Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2024, 09:17 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
PE has expanded to include what are called "Lifetime Sports" or "Skills" that encompass more than the traditional calisthenics and physical fitness (running). That actually started, at least at the college level, back when I attended fifty years ago. I remember Archery, Bowling, Badminton, Tennis, a couple or three levels of Swimming as well as "traditional" PE areas like weightlifting and General Physical Fitness.

I'm guessing your Medieval Literature isn't really an elective (unless someone just wants to take it) but an upper level requirement for Lit majors. Just like Constitutional Theory or International Economic Theory was for me.
Uh, it's a joke reference to Sean Connery's character in Indiana Jones "He's a professor of Medieval Literature. The one the students hope they don't get."

Seriously though, most programs have a series of electives to pick from that have little use to most people. That's why the joke. Though the class on Sex in the Cinema with Lab might get a lot of students to sign up. (Yes, a real upper division class.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2024, 12:11 PM

2,273 posts, read 1,667,073 times
DH had a rugged STEM degree program (before they called it STEM). I always thought it was funny that his language requirement was satisfied by his FORTRAN course way back then.

However, he did have some electives and we took a couple of Fine Arts classes together on Medieval and Renaissance architecture and paintings. The professor was quite famous.

Turned out to be really helpful and added to our appreciation on our trips to Europe. A four year university education should be more than just a trade school but also expand your knowledge in general.

Old 03-04-2024, 01:46 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,651,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Yes, but after 70 hours, I had all necessary core classes to teach. Why have to take another 50 that I did not need just to make some school rich? I took them, but I was able to pay out of pocket. Many young people cannot afford the unneeded classes.

If I can ask Teach what ?

Old 03-04-2024, 04:32 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
DH had a rugged STEM degree program (before they called it STEM). I always thought it was funny that his language requirement was satisfied by his FORTRAN course way back then.
The standard joke way back when I was in college (also before it was called STEM) was that ...

All engineers have to take two foreign languages. One of them is English. The other is FORTRAN

Old 03-04-2024, 04:38 PM

506 posts, read 259,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
The standard joke way back when I was in college (also before it was called STEM) was that ...

All engineers have to take two foreign languages. One of them is English. The other is FORTRAN
Yeah, I heard that also.

I taught myself FORTRAN and simply tested for credit. And the dean allowed me to take 20 hours of German in lieu of 10 hours of English Lit. For me well worth the extra 10 hours.

I had taken four years of Latin in high school, so for me English lit had no appeal at all.

Old 03-04-2024, 08:26 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,112,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Wait a minute. You went to college in retirement to pick up a teaching certificate or degree? Didn't you already have a BA from earlier in life? If so, your gen-ed courses from back then would apply toward the new BA, so all you should have had to take were the specialized courses, those 70 credits, or thereabouts. Who was advising you? Did you see an academic adviser?
Was drafted straight out of high school. Opened a business soon after and never had a chance for college. Taking are of my family was more important.

Old 03-04-2024, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
If I can ask Teach what ?
I subbed in English and Sociology classes. I am now a published author and finally retired again. This time because of some health problems.

Old 03-05-2024, 09:38 AM

30,617 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Quote:
No it isn't. Most colleges offer crap classes just to fill out the schedule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
It is up to you to not choose crap classes, even if they are options.

I see your point Pitt Chick, but the very fact that you can fill your schedule--post core courses--with "crap" classes makes me question whether the remaining credit hours should be a requirement. There's too much wiggle room, IMO. From where I stand, these other courses, while they may be useful to many, largely serve as a way for colleges and universities to extend their gravy train. I'd be OK with the core classes being all that's required to obtain employment in your intended/related field of work, while also giving others the option to pay to continue taking additional classes if they want.

Old 03-06-2024, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I see your point Pitt Chick, but the very fact that you can fill your schedule--post core courses--with "crap" classes makes me question whether the remaining credit hours should be a requirement. There's too much wiggle room, IMO. From where I stand, these other courses, while they may be useful to many, largely serve as a way for colleges and universities to extend their gravy train. I'd be OK with the core classes being all that's required to obtain employment in your intended/related field of work, while also giving others the option to pay to continue taking additional classes if they want.
My point exactly. My college Algebra teacher commented that 95% of students, even ones who became teachers, would never use Algebra. And many students had to take it twice to pass.

Old 03-06-2024, 02:03 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
My point exactly. My college Algebra teacher commented that 95% of students, even ones who became teachers, would never use Algebra. And many students had to take it twice to pass.
To me, Algebra would be one of the crap classes.
Seriously.
Algebra is taught in the ninth grade here... there is NO WAY it should be a college course!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education