Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2022, 10:30 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,133,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
On Nextdoor, somebody once suggested that people with a dog have their dog relieve itself on the owner's property first, then take it for a walk. Is there a reason dog owners can't do that? Or is it that they just don't care about their dog doing its business on other people's property, and the urine killing somebody else's plants, grass, etc., or that the urine and/or BM are on the grass where people's kids play? I bring this up in the L.A. forum because it seems as though more people now than ever in this city have a dog, and many of them walk their dog twice a day, seven days a week.
I don't do many neighborhood dog walks but when I do, I always scoop my dog's poop. My dog gets walked on mountain trails every day & I pick up her poop there too, especially popular trails, all though it does seem kind of strange to be stepping over horse piles, walking through scattered deer poop pellets & dodging bear & mountain lion scat, just to pick up a dog turd, lol but ... I want people to keep their dog's poop out of my way on a trail, so I do it for them.

I don't always pick it up off trail in remote areas, especially since my dog has an affinity for pooping on prickly pear cactuses (lol) & sometimes remote areas don't have waste receptacles at the trail heads. Nothing's more annoying than seeing plastic bags full of poop lining an otherwise beautiful trail, because dog owners have nowhere to dispose of them (or don't remember to grab it on their way back). The poop is biodegradable but that plastic will outlive me.

I actually prefer it if my dog goes potty in my yard before we go out. Easier to clean up after & less interruptions while hiking. I think my dog prefers trail hiking to neighborhood walks too. I couldn't imagine subjecting her paws to hot concrete & asphalt & we both dislike cars whizzing by & exhaust fumes, yuck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM

4,045 posts, read 2,733,570 times
I had come to this forum to ask folks' thoughts on this, and found this thread, so resurrecting it, if that's okay.

When I was growing up, I don't remember it being considered a big deal if somebody's dog peed or pooped in your yard (providing, of course, the second was cleaned up by the owner.)

I'm in my 50's, and I still don't think it's a big deal if somebody's dog pees or poops in my yard (again, presuming they clean up the poop.) I figure dogs are just simply animals, they go when they gotta go, and they don't get the concept of 'somebody else's yard'.

I have dogs, I walk them, and I pick up after them. Many of my neighbors do as well. I didn't think it was a big deal, because, again, this is how it's been ever since I was a kid. But those of us with dogs have encountered a few neighbors who seem to think walking a dog around a neighborhood is completely unreasonable and uncalled for, which, to be honest, seems....weird. I guess I always thought of dog-walking as a great icebreaker/way to meet the neighbors (which certainly was the case for me after I got my dogs.) I can't speak for the other dog owners and their dogs, but I get the impression that my dogs are well-liked (the kids in my neighborhood love them and always want to pet them, and several other neighbors have offered to walk them/let them out during the day for me if I ever need.) I bring this up to emphasize that I figured I'd worked on having a good relationship with my neighbors in regards to my dogs.

I do realize that not everybody likes/is comfortable with dogs, so I try to keep them away from people we don't know unless I get cues that meeting the dogs would be welcome. Again, I don't know what the other dog owners are doing, but from what I've seen, they're doing the same.

So are we crazy to think it's perfectly normal for people to walk their dogs around the neighborhood, or is it the new thing that people shouldn't be doing that?

Last edited by Indigo Cardinal; Yesterday at 05:08 PM..

Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM

23,438 posts, read 19,071,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
I had come to this forum to ask folks' thoughts on this, and found this thread, so resurrecting it, if that's okay.

When I was growing up, I don't remember it being considered a big deal if somebody's dog peed or pooped in your yard (providing, of course, the second was cleaned up by the owner.)

I'm in my 50's, and I still don't think it's a big deal if somebody's dog pees or poops in my yard (again, presuming they clean up the poop.) I figure dogs are just simply animals, they go when they gotta go, and they don't get the concept of 'somebody else's yard'.

I have dogs, I walk them, and I pick up after them. Many of my neighbors do as well. I didn't think it was a big deal, because, again, this is how it's been ever since I was a kid. But those of us with dogs have encountered a few neighbors who seem to think walking a dog around a neighborhood is completely unreasonable and uncalled for, which, to be honest, seems....weird. I guess I always thought of dog-walking as a great icebreaker/way to meet the neighbors (which certainly was the case for me after I got my dogs.) I can't speak for the other dog owners and their dogs, but I get the impression that my dogs are well-liked (the kids in my neighborhood love them and always want to pet them, and several other neighbors have offered to walk them/let them out during the day for me if I ever need.) I bring this up to emphasize that I figured I'd worked on having a good relationship with my neighbors in regards to my dogs.

I do realize that not everybody likes/is comfortable with dogs, so I try to keep them away from people we don't know unless I get cues that meeting the dogs would be welcome. Again, I don't know what the other dog owners are doing, but from what I've seen, they're doing the same.

So are we crazy to think it's perfectly normal for people to walk their dogs around the neighborhood, or is it the new thing that people shouldn't be doing that?
You're certainly not wrong. People who respect others manage their dogs as you do. Problem is, there are lots of entitled people in this world who behave as if everyone else owes them something. They ruin public places for everyone else. Their population seems to be increasing.

Last edited by Parnassia; Yesterday at 06:48 PM..

Old Today, 03:54 AM

27,335 posts, read 13,597,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Just this morning there was another large dog poop on the corner of our property hidden by a stand of trees and from our view. We clean up after our dog always, even going back if we forgot to refill the poo bags.

We saw a couple let their dog poop in our yard last year and walk off, never attempting to pick it up. Foolishly but quite satisfyingly, DH picked it up in a bag and caught up with them and handed them the bag. We’ve never seen them again. . Most of the time we are left cleaning up anonymous dogs messes.

I finally gave in and ordered a sign to stick in the ground on the corner. It reads:
“If your dog poops here leave your address so my dog can poop in your yard. “

I expect this will not deter the type of people who don’t pick up after their dogs, but it may help those who still have a little conscience left.

Not cleaning up after yor dog or not carrying the means to pick up, in relation to dog waste bags can be criminal offence in many European countries and this is especially true in areas that have invoked Public Space Protection Order (PSPO) or in other public areas including those used by children.

What generally happens if that you are given a fix penalty notice by enforcement officers or the police, if you don't pay that then it goes to Court and you have further financial charges added, and if you don't pay that, then the Court just refers the case to the bailiffs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs