had kids in school? What about those who actually hire and employ the graduates of the school system?

Whether it's PISA scores or public views, it's amazing how educators can find ways to dismiss anything that indicates problems within the system.
And it's equally amazing how a certain segment of our population dwells on the negative and overlooks the positive. It's an obsession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education