Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2024, 10:59 AM

7,815 posts, read 3,817,548 times

Advertisements

Reported by Wells $treet

Jo Boaler is a controversial Stanford professor of math education who helped craft a new California education plan that, among other things, recommends holding off teaching algebra until high school, because it’s not fair to let smart kids start tracking away from others in the 8th grade. This was a policy she helped convince San Francisco to adopt about a decade ago, and which it’s now suspending… because it didn’t work.

The Chronicle of Higher Education reports that Boaler is accused (again) of questionable research practices. An anonymous (hmmm) 100-page document sent to Stanford alleges a bunch of bad stuff, including claims that some of the research she used to bolster her arguments actually undermines them.

She’s also accused of sending her kids to private school, where algebra *is* taught to middle schoolers. Because she’s not an idiot.

This almost could be a made-for-TV movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2024, 11:24 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
There are no architects in your post?

Old 04-02-2024, 11:49 AM

19,792 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
There are no architects in your post?
That's all you can muster?

Old 04-02-2024, 11:51 AM

19,792 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Reported by Wells $treet

Jo Boaler is a controversial Stanford professor of math education who helped craft a new California education plan that, among other things, recommends holding off teaching algebra until high school, because it’s not fair to let smart kids start tracking away from others in the 8th grade. This was a policy she helped convince San Francisco to adopt about a decade ago, and which it’s now suspending… because it didn’t work.

The Chronicle of Higher Education reports that Boaler is accused (again) of questionable research practices. An anonymous (hmmm) 100-page document sent to Stanford alleges a bunch of bad stuff, including claims that some of the research she used to bolster her arguments actually undermines them.

She’s also accused of sending her kids to private school, where algebra *is* taught to middle schoolers. Because she’s not an idiot.

This almost could be a made-for-TV movie.

Delaying math education for the bright and interested on behalf of others who are less bright and/or less interested is a losing logical play.

ETA - if you need an example why privates, home-school and other alternatives are taking off..........look no further.

Last edited by EDS_; 04-02-2024 at 12:08 PM..

Old 04-02-2024, 12:09 PM

50,816 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Delaying math education for the bright and interested on behalf of others are less bright and/or less interested is a losing logical play.
I agree. In our middle school gifted program, we offered math at the level the students needed. In fact, we had quite a few elementary students who would come from their schools in the morning to attend our advanced math courses. The only problem -- although not one that we had -- was that you have to have a satisfactory number of students eligible for a particular math class in order to "afford" offering that class. In many schools that would be a problem.

Old 04-02-2024, 02:48 PM

20,001 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I agree. In our middle school gifted program, we offered math at the level the students needed. In fact, we had quite a few elementary students who would come from their schools in the morning to attend our advanced math courses. The only problem -- although not one that we had -- was that you have to have a satisfactory number of students eligible for a particular math class in order to "afford" offering that class. In many schools that would be a problem.
My school system in the late 60's / early 70's (rural regional school in a town of 750, so maybe not typical) did not offer algebra until grade 9, nor do I recall middle school algebra being a "thing" for my kids in the 90's. But I think teaching it in middle school makes sense today; higher math is increasingly important. For the first time in my career I find myself wishing I knew discrete math (I never went beyond algebra and geometry in HS and have never needed it until now, as I have built line-of-business apps all my life, which gets by just fine on HS algebra). But now calculus would be handy to master AI, and I would be at a disadvantage if I needed to build ML systems at a low level.

On the other hand I have a bespoke AI that helps me occasionally with coding so there's that. Although mostly it just amuses me with the way it's clearly guessing about 2/3 of the time. It just barely justifies the $100/yr subscription fee. I suppose it will get better at some point, but it certainly doesn't live up to the hype right now.

Old 04-02-2024, 02:52 PM

43,098 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Holding back smart kids never really works out in the end.

We are NOT all the same. K-12 cannot create "drones" although they seem to be trying very, very hard to do so.

Smart kids are gonna stay smart no matter how much they try to impede their education.

Old 04-02-2024, 10:47 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,740,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Holding back smart kids never really works out in the end.

We are NOT all the same. K-12 cannot create "drones" although they seem to be trying very, very hard to do so.

Smart kids are gonna stay smart no matter how much they try to impede their education.
Every child deserves an appropriate and challenging education and that includes the bright ones as well as the average and Special Education students.

Old 04-02-2024, 10:53 PM

50,816 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Every child deserves an appropriate and challenging education and that includes the bright ones as well as the average and Special Education students.
Yes...every child. Thank you!

Old 04-03-2024, 06:23 AM

1,246 posts, read 825,089 times
I feel that taking algebra in grade 6 was the most important opportunity afforded to me in my K-12
education. Very sad to hear that it is being held until grade 9.

I think you could have a student re-take algebra or geometry doing the harder problems in the text and they'd get something out of it. I don't think the same is true for pre-algebra. Without algebraic logic, the possibilities are much more limited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education