Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2024, 08:48 AM

12,833 posts, read 9,029,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I also didn't know anyone upset about friends graduating first. As I mentioned earlier, this thread echoes a couple from two or three years ago except it was from the perspective of the student. Almost word for word with the rationale.
It is. Look at his post from a year ago. Almost word for word the same.

Ultimately the real issue here isn't about bar hopping or graduation. It's the same one the OP has been hitting for years now, throughout high school and now college. They don't "fit in" with their crowd and blame it on red-shirting in kindergarten rather than deal with whatever the real issue is. That's why the rest of us don't see the issue and even believe the OP was talking about bar hopping. Because we've been there and know that difference in kindergarten is such a non issue that it isn't even tripping our sensors that the OP could still be hung up on something from 18 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2024, 10:31 AM

10,708 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
It is. Look at his post from a year ago. Almost word for word the same.

Ultimately the real issue here isn't about bar hopping or graduation. It's the same one the OP has been hitting for years now, throughout high school and now college. They don't "fit in" with their crowd and blame it on red-shirting in kindergarten rather than deal with whatever the real issue is. That's why the rest of us don't see the issue and even believe the OP was talking about bar hopping. Because we've been there and know that difference in kindergarten is such a non issue that it isn't even tripping our sensors that the OP could still be hung up on something from 18 years ago.
Oh, so the OP isn't the parent as originally claimed, but is in fact the student??

Old 03-27-2024, 10:59 AM

1,852 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thtltwatw View Post
it makes no sense to think that the latter warrants sympathy, but not the former.

It makes no sense to be wallowing about either. JFC grow up.

Old 03-27-2024, 01:11 PM

12,833 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Oh, so the OP isn't the parent as originally claimed, but is in fact the student??
Let's just say over the last several years there have been a series of threads, under several user names, that are essentially the same wording about starting kindergarten too early and the same basic words about the shame of being a year behind all their classmates for every major school event --high school, graduation, starting college, bar-hopping, college graduation.

Old 03-27-2024, 02:00 PM

4,507 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Quote:
Let's just say over the last several years there have been a series of threads, under several user names, that are essentially the same wording about starting kindergarten too early and the same basic words about the shame of being a year behind all their classmates for every major school event --high school, graduation, starting college, bar-hopping, college graduation.
Boo hoo.

Time to get over it.

Old 03-27-2024, 02:35 PM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
OP has to blame society for problems.

But I can't think of anyone who thinks not being able to bar hop is a problem.

Red-shirting and bar-hopping are the OP's problems.

Old 03-27-2024, 02:55 PM

10,708 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
Now it makes sense. This sure did seem familiar. . .

Old 03-27-2024, 03:08 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
I'll be 70 late this year and 99% of my high school classmates will get there well before me.

This hasn't destroyed my life yet. I'm REAL good with it now.

Old 03-27-2024, 04:58 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
I've heard lots of people tell stories about how they or their children didn't turn 21 until halfway through their senior year, and how terrible it was to be left out and not be able to go out with their friends. However, whenever I tell people about how my son will be graduating this spring after 5 years while he had to watch all his friends graduate last spring, it gets brushed off by everyone, even those who simultaneously think that they or their kid had it rough by not being able to go to bars with their friends. I understand that there are much bigger problems in the world than social isolation. What I don't understand is why it's understandable to feel left out when your friends go to bars without you, but not when your friends graduate without you.
This is a real issue?

Lets put this in perspective: I graduated from a very highly ranked private university in my state. I couldn't tell you the phone number of a single person I graduated with. Left graduation that day and haven't seen one person that was there since.

Old 04-03-2024, 09:37 AM

835 posts, read 474,708 times
Quote:
I'm not comparing being left out of graduation to third world problems; I'm only comparing it to being left out of bar-hopping. I can understand not having sympathy for people in either situation, but it makes no sense to think that the latter warrants sympathy, but not the former.
What makes sense is probably focusing on more pressing issues, for example, anything else in existence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education