Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2023, 08:45 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
So, today p, all I had was a bowl of bran flakes with strawberries and banana for breakfast, one piece of whole grain bread with a few slices of deli ham, and brown rice and pink beans for dinner. Walked for two hours today in one shot. My longest yet. Thank goodness it is about 30 degrees and freezing. I can walk for 6 hours in this weather. I hate walking when it’s hot out. I’m done with bagels and white anything (bread, rice, etc). Went to the store and bought apples, green grapes, broccoli, acorn squash oranges, etc.

I made food for the week. More brown rice with those beans (I don’t like Spanish type dishes but I will deal with it), chicken and broccoli and baked chicken cutlets. I am changing my eating for now to see if eating far less carbs makes a difference.
So you had a bowl of carbs with carbs and carbs for breakfast, a piece of whole grain carbs with a few slices of overprocessed sodium, and carbs with a carb-protein blast for dinner.

You went to the store and bought carbs, carbs, broccoli, squash, carbs, etc.

If that is what you mean by "eating far less carbs" then - you need to start from scratch. First, look up the definition of carbs. Then, seek out a list of foods that fall into the "carbs" category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2023, 11:15 PM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
So you had a bowl of carbs with carbs and carbs for breakfast, a piece of whole grain carbs with a few slices of overprocessed sodium, and carbs with a carb-protein blast for dinner.

If that is what you mean by "eating far less carbs" then - you need to start from scratch. First, look up the definition of carbs. Then, seek out a list of foods that fall into the "carbs" category.
Actually, the calories in broccoli and squash are all from carbs, too, so you don't need to list them by name.

While I think broccoli is a better choice than white bread, OP, you would probably benefit from some quality protein and fat, like a fresh chicken thigh instead of a cutlet (which I picture covered in breadcrumbs and loaded with preservatives... and possibly fried in "vegetable oil", which is actually bleached and chemically processed seed oil).

You seem to believe deeply in the all-carb-no-fat-diet, but it isn't working for you, and you should try something seriously different, not just substitute one processed carb for another.

Old 03-20-2023, 06:44 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,354,109 times
Everyone has their own opinions. I read a book on Saturday and it said to eat acorn squash, chicken, cabbage, etc, all the things I bought. No matter what I eat, I guarantee you that someone else is going to refute it even though so called experts tell us to eat them.

Here is what I know, the carbs I am eating now are easily only 25% of what I was eating up until a month ago. And BTW, eating all of those carbs has kept me in a few lb range for the past 15 years. That said, even if I did not change one thing about the way I eat, I should be losing something by walking 1.5 - 2 hours every day. I was not doing that before so those are calories that were not being burned off earlier last month. I weighed myself again last night and I am now 193. So, after three full weeks of walking that far, sometimes twice a day, eating 75% less carbs and far more fruit and vegetables than I was before, I lost exactly ONE lb. Now, if I just sat on my butt every day and did nothing, ate 75% more carbs than I have been eating, I would weigh the same 194 as I did when I started. Something is not right. It is my body. Even those of you who say I am eating too many carbs, even though most are natural vegetable carbs, It is a fraction of what I was eating.

And when I say chicken cutlets, no, I do not fry them in oil. I mentioned a backed them and I used the smallest amount of olive oil. It as less than a tsp that I rubbed on the pan to avoid it from sticking. Anyone else that changed their eating and exercise habits like I have done would have lost far more weight. It takes a lot of effort to go out and walk for 2 hours when it is far easier to just sit and watch tv or do something else. My body was maintaining a weight of 190-193 for 15 years no matter how many carbs or cookies I ate and doing minimal walking. How am I not losing weight by cutting back so much and walking so much. It is as if none of it matters. I will be this weight no matter what.

If by the end of the month I am do not notice a difference, I will give up. My body wants to stay at this weight, and has for 15 years. I have not gained more than 3 lbs over the years by eating tons of carbs so they obviously have very little effect on me. I just have to face that this is due to genetics. I guess I can't fight that.

Old 03-20-2023, 06:49 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Have you talked to your doctor or a dietician at all about your plans? Walking and moving your body is good for you, but it's not what's going to drop pounds. Do it because it's good for your heart, your muscles, your stamina, your stress levels, etc. And don't give up your new-found behaviors. They're healthy for you overall, whether or not you're losing weight. Your body changes over time, and that's okay.

Old 03-20-2023, 07:47 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
Quote:
So, today p, all I had was a bowl of bran flakes with strawberries and banana for breakfast, one piece of whole grain bread with a few slices of deli ham, and brown rice and pink beans for dinner. Walked for two hours today in one shot. My longest yet. Thank goodness it is about 30 degrees and freezing. I can walk for 6 hours in this weather. I hate walking when it’s hot out. I’m done with bagels and white anything (bread, rice, etc). Went to the store and bought apples, green grapes, broccoli, acorn squash oranges, etc.

I made food for the week. More brown rice with those beans (I don’t like Spanish type dishes but I will deal with it), chicken and broccoli and baked chicken cutlets. I am changing my eating for now to see if eating far less carbs makes a difference.

Cereal (of any type) has never held me over for long even when I was a little kid. I tried fruit and yogurt for breakfast, but that didn't work for me either. I may have a food intolerance.

I eat vegetables without worrying about them as carbs and that works out fine for me. I eat more of the lower glycemic vegetables. They hold me over longer than bread ever did. We only ate rice as boxed RiceARoni when I was growing up so rice has never been a staple for me. I think a serving of rice is a half cup. If you want it in your diet, just be aware of portion size.

You're going to have to experiment with what works for you. You'll figure out soon if you can sustain this way of eating or if you need to change it up more.

Old 03-20-2023, 08:33 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,354,109 times
Thanks. I am trying everything that seemed like it was smarter than I was already doing, which was eating unlimited carbs. Unfortunately, that is the only thing that really worked. It would still work if I did not add any fats but I dont want to live on strictly carbs anymore. It is discouraging as hell to go nearly a full month and lose 1 frigging pound after sacrificing all of the other foods (like not eating birthday cake or any cookies or sweets. I am not big into them anyway but I cut them out completely and it had no benefit to me at all. I will give up though if I don't lose weight. It is not ok with me the way I look. I don't like looking bloated and going up another pant size does not solve anything other than me growing into a larger pant size. I will not look into an mirror or window of any store if I can avoid it. I am totally repulsed.

Old 03-20-2023, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Everyone has their own opinions. I read a book on Saturday and it said to eat acorn squash, chicken, cabbage, etc, all the things I bought. No matter what I eat, I guarantee you that someone else is going to refute it even though so called experts tell us to eat them.

Here is what I know, the carbs I am eating now are easily only 25% of what I was eating up until a month ago. And BTW, eating all of those carbs has kept me in a few lb range for the past 15 years. That said, even if I did not change one thing about the way I eat, I should be losing something by walking 1.5 - 2 hours every day. I was not doing that before so those are calories that were not being burned off earlier last month. I weighed myself again last night and I am now 193. So, after three full weeks of walking that far, sometimes twice a day, eating 75% less carbs and far more fruit and vegetables than I was before, I lost exactly ONE lb. Now, if I just sat on my butt every day and did nothing, ate 75% more carbs than I have been eating, I would weigh the same 194 as I did when I started. Something is not right. It is my body. Even those of you who say I am eating too many carbs, even though most are natural vegetable carbs, It is a fraction of what I was eating.

And when I say chicken cutlets, no, I do not fry them in oil. I mentioned a backed them and I used the smallest amount of olive oil. It as less than a tsp that I rubbed on the pan to avoid it from sticking. Anyone else that changed their eating and exercise habits like I have done would have lost far more weight. It takes a lot of effort to go out and walk for 2 hours when it is far easier to just sit and watch tv or do something else. My body was maintaining a weight of 190-193 for 15 years no matter how many carbs or cookies I ate and doing minimal walking. How am I not losing weight by cutting back so much and walking so much. It is as if none of it matters. I will be this weight no matter what.

If by the end of the month I am do not notice a difference, I will give up. My body wants to stay at this weight, and has for 15 years. I have not gained more than 3 lbs over the years by eating tons of carbs so they obviously have very little effect on me. I just have to face that this is due to genetics. I guess I can't fight that.

And your opinion is that what you're doing isn't giving you the results you want.

There are lots of books, not all are helpful to everyone. Maybe try reading a different one.

Old 03-20-2023, 12:51 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,401,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post

Why are people still so afraid of carbs? It's not like he's eating bad carbs... Those are all healthy foods... At the end of the day, it's calories in, calories out.

Old 03-20-2023, 01:26 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
I just wonder if there are food insensitivities or food irritations going on. If so, even eating "healthy" food can get clogged up and fouled up in one's body, to where it is neither used, nor excreted.

I'd start searching around on YouTube for info. There's a huge wealth of food and health information available.

Old 03-20-2023, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Why are people still so afraid of carbs? It's not like he's eating bad carbs... Those are all healthy foods... At the end of the day, it's calories in, calories out.
So if you ate 2000 calories a day of ice cream, your health would be the same as if you ate 2000 calories a day of fish and broccoli?

You should write a diet book, The Ice Cream Diet would be wildly popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss