Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2022, 06:16 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,374,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
That's a lot of dogs at once. Why so many?
I had homes lined up for Every pup and then some. Then the recession hit. Pups grow up become dogs & for 3 years I was over supplied... Now with dogs Everyone wanted pups.... No Win. All the breeders I knew including Show breeders. Rescues were packed. So I kept mine. I brought them into the world & I loved them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2022, 11:47 PM

30,415 posts, read 52,044,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
You can exercise them in your own yard. Sure, dogs sometimes go more than once, but usually it is only one time in the morning and one time later in the day. They have habits, just as people do.
Dogs need to walk/travel. It’s in their nature, especially for working dogs like Huskies and German Shepherds (the two breeds I happen to have). Exercising them in a yard won’t be enough for most dogs, aside from maybe the most lazy and/or elderly among them. If that’s all you give your dog, I’d say you weren’t a very responsible owner - you meaning in general, not YOU specifically.

Old 05-11-2022, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Maybe you should read the results of that search. The one from CDC says it’s passed from HUMAN to HUMAN via HUMAN feces; and that with modern disease prevention and sanitation, the cases are dropping every year.

Old 05-11-2022, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I had homes lined up for Every pup and then some. Then the recession hit. Pups grow up become dogs & for 3 years I was over supplied... Now with dogs Everyone wanted pups.... No Win. All the breeders I knew including Show breeders. Rescues were packed. So I kept mine. I brought them into the world & I loved them!
You’d think at some point you would have stopped breeding. It takes more than a litter or two to reach 30+ dogs, unless you’re running a puppy mill or something.

Old 05-12-2022, 10:25 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,740,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Dogs need to walk/travel. It’s in their nature, especially for working dogs like Huskies and German Shepherds (the two breeds I happen to have). Exercising them in a yard won’t be enough for most dogs, aside from maybe the most lazy and/or elderly among them. If that’s all you give your dog, I’d say you weren’t a very responsible owner - you meaning in general, not YOU specifically.
Then poop them in your yard first and bring a bag in case they go again on the walk.

It ain’t brain surgery. Prevent it happening elsewhere, and also bring something for the times it does happen elsewhere. That is very different from the owners who walk dogs to deliberately crap them somewhere else. The accumulated residues from literally hundreds of poops per day in one small area do stink even if the owners pick up. Hundreds per day vs if every owner FIRST crapped them in their own yard would make a big reduction in stink.

A nearby neighborhood known for being overrun by dogs and idiot owners literally stank from a distance, and it wasn’t just the left-there poop that caused it. If you doused an area with beer and dropped stinky soft cheeses on the ground, it would still stink from both substances even if you picked up the cheese.

We used to live where someone walked three dogs three times a day, and they let the dogs roam/poop into neighbors’ yards despite there being a leash law. There were others who walked one or two dogs twice daily in the same area, as well as others who made it one of their regular poop routes. That added up to a lot of pee and poop. Some beautiful gardens tended by volunteers were a fave of a big dog with big poop and lots of pee. The owner had been approached but did nothing to prevent it.

Some owners are just AHOs.

Old 05-12-2022, 10:58 AM

20,771 posts, read 20,035,883 times
Quote:
You’d think at some point you would have stopped breeding. It takes more than a litter or two to reach 30+ dogs, unless you’re running a puppy mill or something.
I second this.

Old 05-12-2022, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Then poop them in your yard first and bring a bag in case they go again on the walk.

It ain’t brain surgery. Prevent it happening elsewhere, and also bring something for the times it does happen elsewhere. That is very different from the owners who walk dogs to deliberately crap them somewhere else. The accumulated residues from literally hundreds of poops per day in one small area do stink even if the owners pick up. Hundreds per day vs if every owner FIRST crapped them in their own yard would make a big reduction in stink.

Some owners are just AHOs.
I never said to just let them poop and NOT pick it up, for goodness sakes! I was literally just responding to your comment about "letting them exercise in the yard." I live in the woods/mountains, anyway - not the city or suburbs. So mine usually do just poop on our property, or at the local parks (where I pick it up). I can't walk much around our neighborhood, since it's a steep and dangerous road even for driving. Not to mention the coyotes and cougars, since I mostly walk them at night.

And when I did live in more urban areas, of course I always carried doggie bags with me (still do). Again, I was just replying to your idea of having them ONLY exercise or walk in your own yard. What if you don't even have a yard? My dog lived in apartments with me for like 10 years of his life, so that wasn't exactly an option.

Old 05-12-2022, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I second this.
Yeah... the only non-shelter folks with 30+ dogs at a time are BYBs/Puppy Mills or hoarders. A responsible breeder (which is debatable to begin with) would never have that many at a time. If one litter didn't sell, they would stop breeding until the "market" picked up again.

Old 05-13-2022, 05:11 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,374,798 times
Quote:
Duh I did stop breeding & slowly re-home into homes where they were fixed. Not just those pups but older adults. HAHAHA you don't have a clue about how many pups dogs can have in a litter!! My Collies had adv of 10 pups per litter! Shelties had 6 per litter & cockers 4 per litter adv. And enough adults for the girl to have pups on ever 3rd heat. Meaning they have litter than skip 2 heats. Before the next litter. Retired & spay around their 7th birthday... so about 3-4 litters in their whole life. Then they were training & showing in Obedience Agility Tracking And Horseback riding!!

Old 05-17-2022, 10:04 AM

555 posts, read 1,074,528 times
I walk my dog every day. She will pee in our yard, but will very rarely poop here. She rarely poops in anyone's yard, but does so more in common areas. I always bring a bag and pick up her poop. Pee is a different issue altogether. While she will pee in our yard, including sometimes before we take our walk, she also pees many times along the way. Like if we walk a mile, she will probably pee 10 times. I try to get her not to pee in anyone's yard, but she is hard headed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs