Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2024, 08:51 PM

26,493 posts, read 46,874,270 times

Advertisements

I've been going with a modified Paleo/Keto and very strict Gluten Free along with no Soy diet for over 15 years. The high protein and low carb approach has resulted in little in the way of hunger between meals and never any "starving got to eat now" scenarios back when I was consuming wheat. It tricks your brain into thinking you're hungry all the time along with blood sugar spikes. There is a reason why the term "wheat belly" exists.
My highest weight was close to 180 back in 2005-06. Current weight is between 150-155 for the last 15 years with no very minimal fluctuations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2024, 07:20 PM

658 posts, read 798,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
Why 225, what's your height? As long as I feel fine (have energy) I'd allow my body to continue to lose weight. When you reach an unhealthy point (too little body fat) you will know it. No energy, no motivation.
I’m 5’11”. I’m targeting 225 simply because I remember that I felt great at this weight back in my college days. I am unsure if 225 is my final goal, but it certainly has been since I started carnivore. I understand that BMI index chart says someone my height should be around 170 pounds, but that is simply too little weight for me based on my body type. We’ll see… I may go to 210 or maybe even 200, all depends how I feel at each weight. Thanks for your kind words!

Old 03-13-2024, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Some people feel more comfortable with a few extra pounds. Some people feel more comfortable on the thinner side. According to "the charts" I'm supposed to weigh anywhere between 101 and 137 pounds. The last time I went below 130, I felt horrible. Weak, tired all the time, slightly out of kilter mentally and emotionally. I'd lost a lot of weight quickly and didn't know why, since nothing had changed in my diet or exercise routine. I was at 122 when I checked with my doctor about it. He said everything appeared to be fine, but if I went below 120 to call him and he'd refer me to an endocrinologist who worked out of the local hospital. That was 30 years ago. I went back up to 140, and felt great after that. Fast forward another 20 years and I've crept up around 20 more pounds.

But at my age, it's better to have a few too many, than a few too little. So if I can lose 15 pounds and get down between 145 and 155, I'll be more at ease with my weight, my sense of self, body image, and energy level.

I'm only 5'2". But I'm an endomorph - my body is built to be softer and curvier, rather than lean or muscular.
Thank you for your insightful comments. Like you, I am an endomorph as well. I am built to carry weight on me.

Old 03-13-2024, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Great news, keep going!!

I'm trying Ketovore combining Carnivore and Keto.
Thank you!! My wife is doing ketovore. She’s lost 15 pounds already and feels great!! Wishing you the absolute best on your weight-loss journey!!

Old 03-13-2024, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I've been going with a modified Paleo/Keto and very strict Gluten Free along with no Soy diet for over 15 years. The high protein and low carb approach has resulted in little in the way of hunger between meals and never any "starving got to eat now" scenarios back when I was consuming wheat. It tricks your brain into thinking you're hungry all the time along with blood sugar spikes. There is a reason why the term "wheat belly" exists.
My highest weight was close to 180 back in 2005-06. Current weight is between 150-155 for the last 15 years with no very minimal fluctuations.
Thank you for sharing your experience here… This is one of the surprising things I’ve experienced with carnivore, the lack of hunger. I honestly don’t get hungry, and most days I eat simply because I’ve been fasting over 16 hours. Carnivore allows me to eat all the meat I want during an 8-hour period, but since the beginning, I’ve basically had one meal each day. I don’t feel hungry and continue to lose weight.

Also, I’ve recently started using Allulose as a sweetener for coffee. I had given up coffee because I am avoiding sugar, but Allulose is a natural sweetener with no after-taste, and according to researchers and scientists, is actually good for us. So I’m now enjoying my cup of coffee each morning again,

Old 03-13-2024, 08:23 PM

3,553 posts, read 2,552,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeros318 View Post
Thank you for your insightful comments. Like you, I am an endomorph as well. I am built to carry weight on me.
It's still no excuse to be obese. Obesity is an unhealthy state to be in. I'm technically "obese". If I lose 10 pounds I'll cease to be "obese", and be solidly in the "overweight" category. I'm more comfortable being overweight, but I'm not comfortable being obese.

I've been eating more salads lately, less bread, and now that the weather's walkable, I'm walking every day. I have to be careful going out because I also have skin cancer on my face, and you can't cover radiation treatment spots with sunscreen because it interferes with the treatment.

Work in progress, as always. I've lost two pounds in the past few weeks. It took me more than a year to gain 10 pounds, so I'm okay taking my time to lose it.

Old 03-13-2024, 08:42 PM

3,553 posts, read 2,552,766 times
Quote:
Thank you for sharing your experience here… This is one of the surprising things I’ve experienced with carnivore, the lack of hunger. I honestly don’t get hungry, and most days I eat simply because I’ve been fasting over 16 hours. Carnivore allows me to eat all the meat I want during an 8-hour period, but since the beginning, I’ve basically had one meal each day. I don’t feel hungry and continue to lose weight.

Also, I’ve recently started using Allulose as a sweetener for coffee. I had given up coffee because I am avoiding sugar, but Allulose is a natural sweetener with no after-taste, and according to researchers and scientists, is actually good for us. So I’m now enjoying my cup of coffee each morning again,
Allulose isn't a "natural" sweetener. It is naturally derived, but what you buy in stores or in prepared foods exists because a chemical company separated it out from fructose. With chemicals.

Allulose can cause loose bowels and gas. It's lower in calories and carbs, but at only 19 calories per teaspoon of sugar, who cares? Plus, because it's only 70% as sweet as sugar, you'll need more of it to get the same sweetness of sugar. It's only a healthy alternative to sugar if you have high blood sugar. If you don't have high blood sugar, then no - it's not "healthy."

Old 03-13-2024, 08:48 PM

3,558 posts, read 1,553,335 times
Quote:
I’m 5’11”. I’m targeting 225 simply because I remember that I felt great at this weight back in my college days. I am unsure if 225 is my final goal, but it certainly has been since I started carnivore. I understand that BMI index chart says someone my height should be around 170 pounds, but that is simply too little weight for me based on my body type. We’ll see… I may go to 210 or maybe even 200, all depends how I feel at each weight. Thanks for your kind words!
At 5'11, if you have a wider frame, your ideal weight would be 180lbs, and if you had a smaller frame, it would be 160lbs. Depends on your muscle mass though, are you more muscular than the average guy? Anyways, 220lbs is fine if you feel good there, but you probably still have a lot of fat to lose, so I wouldn't worry about it if you get under it.

Old 03-15-2024, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Allulose isn't a "natural" sweetener. It is naturally derived, but what you buy in stores or in prepared foods exists because a chemical company separated it out from fructose. With chemicals.

Allulose can cause loose bowels and gas. It's lower in calories and carbs, but at only 19 calories per teaspoon of sugar, who cares? Plus, because it's only 70% as sweet as sugar, you'll need more of it to get the same sweetness of sugar. It's only a healthy alternative to sugar if you have high blood sugar. If you don't have high blood sugar, then no - it's not "healthy."
Got it! I take it because I was knocking on the door of diabetes when I started my weight loss. I love my morning coffee but had to quit drinking it to avoid the sugar. Allulose has worked for me so far by allowing me to enjoy my morning coffee without the effects of sugar. It also hasn’t caused any issues with my carnivore diet and I’m still dropping pounds. Thanks for your comments!

Old 03-15-2024, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
At 5'11, if you have a wider frame, your ideal weight would be 180lbs, and if you had a smaller frame, it would be 160lbs. Depends on your muscle mass though, are you more muscular than the average guy? Anyways, 220lbs is fine if you feel good there, but you probably still have a lot of fat to lose, so I wouldn't worry about it if you get under it.
Yes, I have a good amount of muscle on me. 225 is just my goal, but it’s quite likely that I’ll continue past that number. We’ll see how I feel as I go. I don’t plan to drop below 200 though. Just want to make sure I feel good physically and mentally wherever I end up stopping. Thanks again!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss