Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 10:19 PM

835 posts, read 476,899 times

Advertisements

There’s no big mystery here, just follow the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2024, 04:07 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,700,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compSciGuy View Post
Almost all the Asians of certain demographic segments in California claim to be teaching their elementary school kids Algebra I in order to save face and keep up with the Changs and the Patels. Many of these folks would claim their kids were learning Quantum Computing and Deep Neural Networks if their peer group said others were doing the same. Meanwhile many of these groups have learned from affluent whites to try to game the system, having noticeably older kids to "give them an advantage". I knew some people that had 4 year olds in kindergarten, but there were more 8 year olds, and plenty of 7 year olds. My then 10-year old Asian kid was tasked in 5th grade to help a 15-year old 5th grader get up to speed. There is no shortage of Indian parents who mysteriously take them kid out for a year in high school with "the kid is said to be away in India", but trying to study to get into a "better school", etc. As an "Asian American" I am still searching for even a minuscule fraction of these awesome Asians, ... and granted I did see a few in top 10 universities and programs, but they were dwarfed by folks that were largely similarly to most other humans.
MIT: 20/27% Asian/White
USA: 7/71% Asian/White
And they are the only overrepresented minority demographic.

We all know that the Ivys were willing to try dumping standardized testing to try to keep their demographics from becoming ever more radically unbalanced. Now that students are beginning to sue for quantifiable discrimination, when they score high on tests but get passed over because there are already too many of their race being admitted, the schools had to try SOMETHING to stem the tide.

We just had a district math competition. 20 schools participated. For the participating grades, the top 8 students (4 per grade) all came from the same school. 6/8 were Asian. That school has the highest percentage of Asians (10%).

Denying that demographic-driven cultural focus on math is not a primary driver of academic achievement flies in the face of all the data.

I'm in the "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em." camp on this one. That's why I recommend supplemental math at home and trying to accelerate your children's math. It's a lot of work, but it's do-able.

Of course some people may not think it's worthwhile, but they are generally not the ones debating the architecture of public school math education.

Old Yesterday, 06:59 AM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post

We all know that the Ivys were willing to try dumping standardized testing to try to keep their demographics from becoming ever more radically unbalanced. Now that students are beginning to sue for quantifiable discrimination, when they score high on tests but get passed over because there are already too many of their race being admitted, the schools had to try SOMETHING to stem the tide.

We just had a district math competition. 20 schools participated. For the participating grades, the top 8 students (4 per grade) all came from the same school. 6/8 were Asian. That school has the highest percentage of Asians (10%).

Denying that demographic-driven cultural focus on math is not a primary driver of academic achievement flies in the face of all the data.

I'm in the "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em." camp on this one. That's why I recommend supplemental math at home and trying to accelerate your children's math. It's a lot of work, but it's do-able.

Of course some people may not think it's worthwhile, but they are generally not the ones debating the architecture of public school math education.
There are all kinds of great computer games with learning built into them for teaching kids.

Old Yesterday, 09:16 AM

10,557 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Reported by Wells $treet...
The articles you linked weren't available to me beyond the first paragraph or two.

Here's a link to a lengthy blog discussing Boaler that should work for everyone. It also includes many relevant links on the subject of California's controversial math ed plan.

As a retired math instructor, it strikes me as a big mistake.

https://mathematicalcrap.com/2023/03...er-the-victim/

Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM

19,792 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
The articles you linked weren't available to me beyond the first paragraph or two.

Here's a link to a lengthy blog discussing Boaler that should work for everyone. It also includes many relevant links on the subject of California's controversial math ed plan.

As a retired math instructor, it strikes me as a big mistake.

https://mathematicalcrap.com/2023/03...er-the-victim/
Thanks for the link.

It's astonishing anyone listens to a thing Boaler says at this point.

Old Today, 04:21 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,460,702 times
Quote:
and of course almost all the Asians teach their kids Algebra I at home or in cram school by no later than 5th grade.
I lived in California (more specifically the Bay Area) for a significant part of my life. I know of no single Asian that learned Algebra in elementary school. The youngest Asian I know was 9 years old (in middle school). The youngest person I knew studying Algebra was an 8 year old Caucasian.

California education is noticeably lacking, especially with statements in recent times denouncing "SAT scores", etc. and forcing their universities to be "test-blind".

The left coast cares more about things like equity, and edge cases are not supported.

Quote:

I wasn't arguing they aren't "overrepresented", ... but you are looking at extreme outlier cases and calling them "normal" which they are certainly not.

If anything this is a reflection on American society, and the immigration laws and practices in place.

I see more a desire amongst Asians to "assimilate" and "gain acceptance" and as such as time goes on, those cultural behaviors that drive/drove high academic achievement are weakened. It doesn't take much for a relatively quick "regression to the mean".

Realistically, humans are lazy, and the internal drive, motivation, discipline, etc. for individuals is at such a low level that there are not enough outliers to make a real cultural dent of actual academic interest.

Honestly, if you want real statistics of the American universities which I would consider "high achieving" that as of last year were allowing above the unofficial 24/25% Asian-American undergraduate enrollment rate, here are the schools:

MIT (US News 2)
https://facts.mit.edu/enrollment-statistics/
Undergraduate:
Asian-American 35%
White-American 31%

Caltech (US News 7)
https://registrar.caltech.edu/record...ent-statistics
Undergraduate:
Asian-American 44%
White-American 41%

Johns Hopkins (US News 9)
https://apply.jhu.edu/fast-facts/
Undergraduate:
Asian-American 29%
White-American 18%

UC Berkeley (US News 15)
https://opa.berkeley.edu/uc-berkeley...undergraduates
Undergraduate:
Asian-American 50.5%
White-American 28.4%

UCLA (US News 15)
https://www.ucla.edu/about/facts-and-figures
Undergraduate:
Asian-American 35%
White-American 26%

Rice (US News 17)
https://admission.rice.edu/apply/class-profile
Undergraduate:
Asian-American 29.6%
White-American 23.5%

Georgia Tech (US News 33)
https://irp.gatech.edu/disclosures/student-demographics
Asian-American 34%
White-American 35.2%

Cooper Union (US News – Regional North)
https://cooper.edu/admissions/facts/first-year-profile
Undergraduate:
Asian-American 31%
White-American 28%

Old Today, 07:37 AM

7,809 posts, read 3,817,548 times
Well, there's Columbia Universities' masters graduates in statistics from a few years ago:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education