Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2024, 04:07 PM

7,324 posts, read 4,118,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
This is a more detailed analysis of college majors.

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/...t23_322.10.asp
Legal professions and studies - I looked up that major - less than forty colleges offer an undergraduate degree legal professions which includes training paralegals. https://blog.collegevine.com/us-coll...-studies-major

For the VAST majority of lawyers:

Quote:
According to the ABA, traditional majors for law school applicants include history, English, philosophy, political science, economics and business. All of these areas of study can help students develop mastery in the key areas the ABA suggests future law students cultivate. However, undergraduates have many other valid options for law school preparation, and the ABA encourages learners to follow any course of study that they feel passionate about.

Below we list 13 common undergraduate majors for students who apply to J.D. programs
.https://www.forbes.com/advisor/educa...re-law-majors/

When I went to college back in the 1970's, NJ colleges offered a education minor. This allowed you to be a certified teacher. Nowadays, many teachers major in a subject (French, English, Math etc) and go on to grad school for a MA in Teaching or MA in Education.

As for library science undergrad majors -

Quote:
A master's degree in library science (MLS), preferably from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited program, is necessary for most librarian positions in most public, academic, and special libraries. School librarians may not need an MLS but must meet state teaching requirements.

Choosing an ALA-Accredited Program

The vast majority of employers require an ALA-accredited master’s degree for professional positions in libraries. Graduating from an ALA-accredited program enhances career mobility and provides greater flexibility. ALA-accredited master’s programs can be found at colleges and universities in the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico.
https://www.ala.org/educationcareers...20requirements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2024, 04:45 PM

4,511 posts, read 2,656,277 times
Quote:

Yes! Actual Data! Data you can analyze, understand trends, etc. Like you're supposed to be able to, but the clickbait never provide you!

Old 03-15-2024, 07:42 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
They provide more information than anecdotal comments from posters.
Actually they are worse than opinions. They provide the illusion of information. At least opinions are recognized as such. Poor charts provide an appearance of information that isn't there. See bad data visualization for more background.

Quote:

Thank you. At least data than can be analyzed.

Old 03-15-2024, 10:10 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Actually they are worse than opinions. They provide the illusion of information. At least opinions are recognized as such. Poor charts provide an appearance of information that isn't there. See bad data visualization for more background.

Thank you. At least data than can be analyzed.
From now on when you go on one of your anti-public education rants, I'm going to challenge you to provide clear and comprehensive data to support your venom.

Last edited by phetaroi; 03-15-2024 at 10:25 PM..

Old 03-15-2024, 11:19 PM

206 posts, read 134,627 times
Quote:
I understand that. But the point of the thread is some data...not some opinion. ...
You consider bestcolleges.COM data?

Hint:... they have a agenda

Old 03-16-2024, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartNox18 View Post
You consider bestcolleges.COM data?

Hint:... they have a agenda
It was a starting point of a discussion.

What data have you added to the discussion?

None.

Old 03-16-2024, 07:12 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,807,833 times
Quote:
Well, when they did the "Social Sciences & History" they managed to lump salary for "all life, physical and social sciences" together. By adding in "all life and physical sciences" they've made the salary data meaningless for social sciences.

The NCES charts aren't much better by what they lumped together. Perhaps the raw data is better, but these charts don't provide much information.
They should have called it "Liberal Arts" rather than "Social Sciences & History" to be more accurate. But even then it's a wide range of degrees.... but so is "Business" and "Health Professionals".

Old 03-16-2024, 08:07 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
Quote:
From now on when you go on one of your anti-public education rants, I'm going to challenge you to provide clear and comprehensive data to support your venom.
Could you define what you consider an "anti-public education" rant? I disagree with you on many things, but that doesn't mean anti public education. It means I see problems and concerns that need to be addressed, not swept under the table and ignored.

When have I used "venom" in my comments? Disagreement is not venom.

Old 03-16-2024, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Could you define what you consider an "anti-public education" rant? I disagree with you on many things, but that doesn't mean anti public education. It means I see problems and concerns that need to be addressed, not swept under the table and ignored.

When have I used "venom" in my comments? Disagreement is not venom.
Maybe the problem is that you don't consider how other posters may perceive you...particularly after you have hit a nerve (so to speak). Let's face it, when one goes on almost any forum the environment is often chock full of insensitivity.

Old 03-16-2024, 10:30 AM

7,324 posts, read 4,118,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
They should have called it "Liberal Arts" rather than "Social Sciences & History" to be more accurate. But even then it's a wide range of degrees.... but so is "Business" and "Health Professionals".
You're right. These categories are so wide/large as to be unless.

"Health Professionals" majors include anywhere from pre-med to registered nurses, hospital administrators, and paramedicals. Each profession has vastly different salary expectations. https://www.indeed.com/career-advice...chelors-degree

The question of numbers of graduates in each discipline is not same as the number of employed/successful/happy people. Many people who change course once they graduate college and find meaningful work in other areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education